Subject: If I buy a 2nd core set... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK folks... check me on my logic here.

I sold off my first edition set which consisted of two core sets, in anticipation of buying the 2nd edition.

One thing I liked about my original set was that I could build "standard" decks from each faction off internet recommendations that were balanced. For my local group, I didn't see anyone really jumping in and doing any deckbuilding. But the decks built from two core sets felt more rounded out.

So now, the same dilemma. One core set or two?

My hunch is that I'll buy two core sets, and then someone smarter than me will suggest how to build 8 decks that are balanced from the cardpool of two core sets.

Thoughts?

I don't see the need for a third set. I don't plan on playing competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I'm seeing you are more likely to need two cores with the reboot: there's now 8 factions and the neutrals and only 20 or so cards for each faction.

Two cores at least lets you double up on important characters and get a 60 card deck going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to deckbuild, you need 2 cores. If you want to compete in tournaments, you should probably get 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a handful of games using the 4 starter decks built from a single recommended in the New Player Guide and found them to be inconsistent. It seemed like the player who drew their biggest characters won. So I've been toying with building decks from 2 cores and they so far seem much more interesting. If you want 60 card decks, you'll need to combine factions to get there (unless you only want 1-2 decks built at a time), and I recommend ignoring the loyalty restriction, otherwise you'll have to leave out a bunch of powerful (and fun) cards. If you're just playing within your own group, mixing loyal cards shouldn't be a problem.

I've built 5 decks without any card crossover from just two cores: Lannister/Greyjoy, Stark/Tyrell, Martell/Baratheon, single-faction Targaryon and single-faction Night's Watch. So far they seem pretty competitive against each other in joust. I've yet to try them in melee (since I don't have the physical cards yet), so I'm looking forward to that.

TLDR: Two cores seems to be a must, even for casual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm strongly suspected I'll pick up two copies. Heck, early on, I can take joy in trying to build balanced decks from two core sets to scratch that itch for myself. Then, I'm sure the interwebs will weigh in with their own ideas on how to build the better starting decks from core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
www.GameBrainPod.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who bought three cores at Gen Con and have been playing obsessively for the past 2 weeks, I can't imagine having less than three. Granted, I plan to play competitively, but I also play a LOT just for fun and with friends.

At the moment I'm struggling to build 4 strong decks out of 3 cores, mainly because of the lack of Littlefingers and Varys (you're gonna want at least 2 of both in most decks).

Also with three cores you're only going to have 3 copies of most of the best plots. There are a few auto-include plots you're gonna want in all four decks. Even with 3 cores one of your decks is probably gonna be wanting for a plot or two.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
www.GameBrainPod.com
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
I played a handful of games using the 4 starter decks built from a single recommended in the New Player Guide and found them to be inconsistent. It seemed like the player who drew their biggest characters won. So I've been toying with building decks from 2 cores and they so far seem much more interesting. If you want 60 card decks, you'll need to combine factions to get there (unless you only want 1-2 decks built at a time), and I recommend ignoring the loyalty restriction, otherwise you'll have to leave out a bunch of powerful (and fun) cards. If you're just playing within your own group, mixing loyal cards shouldn't be a problem.

I've built 5 decks without any card crossover from just two cores: Lannister/Greyjoy, Stark/Tyrell, Martell/Baratheon, single-faction Targaryon and single-faction Night's Watch. So far they seem pretty competitive against each other in joust. I've yet to try them in melee (since I don't have the physical cards yet), so I'm looking forward to that.

I agree fully about the recommended decks in a single core. I played 15-20 games with them, and truly they are terribly inconsistent and lead to VERY swingy games. One person dominates, the other gets trounced. Might as well toss a coin to see who wins, that's how much luck is involved with those decks. They're good for a game or two just to see a wide variety of cards, but I would recommend teaching new players with pre-built decks so they can see how the game really plays (duplicates are a huge part of the game and non-existent in the recommended core decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trilamb wrote:
At the moment I'm struggling to build 4 strong decks out of 3 cores, mainly because of the lack of Littlefingers and Varys (you're gonna want at least 2 of both in most decks).

Shouldn't proxies solve that? I mean, if it's just out-of-tournament enviroment I don't see the issue (except it might be a bit off-putting owning three core sets and yet having to see paper copies of cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Full apologies on this question - but I don't know where to turn for the answer and my searching for a thread on this led me here. I've never played a CCG or LCG for that matter but am really interested in trying one. Because of the theme of this game, both my wife and I want to give this a try. Both being newbs, we have no desire to play in any kind of tournament situation, and just want to have some fun games between the two of us. That said:

1) Is there enough in a single core set for us to have a good time, or would just the two of us playing this still require us to purchase two core sets?

2) Can anyone direct me to a link or site where CCGs and deck building, and the various topics are explained for newbs? I'm getting lost in the lingo and just can't find any entry level explanatory stuff.

Our research on this game has really excited us - but I'm worried I have to immediately buy two core sets to enjoy it - even during causal play with my wife. Feel free to send me a geek mail if you're patient enough to respond and if you don't want to clog this thread addressing what are clearly neophyte questions. Apologies and gratitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
Full apologies on this question - but I don't know where to turn for the answer and my searching for a thread on this led me here. I've never played a CCG or LCG for that matter but am really interested in trying one. Because of the theme of this game, both my wife and I want to give this a try. Both being newbs, we have no desire to play in any kind of tournament situation, and just want to have some fun games between the two of us. That said:

1) Is there enough in a single core set for us to have a good time, or would just the two of us playing this still require us to purchase two core sets?

2) Can anyone direct me to a link or site where CCGs and deck building, and the various topics are explained for newbs? I'm getting lost in the lingo and just can't find any entry level explanatory stuff.

Our research on this game has really excited us - but I'm worried I have to immediately buy two core sets to enjoy it - even during causal play with my wife. Feel free to send me a geek mail if you're patient enough to respond and if you don't want to clog this thread addressing what are clearly neophyte questions. Apologies and gratitude.

You're fine with 1 core

Check out www.cardgamedb.com for game of thrones and other lcg deckbuilders and articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:

You're fine with 1 core

Check out www.cardgamedb.com for game of thrones and other lcg deckbuilders and articles.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. This forum is just amazing...

CD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:

You're fine with 1 core

Nope.

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win buy three cores, or you die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So what do you get in a single set? How many copies can you run per card? How many cards do you need for a deck? Can the house cards be mixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemysław Rodzoń
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
You get 1 copy of most of the cards. Some are doubles, and 2 neutral (economy) cards in 4 copies.
In main deck you can have 3 copies of each card. In plot deck you can have 1 copy of each card (with exception that you can double 1 and only 1 card). Main deck is 60+ cards, plot deck is exactly 7 cards.
You have to choose exactly 1 faction card for your deck, but you can add banner card of one other faction (these 2 doesn't count to deck size). It lets you add non-loyal cards from these faction to your deck. Of course, you can always use neutral cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ady Blake
United Kingdom
Dundee
Tayside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:

Any chance you could post the decks or include links for them please, would be most appreciated.

Mufferz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mufferz wrote:
Any chance you could post the decks or include links for them please, would be most appreciated.
Sure! I should note that these decks ignore loyalty restrictions on the bannered faction, so they're not strictly legal by tournament rules, but they are fun for casual play.

Martel/Baratheon
Lannister/Greyjoy
Stark/Tyrell
Night's Watch
Targaryen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls