Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just backed this game on Kickstarter and wanted to share the reasons with anyone on the fence about this game.

My husband's and my favorite game is Martian Rails with over 155 plays. We love the pick-up-and-deliver aspect where planning is key to success, and the ever-changing challenge of working a new card into your oh-so-perfect plan. But it isn't a game you can bring out with just anyone unless it's the only game you plan to play that day--finding the cities AND where each good is produced can seriously drag down the wait time between players.

After watching the designer's demonstration video and reading the rules, I think Flee the Scene is not only a good option to place before players unfamiliar with Crayon Rails, I think it has its own twist that also makes it a nice change of pace for those familiar with CR.

Players take Missions to rob museums in one city and deliver the stolen goods to fences in another city. The cards only have the two cities on them, and an amount of points awarded for delivery. The cities are color-coded into 5 different regions to make them easier to find. Nice.

To move around the board from city to city requires your use of trucks, trains and ships. Each player starts with a different combination of 2 vehicles, and the board is stocked with one of each at the start of the game. Here's the twist. At the start of your turn, you add one of your personal vehicles to the stock on the board--that's your available movement for this turn. Yes, if you're stuck, you can use any two as a wild for any other vehicle. At the end of your turn, you then have to choose one of the 4 vehicles on the board to put back into your personal supply. This assures you have a much-needed vehicle for next turn, or maybe you're being nasty and making it difficult for the next player to move quickly and efficiently. I love it!

New Mission cards are available only when you move into one of the 6 cities marked for them. You can take 1 mission from a market of 4 laid face-up, or you can take 2 blindly from the top of the deck. I like this for a quick game since you can coordinate with cards already in your hand rather than having to rethink your whole strategy.

The game end is triggered when one player has 13 or more points (the Missions are worth 2, 3, or 4). Then every other player gets one last turn. Most points wins, with ties broken by the player who delivered the most stolen antiquities.

I think this will be a nice change-of-pace for my husband and I, especially when we don't have an hour and a half or two hours to play Crayon Rails.

If this sounds interesting to you, check out the Kickstarter page. It looks like the production will be very nice. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1580013233/flee-the-sce...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds perfect for my family except the player count as we are 5. If they hit 14,000 then we are in. I don't know why 5 player always has to be a stretch goal

We also backed the designers Raiders of the North Sea. Can't wait for December!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Rushing
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember 14K NZD is only $9166 USD so that stretch goal is right there and accessible if the 5 player fence sitters will pitch in, we will have pieces for 5 players otherwise just go buy plastic toys at the dollar store and play with 5 anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, I see the project just crossed 12,000. Just $2,000 more to go!! I am more optimistic now!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It still has 6 days to go; I think it'll make it. Why not help it get there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will make it as well. It's just a matter of principal I guess. This is a family game I want to get for my whole family to play. That can only happen at 5 players. If 5 players doesn't unlock I would divert the funds to a game that does have the required player count. Everyone has criteria for purchasing a game.

I really think 5 should have been included from the beginning though. It could have possibly helped accelerate the success of the overall campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avanspronsen wrote:
Sounds perfect for my family except the player count as we are 5. If they hit 14,000 then we are in.

Stretch goal has been unlocked! The game will now include components for a 5th player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls