6 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Free People's with 4 points and Shadow Army with 10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This situation almost happened in my last game with my wife. Seeing I had no chance to dunk the ring in time and with 3 points, I sent a lone Elf Elite to attack Angmar. Interestingly Angmar had two elites but I got good rolls and it came down 1 regular vs. 1 regular. If I had taken Angmar I would have had 4 points to 9, but she would have reached 10 before the end of her turn. Who wins if at the victory point check the free peoples have 4 points and the Shadow Army 10? What about if Free Peoples reach 5-6 or Shadow Army reaches 12? Does that make a difference or break a "tie?"

Bonus Question: Can the shadow player card "Dreadful Spells" be used to send Nazgul to attack a free player's army in a stronghold if the besieging army contains Nazgul? It didn't seem to forbid this so I am assuming the answer is "yes." Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The victory conditions in the rulebook state that there is a fixed order in which you check for military victory. I believe Shadow trumps FP in case of a tie, but I'm not 100% certain. Please check for yourself in the Rulebook under 'Victory conditions', as I don't have it at hand at the moment.

I don't believe that any number of points in excess of 4/10 makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
This situation almost happened in my last game with my wife. Seeing I had no chance to dunk the ring in time and with 3 points, I sent a lone Elf Elite to attack Angmar. Interestingly Angmar had two elites but I got good rolls and it came down 1 regular vs. 1 regular. If I had taken Angmar I would have had 4 points to 9, but she would have reached 10 before the end of her turn. Who wins if at the victory point check the free peoples have 4 points and the Shadow Army 10? What about if Free Peoples reach 5-6 or Shadow Army reaches 12? Does that make a difference or break a "tie?"

Bonus Question: Can the shadow player card "Dreadful Spells" be used to send Nazgul to attack a free player's army in a stronghold if the besieging army contains Nazgul? It didn't seem to forbid this so I am assuming the answer is "yes." Thanks.
The answer is on page 44 of the rulebook, although it's easy to miss. In the event that both players achieve the required victory points for a military victory on the same turn, the Shadow player wins the game. It doesn't matter how many points you have beyond the 4 or 10 required to win.

Dreadful Spells can be used on a besieged army. However, if they kill the army any companions with the army are not killed. They only die if they are with an army that is killed in a battle, and Dreadful Spells isn't actually a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The above is correct. Page 44 of the second edition manual.

Note that lower-number Victory Conditions take precedence over higher-numbered Victory Conditions, if two or more are achieved on the same turn.

Ring-Based Victory: any time during the turn...without waiting for the Victory Check phase.

1) Corruption of the Ring-bearers. 12 or more corruption points.
2) Destroying the Ring. Less than 12 corruption points.

Military Victory Condtions:

3) The Shadow Conquers Middle-earth. 10 points for Shadow.
4) Sauron is Banished from Middle-earth. 4 points for Free People.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if the lower-number VC takes precedence over high-number VC's then the free peoples would win, right? Or am I missing some syntactical thing here?

EDIT: I was missing the fact that you meant the numbers before the VC's and not the amount of VP's a player has, sorry :'(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I did pull out the rule book to check during the game, but in my scan over that page must have missed that exact rule. It's good to know.

Also helpful to know about Dreadful Spells. I lost Aragorn to that card together with my last two units in Minis Tirith because I thought he had to die with the army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls