Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: ...so I clearly cannot drink the glass in front of you... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Somtimes, usually on turn 3, the USSR knows that the US has Defectors in their hand. Would you consider headlining Defectors in this situation? Would you consider headlining a bad scoring card in a region you could fight for, or a strong US event as the USSR? In any case it's always a great chance for trash talk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interesting - I normally wouldn't headline it, any experienced USSR player knows you have it and will likely headline a Scoring Card for a region he's not doing well in or that is a wash, or something like Romanian Abdication where he doesn't care much if it doesn't happen.

You should still do it the very odd time just to keep them honest.

As USSR I definitely wouldn't headline something strong for the US, but if I have nothing better and can dump Truman Doctrine or the likes, that's as good a time as any to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 3 Defectors is an interesting dilemma for both players. I played a game a few months ago where the USSR player tried to headline a DEFCON suicide card expecting to have it nullified by Defectors.

I played Duck and Cover instead and he lost by DEFCON suicide after all.

There's definitely a psychological mini-game when Defectors is in U.S. hands at the beginning of Turn 3. As the USSR, I generally do my best to play an event that I don't care about or a scoring card that isn't going to hurt me one way or another. If I feel confident about reading my opponent, sometimes I'll attempt to do something crazy, but as the example above illustrates, that can easily backfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had one game a while back where I tried to burn off Truman Doctrine in the headline Round 1, but it got Defected.

I tried again in Round 4, and it hit another Defectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls