Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Intelligent beings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Franck
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody has an idea how FFG plans to manage "intelligent" beings like humans for example ? I know it's not required yet, the closest to humans we get is Zombies.

But with the Trederran coming, there will be intelligent beings that not just run to contact while being shot at. I'm supposing they will be smart enough to get to cover and shoot from there.

The reason I'm asking is I believe a "Shadows of Arulco" would be really cool. It's applying the Shadows Of Brimstone boardgame system to the Jagged Alliance video game background.

But to do that, there needs to be decent IA for the enemies or they would just blindly run under enemy fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read nothing about how they plan to manage intelligent beings.

It might be something so simple as a reactive dice roll if attacked.

Hopefully it is something neat and easy, not too complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Jason was doing the Expanded Town preview at GenCon, the mission he demoed used Trederan Raiders attacking the large town combat map. He talked about using an AI deck to have the mobs attack with a little more brains than normal since they were primarily ranged attackers. I didn't see this AI deck, he just mentioned how sometimes the mobs would, based on the AI card drawn, now move toward the nearest enemy and shoot and sometimes they would seek cover before shooting, including backing up to the limit of range before shooting.

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfranck wrote:
Anybody has an idea how FFG plans to manage "intelligent" beings like humans for example ? I know it's not required yet, the closest to humans we get is Zombies.

But with the Trederran coming, there will be intelligent beings that not just run to contact while being shot at. I'm supposing they will be smart enough to get to cover and shoot from there.

The reason I'm asking is I believe a "Shadows of Arulco" would be really cool. It's applying the Shadows Of Brimstone boardgame system to the Jagged Alliance video game background.

But to do that, there needs to be decent IA for the enemies or they would just blindly run under enemy fire.

Jagged Alliance is my favourite game and boardgame adaptation could be nice. But Shadows system is very poorly eguipped for that IMO. Jagged Alliance is one of the most tactical games out there, Brimstone just a silly dungeon crawl romp.
You might want to check out my "Brimstone tactical" variant though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Franck
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ychor wrote:
When Jason was doing the Expanded Town preview at GenCon, the mission he demoed used Trederan Raiders attacking the large town combat map. He talked about using an AI deck to have the mobs attack with a little more brains than normal since they were primarily ranged attackers. I didn't see this AI deck, he just mentioned how sometimes the mobs would, based on the AI card drawn, now move toward the nearest enemy and shoot and sometimes they would seek cover before shooting, including backing up to the limit of range before shooting.

- John

Awesome. And it totally makes sense. Thank you.
Did anyone notice every time Jason faces a design issue his answer is "let's add another deck of cards !". Pure genious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
pfranck wrote:

I'd suggest Darkstone Brutes, Void Sorcerors and Tredarran Raiders are all closer to human than the walking dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious solution is to have another player run them as the opposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfranck wrote:
Ychor wrote:

- John

Did anyone notice every time Jason faces a design issue his answer is "let's add another deck of cards !". Pure genious.

Is it irony? :)
Not everything can be solved by adding a deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
pfranck wrote:
Ychor wrote:

- John

Is it irony?
Not everything can be solved by adding a deck of cards.

Pretty positive it was sarcasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Franck
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizzletop wrote:

Actually no. I tried to imagine several special rules and going with cards beats them all by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfranck wrote:
Fizzletop wrote:

;)

Actually no. I tried to imagine several special rules and going with cards beats them all by far.

In this case it looks like OK solution and I am looking forward to it.
Generally I don´t think this is a good solution for all game design problems :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
pfranck wrote:

I'd suggest Darkstone Brutes, Void Sorcerors and Tredarran Raiders are all closer to human than the walking dead.

There are some human bandits planned too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
dahak wrote:
pfranck wrote:

There are some human bandits planned too.

The figures listed were ones previewed at Gencon. So some people already have how they work, I missed the Trun Hunters and the Serpentmen and possibly the Harvestors.

On top of them we might expect The Cultists of the Red Hand, The rest of the Scafford Gang, the Bandits, Belial, Succubi, The other Tredarran's, Black Fang Tribe, Flesh Stalker, Wasteland Scavengers and possibly the Ancient One, Vampires, Werewolves, Lost Legion and Undead Gunslinger to be more sapient than the Walking Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.