BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: When to create a page for your game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone - first time designer here and I've recently gotten a game to prototype stage.
I'm pretty happy with the game so far but I am now embarking on playtesting. I am starting with my friends, then a local playtesting / gaming group, then 'strangers'.
I don't estimate that the game will change hugely now, but my prototype may be tweeked slightly if balancing issues and dominant strategies emerge.

So my question is this: at what stage should I create a BGG page for the game - it is my understanding that games need not be published to have a page, however I can't seem to work out how 'in progress' games can be.

Furthermore, would it affect my chances when pitching to publishers if the game is already out in the world (albeit in a prototype version).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hard-earned advice is that it's okay to make a page for a prototype, especially a late prototype. But don't make the page until you're comfortable getting a low rating for your game.

(If you don't know if you'll ever be comfortable getting a low rating for your game, this may be a good time to reconsider game design as a hobby. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When is a game ready for entry in the database?

...For self-published games and user-designer efforts, a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form. If details about the game are still being resolved and the rules are still being changed over the course of the play-testing, the game is not sufficiently finalized for a BGG entry.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Guide_to_Game_Su...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that asnwers my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.