Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I hope you are good. I was wondering if I could get a bit of help from you. I don't really understand how a turn goes here. Please read below and let me know if that is right or I'm missing something.

1. The first dealer will deal the cards according to the number of players in game.

2. Then each player passes 3 cards to the player on her left or right, alternating these directions.

3. Then each player lays down a card on the table that must be the same rank or color of the card that the leader played. The player with the highest number gets all the player cards face down in front of him.

So this is when my first question comes, what happens after this? Should you pass 3 cards again? or you just play a new card after the leader?

Why in the rulebook says "after the first deal, the deal proceeds clockwise around the table, each player dealing in turn"? Doesn't the deal only happen once at the beginning of the game?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The "deal" is the distribution of cards to start each "hand" of play. After the deal, cards may be passed, and then play proceeds as with other trick-taking games. The full game is made up of a series of hands played, and there is a new deal and passing of cards at the beginning of each hand. Scores are tallied after the end of each hand, and the game is ended when someone reaches the winning score.

Does that help?

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response Justin. I'm sorry, I don't get it yet.

When exactly you start a new hand of play? when the current hand is exhausted? Passing the three cards is after all players played a single card? or just after players have a new fresh hand?

Also, for a three player game the score must reach 200 points. Is that the sum of all players points or when one player reaches 200 that triggers the end of the game?

Thanks for your patience in advance, Justin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, it seems that you don't know any trick-taking games at all.... that's okay, everyone starts somewhere, I'll go through the play step by step.

1. The game starts with the first "hand" to be played. You can think of this as one round of play, and it can be a bit confusing at first because the round is usually called a "hand" in English, but the cards that each player holds are also called his "hand". However, each "hand" that is dealt gives a new "hand" to each player, so that is why there is an overlap in meaning. To start the hand, there is a "deal" to distribute the cards to the players.

2. After the deal, the players pick up their cards, examine them, and decide which cards to pass, if cards are to be passed to start that hand. After the pass, if there is one, players again examine their cards and prepare to play out the hand. Cards are passed only one time in each hand of play.

3. After the pass, the first player starts play by placing one card on the table, which is called "leading". This time during which each player will place one card is called a "trick". After each player has played a card according to the rules, the trick is complete, and whoever wins the trick takes those cards, places them on the table in front of him, and then leads a card to the next trick.

4. Play continues with cards being led to each trick, and the winner of each trick leading to the next trick, until the final card in each player's hand is played. This completes the hand of play.

5. When the hand is complete, each player adds up his score according to the cards that he has captured, and that is added to his total to that point. If anyone has a total of 200 points or more, the game is over; if nobody has yet reached 200 points, then the cards are gathered and shuffled and a new hand is started, beginning with a deal and a pass, and then the play of cards until that hand is also completed.

Does *that* help?

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understood now. Thanks for all your help Justin. Unlike Arboretum, this one didn't have any examples so it was a bit tricky.

Thank you a thousand of times for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You're quite welcome, I'm happy to help; be sure to post again if any other problems come up.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Justin and guys,

I hope you are well. I tried to play the game for first time the last night and I still have some questions.

- The lead card is the first one that was played or the last one?

If the first card played is a green 4, the rest of the players must play a 4 of any color or any green number. Is this right? Because the way we were playing was like this:

Player A: played a red 4
Player B: played a red 3
Player C: played a green 3
Player D: played a green 7

Who takes this trick? Red 4? Because it's the higher rank of the color leading the trick?

The new card we play after the lead card is based on the card that is on the top, so if the second player played a red 3 the next one should play a 3 or any red card. Is this right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, let's try again here....

First, the "lead" card is the first card played to each trick -- it leads the way (it's not "lead" like the heavy metal).

The lead card to each trick determines what each of the other players must play; any card that is "on top" is utterly immaterial. This is important because this is a trick-taking game, it is not Uno, and the card that you choose when you have the lead is the way you try to control the play. In your example, the Red 4 is led, so the other players must play either a Red or a "4".

Following your example:

Player A leads the Red 4; other players must follow his lead.
Player B follows with the Red 3; this is correct, it is a Red card.
Player C plays the Green 3; this is incorrect if he holds any Red or any "4".
Player D plays the Green 7; this is incorrect if he holds any Red or any "4".

Note that the cards played by Player C and Player D could be legal plays IF they hold no Red cards and no "4" cards -- if they hold any Red or any "4", they MUST play one of those cards.

In your example, the Red 4 would win the trick, because it is the highest card of the suit led, if the other cards were legally played.

In games like this, it is often helpful to avoid covering the lead card with any other cards played to the table, so that it is easily seen as a reminder to the other players.

Please let me know if more problems arise.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

OK, let's try again here....

First, the "lead" card is the first card played to each trick -- it leads the way (it's not "lead" like the heavy metal).

The lead card to each trick determines what each of the other players must play; any card that is "on top" is utterly immaterial. This is important because this is a trick-taking game, it is not Uno, and the card that you choose when you have the lead is the way you try to control the play. In your example, the Red 4 is led, so the other players must play either a Red or a "4".

Following your example:

Player A leads the Red 4; other players must follow his lead.
Player B follows with the Red 3; this is correct, it is a Red card.
Player C plays the Green 3; this is incorrect if he holds any Red or any "4".
Player D plays the Green 7; this is incorrect if he holds any Red or any "4".

Note that the cards played by Player C and Player D could be legal plays IF they hold no Red cards and no "4" cards -- if they hold any Red or any "4", they MUST play one of those cards.

In your example, the Red 4 would win the trick, because it is the highest card of the suit led, if the other cards were legally played.

In games like this, it is often helpful to avoid covering the lead card with any other cards played to the table, so that it is easily seen as a reminder to the other players.

Please let me know if more problems arise.

cool

Great Justin! You are a legend! Thank you so much, everything is clear now ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.