Subject: Should you buy it? Review and personal opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N30N City Rumble (NCR from here on) is a card game that simulates a fighting between two street gangs of 5 members each.
The box isn't very big: i'd say we are on the size of the Special Guest Boxes from Zombicide.
What i have is the Kickstarter Edition that contains:
- 38 CHARACTERS, 44 BRAWL cards used for fighting, 40 NEON cards used for the specials and supermoves, 54 cardsa between WEAPONS and ITEMS that you can pick up or buy.
- 10 mini dice (red and blue) used for tracking health of the various Fighters
- metal coin and 2 greendice used for certain attacks
- paper playmat
- 3 extra "promo" fighters (i think they will be available in future)
- Rulebook

And if you wanted you could add a mini expansion that adds an entire new mode, 3 more fighters and new type of cards used in the specific mode.

Now apart from the metal coin, promo fighters and mini expansion the rest comes all included in one box.
That is one of the few issues i found out: there's no way to fit sleeved cards in it.
The expansion mini box doesn't help in that regard.

WHAT IS IT?

NCR is a card game that basically emulates Double Dragon (1987) and Street Fighter with lots of references to other franchises as well (videogamers will recognize plenty of them).

It is to note that NCR comes from Kickstarter and was selfpublished by the designer.

The number of players is 1 to 4 but it is provided a way to play up to 6 player (3vs3)
The ART is one the best i ever seen with the front card that emulates old character screen selection and the back of the cards with an ultra detailed style and a catchphrase. Look in the gallery and in particular at this one

You don't need to be a videogamer though in order to appreciate the art!

COMPONENTS

Card quality is good, maybe not the best around, but they are sturdy enough.
The Art is PHENOMENAL, and really gives of the theme!
And if you are a videogamer on top of being a boardgamer this is right up your alley!
Dice quality isn't anything particular to mention nor they have a distinct style to them (and that is a missed opportunity, but being a selfpublsihed game with a cutthroat budget i can understand it so it isn't something of concern)
To preserve the quality of the art i strongly recommend clear sleeves since the cards gets shuffled a lot!

The only negative i can give is the paper mat: those are simply a no no in a game that requires card play and even if the art is superb i would rather play without it (it is the same as the one found in summoner wars)
That said, the mat is not filmsy and is quite thick, but still is just there for helping you with the proper positioning of the various cards so you really don't miss anything without it... useful for beginners though.

OVERVIEW

I won't go onto the rules since other reviews did that but i will give a basic overview:

you have 5 fighters, 3 active and 2 benchwarmer, with their HP,weapon mastery, special moves and Brawl expertize.
You use BRAWL and NEON to deal damage to the opponent and defend from them.
You can acquire WEAPONS and ITEMS too.
Player basically take turns in attacking and defending by playing the cards and resolving their effect, until one player (or team in other modes) is wiped out.

The Rules are for the most clear but there a couple of "grey zones" here and then that requires a rereading and some playthroughs in order to make it click.

The designer provided many alternative modes for both beginners and advanced player culminating in a possible 3vs3 gameplay.

These are the modes included in the Core SET:
- Standard game: 1vs1 with 5 fighters each
- Training Mode: mostly for beginners and solo play to get an hang on the 40+ different characters
- overkill: 1vs1 for beginners with 1 fighter each
- Neon city rush: skirmishes from 2 to 6 player that puts 3 fighters vs 3 fighters
- King of the city: intermediate mode 2vs2 free for all with team play and possible backstabbing between teammates
- Battle Royale: 3vs3 without backstabbing ideal for advanced players

The expansion adds a co-op mode with 1 player vs up to 3 others

personally i think i wouldn't play the base game with more than 4 and it's clear that the base game is a 1vs1 type of game...
but it provides options to cater everyone so it's a plus in my book

SHOULD YOU BUY IT?

NCR is a game born from Kickstarter and self published so it comes out as a game on which the designer put all his passion.
The game is one of the many "fighting card games" out there, but it adds many spins and twist to stand out as its own.
The ART itself is one major selling point and a tribute to old arcade games.
The core game and the various character seems balanced enough but only an active community can put this to test.
NCR is not a game that you can simply pick up and play with 3 other people simply because it wasn't born as that kind of game: there are some modes for beginners and intermediate players that can accomodate up to 6 players, but it is the standard play where it shines most IMO.
The rulebook isn't the best around and requires some rereading (nothing game breaking though).
I think this game deserves a chance to be played and it's built on solid foundations. It's not a perfect game, but still i'd recommend at least to try it if you have the chance!
If you are an old school videogamer just grab it, play it and enjoy the various references!

PROS:
- Stunning Art
- Fun gameplay mechanic
- Theme is spot on
- Options for many players count (but is 1vs1 where it shines)
- Solid rule sets...

CONS:
- ... but requires a bit of rereading and rewriting
- the paper mat
- box is too small for sleeves (you can ignore this one if that doesn't bother you)
- it's a game for gamers (same as above)

My vote is a solid 8 that can be bumped up to 9 if you are also a videogame lover or down to 7 if the issues with the rulebook and some of the components bothers you much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Wagnarok
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
mb
LANCE!!!! You magnificent bastard!

Thank you so much for the in-depth and absorbing review of our game! It's so refreshing/illuminating to be able to read this post-Kickstarter/playtesting. We put it through the ringer at my two local game shops, at friends' houses, and other various diners, but that was all while we were working on the game. It's awesome to get this kind of feedback from not only backers who've been waiting a year to get their hands on the game, but also because the opinions are being attributed to the final version.

While I can't necessarily go back and fix all of the bugs, I will be continuing to try and balance the gameplay and tweak the rule book to be more user-friendly (revised playbook coming soon to our website!). Either way, I can't argue with the issues you brought up and you articulated them very well. All I can do at this point is strive to make NCR the best it can be by applying your awesome feedback! XD

Thanks again for taking the time to review NCR (we got an 8?!?!?! BOOOOOYAH!). Hope to see you next Kickstarter. Take care!

--Davy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, how come I hadn't heard of this before now? Certainly have to look into purchasing a copy at some point(assuming decent shipping prices to the UK)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it didn't have much buzz like we kickstarter backers hoped, but i hope this review/opinion will at least draw a bit of attention towards it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.