Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be a little fiddly pushing the counters around and keeping track of what's going on. I'm interested in what ideas people have for streamlining the mechanics of play (I'm not talking about playing well, I'm talking about the mechanics of running the game).

Here are some ideas I've come up with:

d10-1 Store the US unit counters, including the "reduced" ones, in eight compartments of a Plano box, one each for turns 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 17, 28, and D+2. When the units for a given turn come into play, put any reduced counters for that turn into a new pile in the Eliminated Units box. This has two benefits:

1. Makes it easier to find the reduced counter for a full-strength unit (simply look at that unit's entry turn and search the relevant pile)
2. If at any time there are no reduced counters in the Elim Units box, you have suffered Catastrophic Loss (14.1) and lost the game; this is easier than scanning the whole map for 3 or 4 step units that might be hidden under other units or markers.

d10-2 When a unit takes a free action, use some kind of plentiful token to mark it as having been activated, so you remember not to activate it again. Units that take "paid for" actions don't need this, because they'll have a "US Action Taken" marker on them. For this purpose, I use clear plastic X-shaped spacers that tilers put between tiles to line them up properly (these are also good for Conflict of Heroes):

What other tips do people have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciccio Punksticcio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="game_boy"
d10-2 When a unit takes a free action, use some kind of plentiful token to mark it as having been activated, so you remember not to activate it again. Units that take "paid for" actions don't need this, because they'll have a "US Action Taken" marker on them. For this purpose, I use clear plastic X-shaped spacers that tilers put between tiles to line them up properly (these are also good for Conflict of Heroes)[/q]

In this case (when the damned HQ hit the beach safe and sound) I rotate units activated for free by 45 degrees because I don't like messy boards.

Ciap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use different color glass beads to mark actions. I use blue for a paid action. Green for a free action. Red to mark which positions are firing, which units have suffered a step loss during the Japanese fire phase, and which positions I'm CC'ing at end of US action phase. The beads are easy to slide around the map on my plastic poster frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaestroZen wrote:
[q="game_boy"
d10-2 When a unit takes a free action, use some kind of plentiful token to mark it as having been activated, so you remember not to activate it again. Units that take "paid for" actions don't need this, because they'll have a "US Action Taken" marker on them. For this purpose, I use clear plastic X-shaped spacers that tilers put between tiles to line them up properly (these are also good for Conflict of Heroes)

In this case (when the damned HQ hit the beach safe and sound) I rotate units activated for free by 45 degrees because I don't like messy boards.

Ciap[/q]

Same here, exept I rotate them 90 degrees. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.