Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this game in a long time, but I am going to write little strategy suggestions in case anyone is interested in getting a heads up on their competition. I played about 50-75 games of Boss Monster and found that certain things work better than others.

1. Do not use the boulder ramp early to kill heroes. This is a huge mistake, you will find yourself having to destroy rooms each turn to kill heroes and before you know it you will not have enough treasure to draw heroes in and you will fall behind or possibly die. People who do this are usually always rookies.

2. In a 3-4 player game, wait for one player to go for the win before you do. When this happens everyone in the game usually has to contribute their spells to stop the person, but it usually works. After that, there will not be much to stop you. Every once and a while this will not work out well for you, but I would say 4/5 times it will work in your favour.

3. Near the end of the game, specially if it is between 2 people, and you can take a single or 2 heroes and you have the damage to kill them and it will win you the game, GO FOR IT. Do not sit idle waiting for your opponent to make a mistake. Usually by this point a lot of the good spells are in the discard pile and your opponent will not have much to stop you with. I would not depend on a single spell either. Remember, there are more spells in the game which help your dungeon than hurt others.

4. During the build phase, only play spells during your active turn, and if you are going to do it to an opponent in the adventure phase try to do it on your active turn before they go (if you have higher XP, although I guess if you have higher XP you can do it to them anyways). Also if there is something you wish to do with your rooms during the build phase do it during your turn also.

5. If you have the Crushinator, consider using it on your active turn in the build phase. The Crushinator still works whether it is destroyed after it has been used or frozen. This way even if someone tries to freeze your Crushinator on their active turn you still get as many +2 bonuses to all your rooms as you destroyed rooms.

6. If someone else has the Crushinator, freeze it on your active turn only. Not much worse than wasting a freeze on a Crushinator because your opponent was active and was able to destroy some rooms and use the effect before you froze it.

7. Make sure you level up at some point in the game, and make your level up is effective. Do something with your level up ability, don't waste it away. I have seen too many rookies wait on 4 rooms for too long.

8. Save your spells for later in the game if possible. It is not worth killing a single soul hero for a spell early in the game. I would say if you get to the epic heroes and you have 2 wounds or less, that is very good. Bear in mind once the epic heroes come out, whether you have 1 or 2 wounds does not make a difference because no matter what it only takes 2 heroes to take you down (unless someone brings back one of your ordinary heroes from the grave, but that is rare). A spell should only be used for at the least saving 2 wounds OR saving a single wound and the hero has a fantastic item on him/her which you know is fantastic.

9. If there are 4 heroes of a single treasure type or more in town... specially if one of them (closer to the front) has a deactivate room item on them... and even more especially if they are epic heroes, STAY AWAY. I have almost always been burned whenever I have attempted to take on such an undertaking because usually someone has a spell to use and the item with the hero deactivates a room so even with a spell of your own you are going to struggle to survive. These are the sorts of things which can kill you in 1 turn, and you will usually think, wow, I never saw that coming. Even in late game this can be dangerous, only do it if you are CERTAIN you can take them out without dying due to wounds, and even then, tread carefully.

10. Early game you do not want heroes so if possible your first room should match someone elses boss treasure icon. Also, Brainsucker Hive is a fantastic first room to build (my fave, as well as the creator's apparently), I just watched a guy on YouTube play the digital edition and throw this one away when he discarded cards, all I could think was NOOOOOOO!!!!

11. When you have something that can screw someone over, ask other people if they have anything that can do something and possibly explain the issues if the player gets the souls from those heroes. In this way you can hopefully save a spell or two when someone else plays one, also they have used a spell against someone else instead of you so that is a bonus as well. This is kind of mean and sneaky, but it is a tactic I used when I played.

12. This may seem obvious, but know the rules. And I really mean KNOW the rules. There are so many little rules that can save you in certain situations in this game.

Other suggestions I could make are all about paying attention to cards other people have (items, rooms, heroes in town), but this is plainly obvious. You will find there are certain cards to look out for and should keep in mind. Some people may wonder why I am "giving away" all of these, but the simple fact is I do not play this game anymore really. I am trying to sell off my game because there is lack of interest in my group and I take it so seriously it is no longer fun for me. I am selling my game with the mini-expansion tools of hero kind in case anyone is interested (only if you are in the Vancouver area).

Hope these suggestions are put to good use. Happy slaying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this for the first time so I cannot offer much, but I have learned a few things.

1: Be uninteresting until you are strong. I wasn't drawing much attention until I was built up and better able to handle the heroes that came at me.

2: Have a strong room close to your monster. One of the other players drew the hero that only has 2 health, but bypasses the first 3 rooms. His last 2 rooms were good for 2 & 1, and he thought he was fine until I played the card that cancels out a room on his 2 leaving only a 1 damage room. He was rather disappointed to get wounded by a lowly 2 HP hero. (The other guy thought it was hilarious.)

3: Hold back something that negates spells for defence. Someone tried playing something on me to weaken me, but I blocked it, and prevented wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls