Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) What is the significance of the British 8th Army/Heeresgruppe Afrika cards? They get played during the Strategic Phase and say the turn can be repeated (skipping Housekeeping and Strategic Phases.) But if a player wanted to keep the turn going, wouldn't he just spend 1 SP during the Continuation Phase? What am I missing here?

2)Silly question- Tobruk Fortification levels can only be purchased when a battle takes place on Map 3, correct? The Allies could have their control marker pushed back to Map 3 following an offensive, but the Fortification Level can only be upgraded when the actual battle takes place there. Rule 8.5 is a little confusing to me because the Allies could initiate an attack from Map 3 to Map 2, and the levels wouldn't need to be upgraded.

3) In my campaign, the Invasion of Crete was a stalemate and the Malta Invasion failed. Per instruction, the Malta marker was removed from the game and "Malta is Active for the rest of the game". Does this mean the turn 10 "Deactivate Malta" and turn 13 and 16 "Activate Malta" events are just ignored?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer to question 1 is, I believe, that you get to rebuild units, boxes, etc. Only the Strategic phase of the Operational preparation is skipped.

I think the Tobruk fort can only be built when fighting on that map, otherwise the fort levels would have been printed on the play aid with the TEC and the turn track.

For Malta, I think you ignore everything else once/if the invasion fails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I still can't grasp the significance of the cards because players would have normally gone through their SPs during a series of player turns/continuations, so they wouldn't be able to purchase additional boxes/units.

2) I agree, but the rule wording is confusing.

3) That's what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away from my notes and stuff right now, but I recall the point is to launch another round of campaigning when you have your opponent in a weakened state already.

He can't replace all his units, so you take another go at him before he catches his breath. He's low on supplies, so kick him again. You want to clear a map to make a Malta invasion go off. You're losing a lot of troops next turn, so you want to take another crack while you still have the forces. Your opponent is getting a lot of forces next turn and you want to put him in a hole before his reinforcements come on board, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Why not just continue the turn playing 1 SP to accomplish the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you push someone off the map, the turn is over. If you play these cards, you can continue the fight to the next map while not changing the turn you are on. It allows you to ideally punch through 2 maps in one turn

If you are not pushing your opponent onto a new map, then there's little point to playing these cards as you noted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you. I never realized the intent of the card. Now I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe6778 wrote:
1) What is the significance of the British 8th Army/Heeresgruppe Afrika cards? They get played during the Strategic Phase and say the turn can be repeated (skipping Housekeeping and Strategic Phases.) But if a player wanted to keep the turn going, wouldn't he just spend 1 SP during the Continuation Phase? What am I missing here?

As Barry stated, this will give you the opportunity to replay a complete turn. The most important use is that normally after you have captured a map you cannot go to a new map in the same turn, you have to wait the next turn, even if you still have supply left. Only one map per turn is in play (unless you have an aborted offensive that is).

So those two cards could allow you, if you have enough supplies, to capture TWO maps in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
Ah yes, perhaps the best potential play of the game. You always want this combo when your side has a big advantage at hand - Brits vs the Italians, Rommels first counter surge, and once in awhile with the battles around Tobruk.

Glad to help!

Feel free to ask questions. Really like this game, but some of the concepts are a bit tough to wrap your head around initially

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is the timing and sequence of the play of British 8th Army or Heeresgruppe Afrika to continue a turn and offensive on a new map?

British 8th Army states "play at the end of a turn to repeat a turn, skipping the housekeeping (but do draw cards) and the Strategic Phase." Please confirm this means blitzes, shocks, and target/CBs remaining are discarded during the Removal Segment - there is *no* carryover of these markers to the new map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
What exactly is the timing and sequence of the play of British 8th Army or Heeresgruppe Afrika to continue a turn and offensive on a new map?

British 8th Army states "play at the end of a turn to repeat a turn, skipping the housekeeping (but do draw cards) and the Strategic Phase." Please confirm this means blitzes, shocks, and target/CBs remaining are discarded during the Removal Segment - there is *no* carryover of these markers to the new map.

This is correct, no "carryover" but note that since the Organization Phase still applies you'll get "new" Blitz/Shock" markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls