Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Away Missions is my first Kickstarter ever and I can not wait for it arrive!!! I love the D&D Adventure System games, the Descent Co-op expansions, and Zombicide, so Away Missions seems right up my alley.

I've been re-reading the pdf of the rulebook in preparation, so when the game arrives I can get it right to the table. I've also been scanning BGG and the kickstarter page for new photos and info. The one GenCon photo I saw looked great. Surprisingly, plastic cubes look WAY cooler than I thought they would.

If anyone has the game, PLEASE, post impressions or play experiences to tide obsessed gamers like me over. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Adam!

Well, if you can believe it, I have been going just as crazy with anticipation for this game -- and I finally got my hands on a promotional/demo copy this weekend. (Stronghold Games only flew in a few dozen copies for the late-summer conventions, I think).

Anyway, the game looks really extremely totally great!

And you're right: the little transparent plastic cubes provide a striking ZAP of bright color on the table. The sparkly space-dice are also strangely dazzling.

I was also pleased by the substantial cardboard bits & tiles. All during play-testing, we struggled with our thin little homemade tiles... but the thick printed cardboard tiles are nice & hefty.

Of course, the minis look exquisite. I still can't believe that the game has 5 creepy little Brain-in-a-Jar minis!!

And at the risk of gushing like a proud parent, I have to say the rules and scenario booklets are pretty impressive, too. Big, bright and loaded with illustrations, etc. Bill & his guys did an amazing job.

I cannot wait for the game write-ups to start to appear.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Moak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am loving the game so far. I demoed the game for others at Gen Con probably 15 times and everybody made it through the first scenario basically unscathed.

When I got it home, my wife and I played through the second scenario twice and lost both times. We got really close on the second attempt, but my character got attacked by 6 saucermen at once and was killed.

I played it at a game store with 5 players on the third scenario. We accomplished our alien blood goals but got killed trying to return to the shuttlecraft. We triggered the red alert condition so aliens were just flooding out of the shuttlecraft. There was a glimmer of hope at one point where a brain in a jar was in the shuttlecraft and we overkilled it stunning all aliens in and around the shuttle. Unfortunately, we were a couple of hexes away from it still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
@Dan:
Sparkly Dice! I forgot about that detail. Worth the price of admission alone. And I'm glad the Brain-in-a-jar worked out so well. Really a one of a kind mini.

@Steve:
I'm glad to hear the game is not a cakewalk. The first scenario looks a bit like an intro, so I would expect that to not be too difficult. Personally, I'm excited for the Bug Hunt scenario (makes me think of the movie Aliens).
So glad to hear you're having fun with it. What did the other players at the game store think of the game?

Sadly, according to the latest post on the kickstarter page from Frank, it sounds like there are still quite a few hoops to jump through before any psychic screams are heard over here. Worth the wait, I'm sure.

edit: added last bit about the kickstarter post and spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Moak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other players seemed to like it as well. We were all talking about what we could have done better afterwards. One player thought we should be constantly on the move and less worried about killing every alien in sight. I tend to agree. The Red Alert stage was a killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that not everything a character does is relegated by action points, but by using devices and spending overkills. It seems this will keep gameplay from getting repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the latest expected ship date for Kickstarter backers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rabuck
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Denim Theatre
mbmbmbmbmb
As seen in another thread, looks like shipping will be sometime in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls