Darci S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
You know how it goes - you buy something and then it sits in the game closet, except when you take it to game gatherings where it gets passed over for something newer, or easier, or whatever. You know it would be amazing if only you could get people to play.

Mine right now is Bora Bora. It's so pretty! I do think I have a good chance of getting it to the table soon.

My poor husband keeps dragging around his copy of Arkwright. I've actually promised him that we'll play it on his birthday in January if he can't find a partner before then - pretty sure I'll be keeping that promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 12+ hour games for me:

Advanced Civilization
History of the World
Magic Realm

Pete (will never convince his game group to spend that kind of time on one game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is the longest game I own. Played it once as a 4-player game and it took roughly 4 hours with at least a 20 minute explanation up front.

Bora bora is a sweet game, by the way. You've gotta find the chance to get it to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was Greenland for a long time - as it's rather long, initially opaque and (I think the real problem) needs exactly three to play. (I know there is a two player variant but I really wanted to play it as designed.)

However, I finally got it to the table at a weekend gaming event and it attracted so much attention that I played it, with different groups, three times over the course of the weekend.

It was definitely worth the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game plus all the expansions.

I managed to get them to sit down and try it out, but my fumbling on rules explanations bored everyone to tears and we didn't make it 4 rounds in.

I played it again at GenCon and got a full game in, and have a full grasp of the rules now--I just don't think I can get my group to try it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylla seems to be one of those games for me. I have it for quite some time now and still haven't managed to bring it to the table yet. It seems like it appears to be too unspectacular. The game itself sounds and looks so intriguing though, I'm really looking forward to playing it (hopefully) soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any large multiplayer double-blind wargame, a situation where I as a player am as concerned about the movements of my allies as much as that of the enemy.

Kriegsspiel in particular, but something like Napoleon's Triumph with 8 and limited press would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to get Patchistory on the table. It seems like a conceptual step up from 7 Wonders, which my whole group enjoys, and I think they'd really dig the crunchier aspects of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
It's the one thing that stops me from buying Forbidden Stars on the spot: the fact that it doesn't come with 3 players included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords: Festival Season

OK technically played it once but it requires such a specific group.

-Exactly 4 players
-All played before
-4 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasco da Gama. I take the box out of the bag. Derek says, "Hey, wasn't that the game that Tom Vasel threw off a roof?". The box goes back in the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two: Android for one, but as soon as I saw this thread title I immediately thought Earth Reborn. Such a labour of love, but oh so difficult to explain. I doubt I'll ever play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Here I Stand

Set it up a couple of times. Played a turn or two solo, and another initial turn with my eldest son. Read and re-read the rules.

Beautiful game, but it was never going to happen, so it ended up being sold. Regret.

Antiquity

Another one that got set up repeatedly, but just never happened.

Also sold. Got what I paid for it, so no harm financially, but...regret.

If only you'd looked for other groups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Lavoie-Desbiens
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
As for me, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) is the game I can't seem to be able to bring to the table. People feel like it's awkward and too long to play .

As for TI 3, I haven't bought it yet just because people doesn't want to play a game for 6 hours (but they can play cpu for hours long) :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hillean wrote:
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game plus all the expansions.

I managed to get them to sit down and try it out, but my fumbling on rules explanations bored everyone to tears and we didn't make it 4 rounds in.

I played it again at GenCon and got a full game in, and have a full grasp of the rules now--I just don't think I can get my group to try it again!

Offer to provide snacks and beverages for the group if they give it another go. Free stuff makes people more amenable to most things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twilight Imperium, but the playtime and rules are overwhelming.
Space Hulk, but I made a personal rule that I wouldn't play it until I painted it. I'm not painting it until I have more practice on some of my other minis games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
The 12+ hour games for me:

Advanced Civilization
History of the World
Magic Realm

Pete (will never convince his game group to spend that kind of time on one game)

If we ever find ourselves in the same place, I'm up for these games. Are you willing to join me in Empires of the Middle Ages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum: Empires.

I backed it because it looks gorgeous, gameplay seems like it will fit our styles/likes, and I love the theme. I do a lot of gaming with just one other person, so hopefully I can convince people at the weekly boardgame meetup to play this one (although it does come with 2p rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

If I'm not at home trying to convince my wife to play Race for the Galaxy, then I'm likely at one of my friend's place trying to convince them to play Dominant Species. At least with Dominant Species I get it... it takes time. - But considering the type of games my wife likes, I just don't understand why she has such distain for Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pimentel
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner.

Easily. Out of all the current games I own, this is hands down the hardest for me to get to play. Plays so far? Zero. My gf won't even play MtG, and her son and I play all the time. There's no chance of her playing. My brothers barely want to play MtG unless they're together, so no chance with them, either. Unless I find someone that already knows how to play, this will sit alone for a long while.

That being said, I know I'd love this. On the bright side, I'm not spending a ton of money on expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look around for an Android Netrunner league or group -- one of our game group plays this competitively now and is always going to tournaments. He's the only one in our group that does so, but he finds places to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryBearTony wrote:
Android: Netrunner.

Easily. Out of all the current games I own, this is hands down the hardest for me to get to play. Plays so far? Zero. My gf won't even play MtG, and her son and I play all the time. There's no chance of her playing. My brothers barely want to play MtG unless they're together, so no chance with them, either. Unless I find someone that already knows how to play, this will sit alone for a long while.

That being said, I know I'd love this. On the bright side, I'm not spending a ton of money on expansions.

Is there a reason you can't play Netrunner with her son?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Honto nanoda,
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Die Macher for me. I found a really cheap copy of the German (good) edition in perfect condition. Then not so much happened. Can't bring it to games night because it's a 4-5 hour game where everyone should at least take a look at the rules beforehand. Can't get five players to schedule a dedicated session because... pretty much the same reason, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
Mare Nostrum: Empires.

I backed it because it looks gorgeous, gameplay seems like it will fit our styles/likes, and I love the theme. I do a lot of gaming with just one other person, so hopefully I can convince people at the weekly boardgame meetup to play this one (although it does come with 2p rules)

I backed this game too, and I feel the same way too! It filled a niche that my collection lacked, and I was sold on the look, design, and streamlined rules and mechanics. I'm hoping that this game would be received well with my main gaming group. This is the reason that I'm hesitant about getting the add-ons if my group doesn't like the game. I was thinking of getting Freedom: The Underground Railroad with my extra pledge (I pledged $100), but I'm even more worried that won't see any table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ryan
United States
Lee's Summit
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly: The Game