Subject: Discard ongoing and card effects combinations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lonnie Fultz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am a newbie on this.

If an ongoing card has a discard effect and a card played has an effect triggered by discarding an ongoing card - do you get the benefit of both effects?

Example - Aqualad is an ongoing card. If you discard it, you can put a card with a cost of 5 or less from the discard pile on the top of your deck. Static lets you get +1 power and you may destroy a card in your hand or discard pile if you discard an ongoing. If you have these in play and discard Aqualad do you get both benefits? Please cite the source of clarification if you have it - expect it to provide insight on other questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the cards, this is clearer than you might think. Both cards say "discard to [do something]." When you discard to resolve one of the effects, you complete the effect and the card is in your discard pile. Then you are no longer able to discard for the other effect. So you cannot "double dip."

This same rule question was posted recently but I can't remember the subject line or which set's forum it was in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the wording, but I don't recall any card that has,

"If this card is discarded, perform X ability"

Most (if not all) cards will have "Discard this card from play, perform X ability"

A big difference between the two.

Also, this might be better suited in the Teen Titans forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls