Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That moment you realize that you are going to have to participate in the second auction, two other players are happily picking up their cards whereas you and your opponent are silently(or not) evaluating your options. You can discuss and argue and maybe one of you will choose a different color gem, or you try this:

Make sure you speak first and hard claim to your opponent that you are bidding the same gem again. This forces them to make a decision, either block you(and themselves) or make a different choice, either way you are blocking them from their desired card and more often than not I've found that when doing this opponents almost never bid against me.

I'd like to see some broader results from testing this theory and hear a deeper physiological explanation of why this happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this once or twice in one of my games. When the first auction was resolved, I said to the other player:

Quote:
I want this card, and I won't change my mind.

And it worked. So yeah, I agree with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do the same thing during the first auction in a 2p game. Worst case, you both lose gems which hurts both players about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this happen this past weekend. I didn't speak my preference first, but the other player responded to my question affirming her desire for the same card we had previously conflicted on, so I went with the other remaining card. I didn't want to lose another gem, and the other card was only marginally worse, so I went for it.

I ended up winning by 45 points (my first time scoring over 100), so it really wasn't a big deal. Only on rare occasion is a card going to be a "must have" card, so it's better IMO to settle than to keep losing gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
I had a game last night against a player who aggressively claimed the cards she wanted. The third player and I both fought for it anyway if there wasn't another card that was just as good.

For my part I don't feel like I'm putting myself in position to win if I routinely give up first-tier cards to a pushy opponent. But I was also gem-rich in that game, under other circumstances I might have been more willing to cave. Hard to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I had this happen this past weekend. I didn't speak my preference first, but the other player responded to my question affirming her desire for the same card we had previously conflicted on, so I went with the other remaining card. I didn't want to lose another gem, and the other card was only marginally worse, so I went for it.

This, is that card worth potentially wasting another gem? I love that this game, for how random it is, has so many meaningful decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If both do it each time, it will start to mean nothing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
If both do it each time, it will start to mean nothing though.
+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mbmbmbmbmb
An important point are the gears in your pyramid. If I have more than an opponent who bids for the same card, a forced passing will benifit me more than him (you get back more gems than he). But it's maybe also important who gets to pick gems first (lowest number on a card in your pyramid). And I might even use this for bluffing, when I don't have enough gems of a color to bid three times for the same card.

So many layers of tactics, such a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls