Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Gear Cards: Possible new Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I was thinking, Since I have almost all expansion and tons of Gear Cards. I mean Tons.

I was thinking is there another way to get gear cards, besides loot and scavenge?

How can we add more gear cards to be drawn in the game?

Looking for idea's, yes I will give you full credit. I just want to make them more useful.

One idea we had, was if you scavenge and find nothing, roll a D6 on a 6 get a gear card.

What idea's does everyone else use?

Thanks,

eagletsi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
You also get gear from various Encounters.

But as for house rules, you could add a "mystery box" gambling activity to the saloon. For $200 - $250 you can draw a gear card from the gear deck (as many loot-driven computer RPGs like to do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's a good idea.

Once per visit maybe, hmm.

I'm wondering if maybe we should have a black market location in the town.

With events and rules. For darkstone trade.

I might work on that when I have some time.

Even maybe when you camp at the campsite. That would give you a reason to stay there and risk the night more.

Something like if you stay at the campsite(Once per town stay), you may roll 1d6.

On a 5+ you find a secret stash of items left by another adventurer. Draw 3 gear items and choose 1 to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
At the GenCon expanded town preview, Jason Hill mentioned some of the new buildings like the Smugglers Den and the Street Market would have alternate ways to buy and sell stuff, just not sure if these new buildings would dip into the Gear deck or not.

- John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest although there is quite a few gear cards, I personally would be wary of giving more to the heroes. I think the game as it stands should be making it harder not easier for the heroes (especially at higher levels).

However if you wanted to get more gear cards into the game you could change one of the "nothing found" scavenge cards (and maybe a loot card also) to something along the lines of "find an old chest, roll 1d6: 1 - Snake jumps out!. Make an Agility 5+ test. If failed take a Poison counter, 2-3 draw one gear card, 4-5 draw two gear cards, 6 draw three gear cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Ychor wrote:
At the GenCon expanded town preview, Jason Hill mentioned some of the new buildings like the Smugglers Den and the Street Market would have alternate ways to buy and sell stuff, just not sure if these new buildings would dip into the Gear deck or not.

- John

The General Store in the base game occasionally has Gear or Artifact cards for sale already.

Plus the Saloon Girl gets a Gear card while pickpocketing if she gets any 6s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
dahak wrote:
Ychor wrote:

- John

The General Store in the base game occasionally has Gear or Artifact cards for sale already.

Plus the Saloon Girl gets a Gear card while pickpocketing if she gets any 6s.

I was going to mention the general store. There's already a built-in mechanic for gear cards appearing there (one of the store events). If you want more gear in your life, you could simply say that the general store always defaults to having 3 gear cards each town visit.

The other thing you can do (and what I do) is remove any duplicates from the gear deck. You could go further and remove any of the regular sidebag consumables from the gear deck, too, if you are looking to emphasize the more exotic items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Very intersting Idea about the General store.

Perhaps you draw 3 gear cards and add them to the general store for each town visit.

How do you cost them? Are they the same as the cost on the card? x2 the cost on the card?

Really liking this idea.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I believe that guidelines for costing them are written as part of the event on the location card.

Sadly, I don't remember the specifics. There's also an event for an artifact, and that one says something about "if no cost listed, then it costs XX" or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls