Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Prostate Cancer UK Board Gaming Day in Lancaster - Sunday 16th August rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kate Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's less than a week to go to the Prostate Cancer UK Board Gaming Day, it's next Sunday 16th August at the Lancaster House Hotel, just 5 minutes from the M6 junction 33. It's a completely free event, just turn up for a whole day of board gaming, 9am to 10pm.

As if a whole day of free gaming wasn't enough, we've got our huge board gaming raffle again with loads of great prizes. I don't have an exact number at the moment but it looks like a similar number to last year (we had over 80 game prizes at the last one), and we've got some really good prizes this year, including:

Mice & Mystics
Spielbox Magazine Subscription
Viticulture
Specter Ops
Urban Sprawl
Cash 'n' Guns
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
Board Gaming Cafe membership

And loads more besides! Check out the Geeklist for the latest list of prizes (we're still updating this week as more prizes come in):

Prostate Cancer UK Board Gaming Day

All money raised from the raffle will go to Prostate Cancer UK charity.

Who's coming? You just need to turn up on the day, so there's no need to tell us before hand, but it would be good to get an idea of who's coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I stayed closer! I would be there in a heart beat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to the Facebook event page we've set up for the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1483637065283050/

Feel free to invite anyone you think might be interested.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Robinson
msg tools
Coming for the first time this yea, can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - count me in.

I feel that I ought to attend - I was diagnosed with this recently, so you'll be able to see a scary example of what this ailment does to people. (Don't worry I looked like this BEFORE the illness!) laugh

I'll be wearing a t-shirt with my BGG avatar on the front. Looking forward to an early morning drive and a day's gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who, like me, have been looking for directions from M6 j33:

Lancaster House Hotel
Green Lane
Ellel
Lancaster
Lancashire
LA1 4GJ

(I am not on Facebook but have been told it's this particular Lancaster House Hotel. If I'm wrong please let me know!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the correct hotel.

Off the motorway at that junction. Right at the roundabaout, through Galgate and its a right turn just before the University.

I announced that I have 90 prizes in the raffle, think its actually over 100. Found a few prizes that I forgot to count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and my mate Paul will be coming from Stockton over the hills and be there about 10. Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hedges
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria, UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Three of us heading down from Cumbria. If it's as good as last year we'll be well chuffed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptCastle wrote:
Three of us heading down from Cumbria. If it's as good as last year we'll be well chuffed

Its better, that comes with a zero percent guarantee...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hellium wrote:
Myself and my mate Paul will be coming from Stockton over the hills and be there about 10. Looking forward to it.

Your not related to Paul who now manages a store in Darlington are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm coming again this year, with two friends. See you in 9 hours or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic day, really good games and company. Thanks Neil and his helpers :y some good raffle prizes too. Lots of money raised for a very worthy course. I'll be there next year!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our first visit to this event, and I must say we had a great time. My wife (who wouldn't call herself a gamer) is still buzzing this morning about how much she enjoyed the day. We met some really nice people, and of course, enjoyed several games. So I think this event will now become a fixture in our calendar.

I was alarmed to see my wife enviously eyeing up that awesome Geeknson gaming table. There's no way I could justify that expense. Fortunately, when it comes to making up our minds about that, I'm the manager in this household - my wife is only the decision maker. laugh

Many thanks to Neil and to those helping him, and also thanks to those who sponsored the event with prizes and so on.

The only bad thing to report is that there is now a whole 12 months to wait for the next one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday was fantastic.

We raised £1048.20 for Prostate Cancer UK and had 119 unique attendees at the event.

I am absolutely drained right now, but loved every minute. Sorry to the chaps I was playing with after the raffle as my brain was shot. Hope I was at least funny to see in action.

Anyhow this list is not extensive and in no particular order, as I'm sure I am going to miss somebody out. But I cannot thank everyone enough for making the event a success. These companies that helped out by donating games and putting faith in me and my team, it is very much appreciated.

Boardgameguru.co.uk
English Lakes Hotels Resorts & Venues
Plaid Hat Games
Tasty Minstrel Games
Haba Toys UK
spielbox
Esdevium Games
Stonemaier Games
Harlequin's shop
Grim Tree Games
Dice & Donuts

Good news, I am going to be running the event again next year.
Bad news for a few at least, no I'm not doing a 2nd event per year.

As of yet, I do not know what date it will be on and if you would like to already put yourself forward as a supporter. Please email me and we can sort out the arrangements.

I also have some big ideas for next year, so if you would like to be a part of the event and have a lot of drive to make what you do great. Please get in touch as I need 2 or 3 extra people to take on some big challenges.

Thank you to Hazel for manning the door and raffle ticket sales all day! Thanks to Penny, Steve, Kate and Rod for demoing games and supporting the event throughout the day and putting up with me.

I'll see you all next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls