20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: More games than people to play them with! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dokter
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been slowly amassing a decent game collection over the last couple of years and a lot of my purchases have been guided from recommendations that I've read here, games that I've seen played online, and the occasional sale price that is just too good to pass.

But now I'm left with a bunch of unopened games and few people who are actually interested in learning and playing them. I've introduced a fair number to the hobby and can easily get a few together for games like Dixit, Sheriff of Nottingham, and King of Tokyo / New York. The trouble comes when trying to introduce and teach more obscure or complex games such like Dead of Winter and Game of Thrones (2nd Ed.) (I know these aren't necessarily considered very complex to the avid gamer, but to the non-gaming group with a limited attention span, these can be a tough sell!)

I'm not complaining though. I've been able to introduce a new game each time I hold a gaming night (roughly once a month) and always enjoy the company of friends. I've slowly started to learn to aim my purchases to be more in tune with what the group would play rather than what I'd be interested in.

Did anyone else have a similar problem starting up with the hobby? Or do most people have more gamers within their network that it was relatively easy to play the games you've wanted to play?

PS - Long time browser, first time poster! Just created my account tonight for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is going to be the answer you get: Keep playing what your friends like and find a gaming group to play the games you want to play more. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar situation. My collection is filled with " what a great game /cool mechanic" games that have either never been played or get played infrequently.

My family prefers lighter games like Medieval Academy and Carcassonne and the rest of my collection sits on the shelf.

My solution was to schedule game sessions with a small group of friends and we have gradually moved towards more complicated games. We still play lighter games (sometimes just a filler) to start the night off but we end up playing games like Battlestar Galactica or Lords of Waterdeep.

There is a local game store that hosts a game night as well that I used to attend frequently but a change in work schedule has prevented me from attending. If you can find a local game group that might be a solution for you as well.

Good luck and congrats on your first post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The 7 Stages of a Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say I am in the same spot as you right now.
Buying games that are in top 100/200 or games that I really like myself (sometimes just to have a game for every occasion :)

When bought, I usually play a demo game with my wife and when friends have time to play a game, it's usually something everybody knows already.

Quote:
Did anyone else have a similar problem starting up with the hobby?

Personally I don't see it as a problem (:
I love everything about this hobby. I love playing the games (duh), I love opening boxes and organizing components, I love the looks of my bookshelf (and hoping to love the looks of my gameroom someday :), I love to read rules after months of not playing a game, ... you get the point

And after becoming father of twinboys I am eagerly waiting for them to love this hobby as much as I do. (fingers crossed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankChris

Sounds like one of those good problems to have cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal philosophy is that I only buy a new game once I've played all the other games. I hate the idea of having unplayed games lying around so I make sure they get played.

I know the problem of having a group that will only play lighter stuff. I think James' earlier post is right: you've got a group that you can play Dixit, Sheriff of Nottingham, etc. with. Continue to play those games with those people and if they are too resistant to playing other games then you might need to find some other players!

Good luck with getting your games played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want to jump right into heavier games, I would try find some local gaming meetups (www.meetup.com) to meet more gamers.. this can be hit or miss, because you'll get a mixture of heavy and light gamers at these meetups, butif you're willing to lead/teach the games, you'll generally find someone to play it.

The other thing you can do is try to gradually increase the level of complexity of the games you play. Find game themes or game mechanics that some of the people in your group might be interested in and find slightly more complex games using those, or relate the new games to games they're already familiar with and enjoy.. It helps if you can say "This game is a push your luck game like King of Tokyo, but with...." Or "Chinatown is a property management, trading negotiating game like Monopoly." "Alien Frontiers is a resource management/area control game, like Settler's of Catan..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have kind of the same problem. At least the part with the unplayed games piling up...

But my gaming group is very open minded to try new games. In fact, we try out a new one every week. It just isn't enough to keep up with all the great games that arrive all the time...

But back to your problem, to get some of my older games played as well, I told my friends that we would have an "oldie" game night every once in a while. The reception was pretty good. Can't you ask your game group, if they could agree to a "hot on the shelf" game night every few months?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
I'm in just the opposite boat -- I found a meetup group that meets twice a week, and I enjoy it, but it is almost always heavier games, and while I will play them, they are not my favorite.

My lighter games (King of Tokyo/New York, Nefarious, Legendary, Baseball Highlights 2045, etc.) seldom, if ever, hit the table. Why don't you come here (Cincinnati) and hit up my gaming group, while I visit your place (don't know where in Canada you are, but I have loved everywhere I've visited there) and enjoy my games with your group? laugh

Seriously, though, a meetup group might solve the issue. (Don't know how widespread Meetup is in your area, though.)

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds familiar, OP. There are so many games that I want to play, but I don't buy them because I know they'll never get a chance. I don't have a consistent gaming group, and I'm generally too passive of a person to go out seeking opportunities. But I enjoy gaming when I get the chance, and of course browsing through BGG is a favorite activity of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have some friends that I play deeper games with but for the majority, I am part of a meetup group in my area that plays board games weekly at a nearby FLGS. I would checkout meetup.com and see if there is any board game meetups in your area where you can bust out your heavier games. Also, if you don't find anything there, check out if any of your FLGS has game nights. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned quickly to buy games suited to the groups more than they were suited to me. Problem solved. I also game a lot with my wife, so games for 2 are completely acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, ditto here. While I can introduce them to my group, we just don't have much time to really sit down and hammer out mechanics etc. I have 240+ games, and haven't played 20% of them I think! lol.

Welcome to BGG! Stop by in mid/late October and join in on the Secret Santa! It is a fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NurseDokter wrote:
I've been slowly amassing a decent game collection over the last couple of years and a lot of my purchases have been guided from recommendations that I've read here, games that I've seen played online, and the occasional sale price that is just too good to pass.

But now I'm left with a bunch of unopened games and few people who are actually interested in learning and playing them. I've introduced a fair number to the hobby and can easily get a few together for games like Dixit, Sheriff of Nottingham, and King of Tokyo / New York. The trouble comes when trying to introduce and teach more obscure or complex games such like Dead of Winter and Game of Thrones (2nd Ed.) (I know these aren't necessarily considered very complex to the avid gamer, but to the non-gaming group with a limited attention span, these can be a tough sell!)

I'm not complaining though. I've been able to introduce a new game each time I hold a gaming night (roughly once a month) and always enjoy the company of friends. I've slowly started to learn to aim my purchases to be more in tune with what the group would play rather than what I'd be interested in.

Did anyone else have a similar problem starting up with the hobby? Or do most people have more gamers within their network that it was relatively easy to play the games you've wanted to play?

PS - Long time browser, first time poster! Just created my account tonight for this!

I used to have a variety of groups that gamed at least once a week. at times, I was able to get in gaming 2 to 3x a week! (and one time, I played board games EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!). Back then, my purchase criteria was roughly 50% what I'd like and 50% what would get played by my gaming groups that no1 else already had, or didn't get brought in enough.

Now, I'm in a remote area where I could usually get in gaming once every 2 weeks. If I want more, I'll need to find more groups (they're there, but they're all private ), and often have to go to cons that are 2.5+ hours away. Due to this new situation, I don't really buy games anymore. Period. Exceptions include Planes for half off at a convention, and Tanga had a deep discount on another game here...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1408913/tanga-hurrycup-5-aft...

I can swallow a very small cost for games that are likely to never hit the table. OTOH, I wouldn't want to spend $50 on a good game even if my odds go up from 1% to 10%. Actually, that's what I tried to convey here...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391198/anybody-else-also-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
NurseDokter wrote:

I used to have a variety of groups that gamed at least once a week. at times, I was able to get in gaming 2 to 3x a week! (and one time, I played board games EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!). Back then, my purchase criteria was roughly 50% what I'd like and 50% what would get played by my gaming groups that no1 else already had, or didn't get brought in enough.

Now, I'm in a remote area where I could usually get in gaming once every 2 weeks. If I want more, I'll need to find more groups (they're there, but they're all private ), and often have to go to cons that are 2.5+ hours away. Due to this new situation, I don't really buy games anymore. Period. Exceptions include Planes for half off at a convention, and Tanga had a deep discount on another game here...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1408913/tanga-hurrycup-5-aft...

I can swallow a very small cost for games that are likely to never hit the table. OTOH, I wouldn't want to spend $50 on a good game even if my odds go up from 1% to 10%. Actually, that's what I tried to convey here...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391198/anybody-else-also-se...
We play, at the minimum, one new game per week. That makes it really easy to buy new games.

Pete (adds that a lot of games fail to hit the table a 2nd time, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, there's not enough hours in the seconds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valencia Victorious Von Verrata is the
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Cursed be and eternally damned those who would steal the games of the wizardinwhite
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be a lot more helpful if I knew which area of Canada you were in.

1. check www.meetup.com Hmmm, maybe it's time to buy a part-time weekend condo in Vancity . Weekend timeshare! . Look at all the Amazing Groups you have there!!! Perhaps time to make some new BGing friends?

2. Lots of regional forums and threads on here. I am so jealous of you, you live in beautiful Vancouver, *sigh*. Stanley Park or English Bay boardgaming! You can keep your 7% PST though .

3. Look at the principal mechanic of each boardgame you wish to introduce and then find a gateway game (dixit, ticket to ride, Cacao, One night ultimate vampire/werewolf, Ra, Broom Service, etc...). Break them in with the gateway game at least 3 times until they get bored of it and hungry for something more complicated, then POUNCE with that boardgame you've been watching the youtube videos and test playing alone! Mwhahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dokter
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'm in Vancouver and recently looked into Meetups but honestly, I'm happy with the friends I play with even if I can't always play the ones I'd like to all the time.

I think one other solution might be to look up single player games like Mage Knight to get my fantasy strategy fix on occasion. Speaking of which, any single player recommendations that would fit an RPG, sci fi, or 4X category?

Also another random question: does anybody do any events with Extra Life? I created a team recently but haven't started any kind of fund raising. I figured it would be a nice way to combine my hobbies and my profession and maybe even a way to introduce other like minded professionals to the tabletop side of gaming.

And thanks again for the replies! I knew coming in that the community here is very welcoming and can't help but wish I made an account sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three solutions, and I have tried all three. I must say, though, that I am lucky enough to have a group of hardcore gamers I play with once a week. Anyway, I started to feel this wasn't enough. To be able to play more, I have:

1. started playing solo games (Mage Knight is excellent).
2. started playing on VASSAL (or other digital solutions, like boardgames implemented for iPad).
3. started inviting colleagues and a few former students (I'm a high school teacher) which I know like strategy games. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask people. I have a group of colleagues I try to invite once a month, and these former students I try to invite twice a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls