Smash Up: Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Bowen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm a big smash up fan and I already know I'm gonna pick this one up when it's in stores but I'm curious to know more from anyone who already has it. What are your thoughts? How do you feel about the monsters/treasures? What are your perceptions of each faction's play style? (Read: a review would be awesome. And pictures.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple games of this since acquiring it at gencon. Here are my basic thoughts. With this expansion my Smash up big box is about half way full.

Thieves rely on treasures both in hand and in play. Additionally they have ways a gaining and stealing treasures.

Warriors have lots of minion destruction cards like the Ninja faction and power boosts.

Clerics recycle cards from their discard pile primarily and have some minion buffs and debuffs.

Wizards have lots of discard cards to gain X effect, where X can be extra actions, extra minion plays, or extra power.

Elves I haven't quite figured out as most of there cards are help other players for a minor boost to yourself or no boost at all. The hardest card to use well is trade. You take a random card from one players hand and give them the trade card rather than discarding it. The only way I can think to use trade is to help you pop a base you are already winning if you get one of their minions. (The minion is controlled by the other player when played).

Orcs have the most powerful minions with three strength five minions and want to be first for scoring. Also several minions that ignore other players card effects.

Halfings get lots of extra minion plays.

Dwarves get bonuses for treasures and acquire lots of treasure. Not sure they are balanced in a straight up munchkin game, but what do I know.

Monsters have varying effects and are a nice addition. Some are undead while others are not. Most have a treasure value of 1, 2, or 3. Some have treasure values of 0. Web Trolls cause more monsters to be played. The Dragon is the harshest in that it destroys all minions of power 2 every turn.

The treasurers are primarily actions that attach to minions with buff effects or that give bonus actions or minion plays. There are two minions that are in the treasure deck also that are of power two if I recall correctly. That go into your hand when acquired via killing monsters or popping bases with monsters on them (if the monster has a treasure value greater than 0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so now we have two wizard factions? I would think they would have named them something different from an existing faction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
so now we have two wizard factions? I would think they would have named them something different from an existing faction

Sorry, my mistake. It was Mages faction not Wizards. Darn my D&D poo brain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
alexankh wrote:

They are called "Mages." The rules are available for download and show the 8 faction names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Marks
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (or at least I thought) the faction in the Munchkin expansion is called Mages, not Wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks x3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.