Subject: Retreats... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thore Nellemann
Denmark
Nyborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had an incident where the ork player send a couple of nobs to a distant world with one on his objectives, get routed by my space marines, then end up in an adjacent system with another of his objectives. Very annoying.

Is it really possible to retreat units to another system with an uncontrolled world regardless of the presence of friendly ships? It doesn't make any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand. Units have to retreat along a valid path. So if he didn't have a path, he can't retreat and dies.

If he used an advande order, he has to retreat to a world he attacked from.

If he used a special effect of a event card to attack, he can't retreat at all, units die.

If he was a defender, than he can retreat to a uncontrolled system, but still requires a valid path and can't reatreat to a system attacker moved from.

Which situation happened in your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thore Nellemann
Denmark
Nyborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's the defender. In the manual it says that he can retreat to any uncontrolled (or friendly) world in the same or adjacent system. No mention of paths or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed a caveat about retreats as defender you MAY retreat to an uncontrolled world IF NO FRIENDLY WORLDS ARE AVAILABLE. You actually have to retreat to a friendly planet if it exists. Potentially causing unit limits to kill more off.

Paths DO still apply to ground units retreating as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thore Nellemann
Denmark
Nyborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If paths apply to routed units, why wouldn't it say so? It does make more sense. It's just not mentioned anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11 of Rules Referance, General retreat rules, first arrow/point (applayed to both the attacker and defender):

- Ground units must retreat along a legal path
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thore Nellemann
Denmark
Nyborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thx for spelling it out for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
You missed a caveat about retreats as defender you MAY retreat to an uncontrolled world IF NO FRIENDLY WORLDS ARE AVAILABLE. You actually have to retreat to a friendly planet if it exists. Potentially causing unit limits to kill more off.

Paths DO still apply to ground units retreating as well.

The way I read that you can retreat to an uncontrolled world if there is no path to a friendly one, not that you have to try and trace a path to a friendly world anywhere on the map.

In a case like the suggested first game map where orks have two adjacent worlds with objectives he could very well retreat from one to the other if there is no enemy presence even if he still controls planets elsewhere (but not adjacent to the fight) on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant was that you must move to a friendly planet if a path to one exists in an adjacent system. Even if it would not be beneficial. This is particularly a problem when dealing with ship retreats, because they do not require paths and will likely have friendly ships in nearby voids, not to mention a unit capacity of 3.

So yes, path required- caveat: you must choose a friendly planet within range, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Continuing the post above:

Within adjacent system range. (Ie you don't have to go to s friendly planet if it's two systems away) Kinda handy with oirk roks though because this has been clarified by the designer that it only works one instance per round, not for one complete order resolution per round. Ie you can Rok a few nobs over to a system two spaces away, they are nearly impossible to kill, so if they lose they can then retreat to an adjacent uncontrolled world because they don't have a valid path back to their friendly launch-off world - they are not allowed to Rok back during a retreat if they used it to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls