BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Looking for Auckland Wargaming Group (Not Miniatures Please!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“The Russian colossus... has been underestimated by us... whenever a dozen divisions are destroyed the Russians replace them with another dozen.” — Gen. Franz Halder, OKH Chief of Staff (August, 1941)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BoardGameGeeks,

I'm new to board games and am looking for a wargaming group (not miniature wargaming) in Auckland, preferably on the North Shore.

I started off playing computer wargames, such as Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, Command Ops, Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, and Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

Somewhere along the line, I discovered that the low-cost of board game publishing, at least compared to computer games, meant that there was a wealth of sophisticated board wargames. To my surprise, I discovered that Harpoon was actually a board game before it was a computer game.

The wargames I currently own are listed in my profile. I'm interested in historical wargames with hex-and-counter, blocks, area movement, point-to-point movement, card driven, and dice rolling mechanics.

I've tried looking at some of the board gaming clubs, I regularly attend the North Shore Board Games Group in Browns Bay and the Auckland City Guard in Freeman's Bay, but nobody plays wargames.

Cheers,
Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cameron
I am also at the NS games group (You'll probably see me pop up on the Facebook page a lot)
I have recently started getting into wargames of the non mini type but generally people don't play them on Wednesday evenings usually with friends at the week (while balancing kids, work, etc)
Currently trying to learn Paths of Glory and I'd be very keen to play any of those wargames in you collection.
Let me know when you are about at the game group.

Other wargame prone people in the group would be:
Andrew C
Andrew W
Zirk
Len

So we are around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this include games like the game Commands and Colours? There is another thread where some folks set up a league.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1261613/commands-and-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Simpson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cameron.

I'm the organiser of the Commands and Colours league Karen mentioned above. We're always on the look out for new players and you'd be welcome to join if block wargames appeal to you. One of the players is based in Glenfield, but the rest of us are in central and west Auckland.

Several of us are also into other board based wargames. Your collection and mine have several games in common. Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers
Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“The Russian colossus... has been underestimated by us... whenever a dozen divisions are destroyed the Russians replace them with another dozen.” — Gen. Franz Halder, OKH Chief of Staff (August, 1941)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
asta wrote:
I am also at the NS games group (You'll probably see me pop up on the Facebook page a lot)

Actually, yes! I'll be coming to tomorrow's regular session.

asta wrote:
Currently trying to learn Paths of Glory and I'd be very keen to play any of those wargames in you collection.
Let me know when you are about at the game group.

Other wargame prone people in the group would be:
Andrew C
Andrew W
Zirk
Len

I read the rules online for wargames and buy the ones with mechanics and chrome I think I'd enjoy. Currently, I've learnt to play Richard III. God, that game is ruthless and fun! But it's only two player, so I don't think it would be all that practical playing a two player game with limited desk space at the regular sessions. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Persian Incursion. It's one of those games by Larry Bond (e.g. Harpoon), so the mechanics are quite complex.

If you'd like to set up a Paths of Glory game, I'd be happy to focus on learning that game. A couple of mock solitaire games and I'll be alright.

Robert Simpson wrote:
I'm the organiser of the Commands and Colours league Karen mentioned above. We're always on the look out for new players and you'd be welcome to join if block wargames appeal to you. One of the players is based in Glenfield, but the rest of us are in central and west Auckland.

Several of us are also into other board based wargames. Your collection and mine have several games in common. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm kind of on the fence with Commands & Colors. Everything I've read makes it look like an incredibly light wargame. Not trying to be elitist or anything , but I really like the detail and nuance of systems such as The Great Battles of History. Not that I don't enjoy a good strategic game with abstractions for playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
SeriousCat wrote:
I'm kind of on the fence with Commands & Colors. Everything I've read makes it look like an incredibly light wargame. Not trying to be elitist or anything , but I really like the detail and nuance of systems such as The Great Battles of History. Not that I don't enjoy a good strategic game with abstractions for playability.

I've been playing in the CC:A league too. There's no doubt that it's a very light wargame. You don't play it for an accurate simulation of historical battles; you play it for a quick fun battle that evokes some flavour of the battle.

I've played Paths of Glory and GBoH (well, really only Hoplite so far), and they're definitely a much richer experience and worth the investment when you have the time, but with children it's really hard to find the time (I've played exactly one full game of PoG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john morrison
China
Shenzhen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Cameron,

There are strategy gamers among the boardgamers (and miniatures players too) at the ACG meetings on Sundays too, I'm one of them. As Alistair from the North Shore group pointed out though, people don't tend to play the "heavy" boardgames at the weekday or Sunday meetings, partly because of the variety of people at them and their differing interests and their differing desired game "weight" or complexity.
Maybe it simply hasn't occurred to anyone to bring along a wargame (such as GMT produce) to the meetings; possibly because they're also perceived by many to be 'brain-burners' and too heavy for a weekday evening and some of the more in-depth wargames are too long to be comfortably finished at a 3 hour meeting such as the North Shore or Mt Albert groups or even ACG's 4 hours (although Twilight Struggle could be, hint, hint).
ACG does have regular one day events which are usually on Saturdays from 10 to 5, so wargames are possible at those meetings, I've played the COIN games with ACG members - the one-dayers are usually advertised on Meet-up.com.
If you have a multiplayer game you'd like to organise a session for, try putting it up on meet-up.com, or even here, and see who bites. As for strategy gamers, ask at the meetings, or bring along games you are interested in to spark some conversation and meet the other wargamers in the clubs.
I'd be keen to regularly play - say, one Friday night or Saturday a month - GMT's COIN games or some of the 18XX games, so perhaps I should take my own advice and put a meet-up up :-)

cheers,
John Morrison,
President, Auckland City Guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john morrison
China
Shenzhen
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cameron, see the latest post in this group for details of Can-Opener, Auckland City Guard Club's one day (9am to 9pm) event to raise money for the Auckland City Mission.
Feel free to bring along your strategy games :-)

cheers,
John Morrison
President, ACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard about the Can Opener event from the North Shore Games Group. I'll see if I can come that weekend, I really hope I can.

We recently had a games day in Browns Bay and we only got in three games—8 hours isn't enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hepple
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Cam, I am not sure whether you are still after players for wargames, but I have played PoG about 20 times and a few C&Cs, Hammer of the Scots, Hannibal, etc. If you have time, I would be keen for a game. I do live in the city though but can travel.
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Check your BoardGameGeek inbox. I've sent you my contact details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dalley
msg tools
Hi all,

I live on the North Shore and am interested in playing Harpoon or the like.
Anyone still around?

Yours Faithfully
PD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Paul,

Sorry for the late reply. Please check your inbox for my phone number. I'll be in touch.

Cheers,
Cameron Taylor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very active channel specifically for wargame discussion in the NZ-based Bored Gamer Slack.

A couple of members played both BCS: Brazen Chariots and OCS: Korea the Forgotten War at Board Games by the Bay this past weekend, and the AARs have begun to be posted.

Go here to view the BGG forum post introducing the Slack group, or go here to go straight to the Slack group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, definitely worth joining. We have a few OCS players on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls