BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Ireland

Subject: What is a boardgame cafe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
msg tools
mb
Hey everyone,

So I've recently added a cafe section to Meeple Mapper and the time has come to populate the list.

I've got a little bit of a dilemma as to what exactly constitutes a boardgame cafe...and therefore who to include on the list.

I'd always envisioned them as venues entirely geared around board/card/tabletop gaming. A massive library, staff on hand to teach...and it also serves food and drink. Basically, it has to be what the venue is known for. What springs to mind are the likes of Draughts and Thirsty Meeples.

But I had a quick Google around and found these articles by Hexjam and Stylist who both have an much broader definition of the term. For example, I grew up in Leeds and can tell you for a fact that Nation of Shopkeepers has nothing more than 3-4 poorly maintained copies of Monopoly / Jenga.

I didn't want to come across as elitist, but my concern would be that adding examples of the 'lax' definition to Meeple Mapper would create some false expectations.

So...what's your opinion on the matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose for Ireland just go with public places where boardgames are played and you can get food. Some of the boardgame groups do not have a boardgame library as such and bring their games to an independent public house/ restaurant/ cafe etc. it would be great to have a listing of all these places and you could get more specific as the hobby grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
msg tools
mb
Hi Nigel,

Varduk wrote:
I suppose for Ireland just go with public places where boardgames are played and you can get food.

For me, from the perspective of Meeple Mapper, I'm just trying to meet expectation and limit disappointment. I wouldn't like to pin something and find out that someone went there expecting a big games library and there was just an outdoor chess set (see The Bell & Dragon). I started this same thread in the England forum and every respondent leant towards the library.

Varduk wrote:
Some of the boardgame groups do not have a boardgame library as such and bring their games to an independent public house/ restaurant/ cafe etc.

I'd actually go as far to say that most do that. It tends to be the wargames players, because they require larger tables, that have their own club houses. Boardgamers are pretty versatile and can just approach a place with a function room.

Varduk wrote:
It would be great to have a listing of all these places and you could get more specific as the hobby grows.

My only worry with that is that it would dilute the pool. Because I think most public house/restaurant/ cafe owners would welcome boardgamers; from a business perspective all they want is patronage that's guaranteed to match or exceed what they currently get (read: not nursing a coffee for 3 hours). So what would happen is that the cafe section would be HUGE and the gems like Draughts, Thirsty Meeples and some others that are opening soon would be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I know what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your map. Your definition. And no reason you can't have a couple of categories. It would be useful to know that even if a place isn't a BGC by your, or the common, definition that it has 5-10 BGG games: Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls