Subject: Sunrunners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Warnken
United States
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
Happy grandfather!!!
Sunrunners is the second supplement for Silent Death: the Next Millennium by Iron Crown Enterprises. It was written by M. Blaze Miskulin.

This supplement is an 80 page book covering history, new ships and new rules. Miniatures for the ships are available separately.

This supplement covers the survivors of Barat-Tuul whose home world was over run by the Night Brood. They became wandering mercenaries dedicated to fighting the brood pestilence.

The first section of the book covers the worlds of the frontier including Barat-Tuul. Each star system has information on its star type, its planets and population. This section is an excellent source of information for a campaign.

The next section covers the history of the Sunrunners, their current status, goals, and objectives. Good information for a campaign. Even if you’re not using it for that it is interesting to read.

Finally, we get to the section on new rules. The new cannons are the EMP Ray and EMP Beam. These weapons do only half damage against targets (except the Night Brood) but if you roll doubles or triple you get a bonus critical hit against the target. The stinger torpedo is a similar weapon. It does half damage against non-Brood targets but for each 12 you roll when figuring damage you get a bonus critical. Venters are new torpedoes that place 2 to 6 flak counters on the map. Any ship running into flak may take damage. This is resolved as a 3D6 attack doing high +1/4 drive damage (So a ship with drive of 16 would take high plus 4 damage points if the attack was successful). Also included are the rules for salvage claws and tractor beams from the Renegades supplement.

Following the weapon section are a list of each Sunrunner unit listing the commander’s name and skills, and the type and number of fighters in the unit. Eleven scenarios and a page of campaign ideas are included.

There are 11 ship displays:

The Curtis Shuttle and Borax freighter are simply targets and do not have official miniatures.
Three ship displays are of old ships:
The Crescent and Scorpion from Renegades.
A revised Epping from the basic set which still has typos.
The Six new combat units are:
The Windjammer is a small, fast fighter with a 5 barrel pulse laser.
The Wavecutter is bigger than the Windjammer but faster with two weapons for its pilot.
The Havoc is a 2-man superiority fighter with good speed and defenses.
The Avenger is a 2-man strike fighter whose primary armament is torpedoes.
The Spider is a slow 3-man gunboat with heavy armor.
The Catastrophe is a 4-man gunboat with medium armor and a good deal of weapons. This ship has a special rule that allows the 3 gunners to use any weapons on the ship. Useful if one of your crew is killed.

In summary this is one of my favorite supplements for Silent Death. The background information is well written and the ships are fun to use. When I first discovered Silent Death at Origins in 1996 most of the games I played in used these ships.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.