Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Auriel, elven sorceress/enchantress, materializes on the scene rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Auriel the elven Sorceress/Enchantress of Sword & Sorcery.
Pencils and Sculpted Figure (32mm Scale).
Pencils: Fabrizio Fiorentino
3D Model: Fausto Gutierrez"




"Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls includes two versions of each hero, representing parallel destinies of the same person, born from past choices that shaped the nature of his very soul. Therefore, each hero card side shows a hero’s different powers and color style.
Pencils: Fabrizio Fiorentino
Colors: Marco Matrone"




"More news about the mystical Auriel, here is the 3D render of her miniature!"

https://skfb.ly/FE7s

Crossposted from: https://www.facebook.com/SwordAndSorceryBoardGame?ref=hl
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that between adventures she had a career in adult entertainment industry. Nice rack!

Seriously speaking you will miss out ton of potential backers if your female models are straight from teenage boys daydreams. The modern style is more realistic looking female models who are more appropriately dressed for adventuring.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
I guess that between adventures she had a career in adult entertainment industry. Nice rack!

Galaxy Defenders had the same problem, unfortunately. At least there's more than one female playable character this time around in the base game, but it's a shame they're both so sexualized.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
I guess that between adventures she had a career in adult entertainment industry. Nice rack!

Seriously speaking you will miss out ton of potential backers if your female models are straight from teenage boys daydreams. The modern style is more realistic looking female models who are more appropriately dressed for adventuring.
Yea the Conan game suffered from that problem, skimpy or even nude minis cost them big time, I think they barely broke 3 million dollars that way...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
I guess that between adventures she had a career in adult entertainment industry. Nice rack!

Seriously speaking you will miss out ton of potential backers if your female models are straight from teenage boys daydreams. The modern style is more realistic looking female models who are more appropriately dressed for adventuring.

I disagree actually. If anything the reverse is true over here, although it may make a big difference in the US?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Mordjinn wrote:
I guess that between adventures she had a career in adult entertainment industry. Nice rack!

Seriously speaking you will miss out ton of potential backers if your female models are straight from teenage boys daydreams. The modern style is more realistic looking female models who are more appropriately dressed for adventuring.
Yea the Conan game suffered from that problem, skimpy or even nude minis cost them big time, I think they barely broke 3 million dollars that way...
1. It's Conan, it's not had to make big bucks on that name.
2. It's Conan. Skimpy outfits are part of the world, for men and women. Generally, anyone that knows about Conan knows the style of world.

Normally, the skimpy outfits aren't an issue for me, but the ones in this game just look comically bad. The rogue character has horns covering her breasts and nothing else. Is this a parody game? If so, spot on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering when the Prude Patrol would make an appearance.

Though considering the publisher isn't a US company, I expect they aren't worried about it. As mentioned, Conan didn't seem to be a problem. They had a few complaints but obviously the vast amount of backers didn't care.

Personally if they added a nearly naked male barbarian to balance it out, go for it!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, it's not the "omg skin!" that bothers me, the designs just look silly. It's like they took ridiculous WoW outfits, then chopped bits off to be more revealing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
To be clear, it's not the "omg skin!" that bothers me, the designs just look silly. It's like they took ridiculous WoW outfits, then chopped bits off to be more revealing.
Yea WOW has trouble selling as well...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I wasn't the one who mentioned money, right? That was Mordjinn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL you know I am just having fun on a post about skimpy female champs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Joe, the constant sparing between the pro-skin & con-skin does get entertaining. Once a sexy image shows up you can set your watch by how fast a complaint gets posted.

Personally I really like the miniature with the dramatic stance, flowing cape, and outstretched staff. And hope they don't cave in like some other games have after getting a few complaints. But it's up to the publisher of course. Whatever they decide, I'm excited about the game. I didn't back Galactic Defenders but have heard good things about it so looking forward to hearing more on this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they have a chance to make a lot of money. But I also know that there are people who will not back this game if the female models look like exaggerated porn dolls.

I have absolutely no problem with nudity, sex or other adult themes in games. Just make both genders equally so. If this is supposed to be a sexy cartoony game then why not say so in the description? Well I know why. It is because these kind of images are accepted as "normal" by many. That is why I think it is important to say these kind of things out loud, since otherwise will never change. For me this is not about one board game, it is about the culture and entertainment industry in general.

Conan is from the 1930's and it is now 2010's, almost 100 years have passed. I personally think it is time to challenge the designers to create something new. Or at least something even little less misogynistic. I'm not asking publisher to change the miniatures, just for them to be aware of what these kind of images actually stand for.

I've heard good things about Galaxy Defenders and S&S looks interesting so far. Just hoping for some female heroes with clothing better suited for adventuring.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think something everyone needs to consider is that the game is called "Sword and Sorcery". This kind of art style is very much consistent with the genre, hell someone up there even mentions that it's fine that the Conan boardgame did this because that's its style. Seriously, where do you think that style comes from? It's not because Robert E Howard is some kind of sexist pervert, it derives from the genre itself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zethnar wrote:
I think something everyone needs to consider is that the game is called "Sword and Sorcery". This kind of art style is very much consistent with the genre, hell someone up there even mentions that it's fine that the Conan boardgame did this because that's its style. Seriously, where do you think that style comes from? It's not because Robert E Howard is some kind of sexist pervert, it derives from the genre itself.

Just because objectifying women has been historically part and parcel with the sword & sorcery genre doesn't mean that they can't move it in a different direction, or at the very least try to make the scantily clad stuff empowering rather than objectifying. It's entirely possible to pay homage to tropes without falling victim to them. The problem isn't so much the skin itself as much as the fact that:

1) the male models are not showing any skin; they're armored up, as you'd expect for someone heading into medieval-style combat
2) the female poses are such that they intentionally draw focus to the women's breasts/butt/groins whereas the men are doing recognizable combat-oriented things

That last one is the real kicker for me personally. Thorgar is defending with his axe (or getting ready to smash someone with it). Laegon is gearing up to shoot an arrow through a goblin's eye. Ecarus is winding up to split skulls. As for Shae, she's...uh...jumping off a rock while contorting her waist to the side (is that even physically possible?) as she gets ready to scratch someone with her two knives before burying their face in her chest? I'm honestly not sure. And Auriel's simultaneously casting a spell while she somehow twists her hips inward because...falling over after you cast spells is fun?

These sorts of models scream "look at my boobs! I'm a sex object!" and that is a big turn-off to a lot of people (there's a reason not a lot of women have been involved in the fantasy genre historically).

I love the heck out of Galaxy Defenders, and I suspect I'll love the heck out of Sword & Sorcery (as you might have gathered from my obsession with posting the latest reveals), but I really wish that I could tempt my wife to play with me, and I just can't in part because the portrayal of women in the game turns her right off. For contrast, despite being lukewarm (at best) on the gameplay for Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn she's been willing to try it multiple times because the art, and particularly its approach to women, highly appeals to her (granted, this is a total apples-to-oranges comparison, since the genres and complexity levels are vastly different; women she'd want to play as would be a lure to get her past the complexity level of the gameplay which is one of her other big turn-offs on GD).
34 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This post was the end of the line for me. I usually don't air out my feelings on these subjects and prefer to stay quiet, as discussions such as this never tend to go anywhere. But I was compelled to chime in simply because of the extreme letdown I felt after my initial excitement for this title.

I personally don't want games with female characters like this in my collection not because I hate nudity or sexy female bodies, but because my wife and I share this hobby and I respect her desire to have options beyond this hypersexualized cartoon that is supposed to pass as good character design. It's frankly nonsense in this day and age, and I am very thankful that other options exist that have strong, realistically designed, outfitted, and posed females from which to choose. I could have given the rogue with nothing but some weird-ass, uncomfortable snake thing covering her breasts a pass if they'd at least given this enchantress some class.

Conan, BTW, was just fine. People here are correct; that's the style of Howard's Conan and the various media that followed. But you know what? The numbers on this game wouldn't change a lick if they'd put some sense into their female models. They're going to make plenty of money on this Kickstarter one way or the other. None of that money is going to be mine, and that's a damn shame because I wish I could love it.

I am raising a little girl and I want her to enjoy my favorite hobby with me. I would be embarrassed to hand her either of these miniatures.
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art, pose and style, but do agree that the female models could be slightly less sexualised.

I don't think the costume is the major problem, but I think if the breasts were not so HUGE and baloon like it would be fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the fact that her breasts are about 3 sizes too large for her outfit does seem rather... impractical. And to be honest; comical in this day and age.

And what the hell is wrong with her hips and lower spine? I seriously challenge the designer to stand in that pose in front of a mirror and keep a straight face....

It is quite sad when the word "sexy" automatically translates to Manga bimbo tripping all over herself in an attempt to get fu*ked.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls