Popular Tags: [View All]
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever considered making the very act of choosing a game; a game in itself?

This would be huge for a lot of you, but imagine doing a dice roll chart to pick what game you're playing for the evening (or just the first one of a marathon).

Would you go for broke and do a multi level chart for everything you've got, or limit it to your top 20 faves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often choose what game we will play in our weekly gameday at random.

Pete (does that more than half the time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one gathering a year we do totally random choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my main group of friends we usually pick a category and roll from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG app has an option to select the number of players, the length of time, and depth of game and then randomly select a game from your collection that meets those criteria, so no chart making necessary. I haven't used it to actually decide what to play, because there is usually a game or a small set of them that I'd like to try at any given session.

As for making a game of choosing the game, I have made an attempt or two at making a game based off of the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony where the inhabitants of the plant play "The Game" where the two players make selections in a grid to narrow down to a specific contest they will do between the two of them, which could be physical, mental, artistic, or a game of chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaxyZento wrote:
Have you ever considered making the very act of choosing a game; a game in itself?

This would be huge for a lot of you, but imagine doing a dice roll chart to pick what game you're playing for the evening (or just the first one of a marathon).

Would you go for broke and do a multi level chart for everything you've got, or limit it to your top 20 faves?
whenever we decide on which game to play (tile) and which table to play it on (lot), I joke we're already playing Chinatown and don't need to bother with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have done this in my game group. Roll a die for the shelf, roll a die for the shelf level and then roll a die for the game (or select from that shelf).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of my small games in a card catalog. From time to time, I'll ask someone to pick a letter and then someone else to pock a number and we'll see what we play.

Also there is I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? I printed up and used a couple times, but was way to hard to keep the deck up to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaxyZento wrote:
Tom Vasel did a short review of such a game a short while back, it seems to have been a bit so-so though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I use the BGG widget in my profile which shows three random games in my collection and I pick from one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Yep. I use the BGG widget in my profile which shows three random games in my collection and I pick from one of those.

I have heard talk of this. Will have to check it out.

I like the whole dice/shelf idea too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

Hmm, How can I acquire this?

RoaringPossum wrote:
The BGG app has an option to select the number of players, the length of time, and depth of game and then randomly select a game from your collection that meets those criteria, so no chart making necessary. I haven't used it to actually decide what to play, because there is usually a game or a small set of them that I'd like to try at any given session.

Really? I didn't even know that existed! I'll have to look into it!!! Does it have an option to look through a different user's collection? I'd like my gaming group to be able to tell me what to bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
Scottgun wrote:

Hmm, How can I acquire this?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekwidget.php

Put it in your profile, then visit your profile when you want. It changes each time you visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Since reducing my collection down from 350+ to only 80-something, I could randomly pick any game now off my shelves and love playing it. So yes, I could play a game in my collection at random ... I should try that next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sheldon post up there is a classic.