Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Legendary Star Wars: The Old Republic - Gremlinator Custom Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically I'd begun developing something about a week or so before IronSyndicate announced his, but now I feel comfortable announcing mine without appearing to try and steal his thunder. We are pseudo-collaborating as is, occasionally talking of ideas and mechanics.

I give you my lil' custom baby, Star Wars: The Old Republic. At first it's going to primarily focus on characters from the MMO, though I will undoubtedly expand into comic characters and the plethora of lore that this era can cover. I've played the game since release, and have finished perhaps 12ish characters to current end-game, and others have been replaced along the way. Some mechanics or Villain ideas came far too easily for my liking .

There is only one thing I love more than Marvel, and that is Star Wars. I'm sat here wearing a Mandalorian hoodie and a Darth Vader shirt as I type this, not that you needed proof haha.

It is nowhere near complete yet, much like Syndicate I plan on making my own game board and with my own versions of Agents/Troopers/Marias etc. But thought I'd post a thread to highlight the process and get some comments/critiques along the way! There will be eventual mechanic name changes/word changes (some cards have 'City' while some have the replacement 'Battlefield' for example) along the way, so bear with me on that haha.

The first few sneak peeks will revolve around some of my favorite characters and the war they invoke - The Dread War. Much like IS's Palpatine, the Dread Masters are by nature meant to be utterly devastating, the Galactus of this conversion as it were. The rest of the cards in their sets are done, just gauging reaction first . There are many more Villains/Masterminds and a good gaggle of Heroes ready to be uploaded, but I shan't spoil thee

Keyword Definitions:

Cartel Warlord:
This means that if there are any other Villains with that keyword on the battlefield, they gain +1 attack. However, if you have defeated any - they get +2 instead, signifying how they are enraged at the deaths of their battle companions.
Coordinator:
These cards do not advance along the battlefield, and cannot be fought if there is a Villain adjacent to them.
Dread Guard/Corruptor Droid/Channelling Rage/:
Work similar to the X-Treme Attack from Legendary Villains, for each other member on the battlefield with that keyword, they gain +1 attack.
Infernal Council:
You may only defeat one Villain per turn if a card with this keyword is on the battlefield.
Large Creature:
This game's version of Cosmic Threat
Precognition:
A new-ish mechanic made for this project. Functions as an active Time Gem as it were, allowing players to check the top card of the Villain deck and shift it to the bottom if it is too nasty. Calphayus is the only card with it so far (as he mastered time and space within the force), but given the amount of 'Seers' and so forth each side has, it'll definitely see use down the line.
Phobis Devices:
This card cannot be attacked unless you possess two differently coloured cards in your hand (not counting grey)
- Done to simulate the Dread Masters' control over fear, and how they require multiple people to even have a chance to take them down. Lowly pawns are also likely to be lambs to the slaughter, hence the 'No Grey' rule.
Rakghoul Infestation:
If this keyword is triggered (usually by an escape or strike etc.), then any Bystanders captured by a Villain with that keyword become 'Rakghouls', having been infected and turned. They then remain on the spaces they are, and push any Villains further forward as if they had been played from the deck, and are worth their VP in attack - they get KO'd afterwards, they do not get rescued.
Rakghoul:
In addition to buffing attack for each one, due to how quickly Rakghouls spread, when a new Rakghoul spawns, trigger it's ambush ability X times, X being the number of other Rakghoul cards on the battlefield.
Rampage:
Equivalent to Feast from the Spider-Friends expansion.
Regenerates:
This card must be defeated twice in a row to be removed from the battlefield.
Reinforcements:
If there are any Villains with this keyword in adjacent battlefield spaces, you must beat their total added attack value to defeat them. In short, you cannot defeat these guys one on one, you have to beat them and their allies.
Swarm:
Reveal the top card of the Villain deck, if it is the same as the current card, play it as if from the deck, then repeat the process until a different card is revealed.
/// Strike (eg. Ulgo Strike):
Upon escape, KO a Hero in the HQ for each Villain on the battlefield, Henchmen or otherwise, with that word in their name.
/// Commander (eg. Ulgo Commander):
If a card has this keyword, if there are Henchmen on that field with those words in their name (in this case Ulgo), this card gets +1 attack, as do all respective Henchmen.
Walker:
Can only be fought by strength, tech or range. This was done to simulate that covert characters (assassins, sneaky types), can't really hit a heavily armoured machine properly. Instinct is more dodging the shots fired at you, so I felt that Walkers needed to be fought via the other styles - Walkers aren't easy to take down, and this is hopefully not too nasty for that.

Heroes

Starter Decks

Officers

Jedi Order

Corin Tok

Nadia Grell

Nomar Organa

Satele Shan

Special Forces

Aric Jorgan

Lt. Felix Iresso

Sgt. Fideltin Rusk

M1-4X

Jace Malcom

Tanno Vik

Sgt. Yuun

Underworld

Doctor Oggurobb

Qyzen Fess

Risha Drayen

Tharan Cedrax

Unaffiliated

Chanya Medaal

Duke Charle Organa

HK-51

Masterminds

Black Hive Queen

Dread Masters

Dr. Sannus Lorrick

'Wolf Baron' Jharkus Thul

Karagga the Unyielding

King Bouris Ulgo

Malaphar the Savage

The Shroud

Soa, the Infernal One

Toborro the Hutt

War Chief Rehkta

Warlord Kephess

Villains

Alderaanian Imperials (1x Gurveer & Kingston)

Alderaan Sith (2x Fannatex & Lord Malichose)

Cartel Armies

Dread Host (2x Varrow & Zero)

Dread Masters (2x Bestia & Calphayus)

The Exchange

House Girard

House Rist (2x Lady Rehanna & Maddor)

House Thul

House Ulgo (2x Vessex Ulgo & Overseer Verandala)

Karagga's Army (4x Gamorrean Guards)

Lorrick's Creations (3x Rakghoul Commanders, 2x Sample Seven)

Manaan Foes (1x Sairisi & Stivastin)

Soa's Thrall

Toborro's Cartel (2x Khobisho & Prodaranya)

Warstalker Elite (1x Toth & Zorn)

Henchmen

Battlefields

Bystanders

Schemes

Wounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo!

I haven't played the game (rassin' frassin' no Mac version...) so I have no idea who these people are, but it looks awesome none-the-less!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Woohoo!

I haven't played the game (rassin' frassin' no Mac version...) so I have no idea who these people are, but it looks awesome none-the-less!

I've played a bit, never got into who the Dread Masters were, so know about the same.

But ITS STAR WARS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that outpour of love aha, I've added significantly to the first post!

I added in an explanation for any keywords previously not described, and will add to that when more cards get added!

Added the first Hero of the batch, Corin Tok - survivor of the destruction of the Jedi Temple, where he slaughtered nearly a whole clan of Mandalorians and shrugged off blaster fire and Sith as if they were nothing. He falls during a later campaign, defending tens of injured civilians in a hospital, so I built his mechanic around bystanders.

Put up the remainder of the Dread Masters/Host Villains groups, added in Karagga's Army (with perhaps one of my favourite card creations, Bonethrasher the Rancor).

Also added in Karagga the Unyielding and Darth Malgus to Masterminds - I had fun with Karagga, while Malgus I want to get absolutely perfect due to just how darn menacing he is!

Hutt Cartel added to the Henchmen groups as well - all Hutts in this expansion have the ability to be reallllly nasty due to their bottomless funds, don't let a single one escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Sir, I do believe you just handed me a good reason to get my printer working again.

So far this is awesome. Nothing stands out as being OP or entirely weak, and I would love to get these to the table.

Have you done any playtesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew for your scheme The Dread Wars what is the Evil Wins condition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlphaSilvr wrote:
Well, Sir, I do believe you just handed me a good reason to get my printer working again.

So far this is awesome. Nothing stands out as being OP or entirely weak, and I would love to get these to the table.

Have you done any playtesting?

That first line alone is a heck of a compliment. Thankyou!

I've done some basic playtesting - slipping some paper with the card's names into sleeves etc. - and so far things are working nicely. Dread Masters were my first test with my friend, and they proved sufficiently nasty. In the space of a turn I got a Master Strike and then a Kephess escape...so much death.

I'm going to do a playtest with the same friend (he's my mechanics checker/fellow gamer aha) tomorrow, using Karagga and his Army. I'm not sure if Bonethrasher is a bit too underpowered with that multitude of 'Large Creature' weaknesses. I say that, he'll probably eat my entire deck haha.

AHewlett wrote:

The same as printed on the Dread Masters' Mastermind at the moment, if all members of the Dread Masters escape at least once. I've added a 'Corrupted Pawns/Corruptor Droids gain Guard upon entering the battlefield' Special Rule so that it makes it more difficult to target the Mastermind in time, though I've yet to play test that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gremlinator wrote:
AHewlett wrote:

The same as printed on the Dread Masters' Mastermind at the moment, if all members of the Dread Masters escape at least once. I've added a 'Corrupted Pawns/Corruptor Droids gain Guard upon entering the battlefield' Special Rule so that it makes it more difficult to target the Mastermind in time, though I've yet to play test that.

Okay thanks for the reply Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Devour?
Did I miss an expansion somewhere or just doesn't have an explanation yet? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devour is something RangerRob created I believe, where any Heroes or Bystanders that would get captured by those cards are instantly KO'd. So Bonethrasher is an instant double Bystander KO upon spawning for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In preparation for uploading two more Heroes soon, I've added 3 new Henchmen to the OP.

Bounty Hunter - pretty self-explanatory, functions like a more nasty version of Skrull Shapeshifters

Trandoshan Warriors - in a mechanic not often used, they take advantage of the KO pile. As they are a race pre-disposed to hunting their entire lives, I felt it correct to have them gain power for each KO'd Hero - as they would gain more experience/ability for each of their own kills.

Warstalkers - One of the largest non-Mandalorian mercenary forces in the galaxy, the Warstalkers are militarized Trandoshans who have weaponized giant creatures like the Drouk as well as having walkers and utilizing minefields. This in mind, I've purposed them to be especially nasty to the HQ if they are allowed to leave. I am aiming to release a Mastermind soon that uses these to even nastier effect, so stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added Warlord Kephess to the Masterminds, and Warstalkers Elite to the Villain groups to follow up on the above post!

Kephess is the pre-Dread Master form of Kephess the Undying. He is a nasty nasty boss in-game, who is prone to punishing any mistakes made by messing up tactics and such. I took advantage of that by making him play around with wounds and manipulation of the battlefield itself. The Walker mechanic has been added to the OP, and is one of my original mechanics introduced for this expansion.

The Warstalker Elite are one of the more eclectic groups in the MMO game, due to having some very intriguing mechanics. Toth & Zorn are damn devastating if not approached properly (and if allowed within a certain distance of each other), and here they are definitely meant to be kept apart if at all possible. You seen one pop up out of the Villain deck, you better take him down before the other rears his ugly head. Colonel Vorgath hides behind a massive minefield, hence the Elusive and his devastating (or not at all) ambush effect. Firebrand & Stormcaller are another duo faced together, and Stormcaller has a chance to muck with your team cohesion - as he does in-game if you don't have decent teamwork haha.

I will produce a scheme centred on this group, but for now I must rest aha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd drop the Bounty Hunters to Bounty 1...

Bounty 2 can be rough (imagine if all the Heroes in HQ are the same one as the revealed Hero - you'd end up paying 10 recruit, that's a lot for a simple henchmen.). Heck, Boba is Bounty 2 - the henchmen shouldn't be as powerful as he is.

As an aside, I was originally going to make Boba Bounty 3 - but that's really Brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I miss something about Bounty?

Andrew mentioned its a nasty version of Skrull Shapeshifters. Shapeshifters captures a Hero, so I assume Bounty Hunter captures 2, but the henchmen's attack is based on the Cost of the Hero in the HQ beneath it, not on the Heroes it captured. To me, this isn't even a nastier version of Shapeshifters, but a better one as I get two heroes for defeating it. (Unless your running a scheme that drains the Hero Deck...)

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlphaSilvr wrote:
Did I miss something about Bounty?

Andrew mentioned its a nasty version of Skrull Shapeshifters. Shapeshifters captures a Hero, so I assume Bounty Hunter captures 2, but the henchmen's attack is based on the Cost of the Hero in the HQ beneath it, not on the Heroes it captured. To me, this isn't even a nastier version of Shapeshifters, but a better one as I get two heroes for defeating it. (Unless your running a scheme that drains the Hero Deck...)

What am I missing?

Bounty is one of the keywords that crossing over between this set and my Star Wars one.

I defined it as such: "When a card with 'Bounty X' triggers, reveal the top card of the Hero deck. Then for every Hero in the Hangar with the same name, you must pay X or KO that Hero. You must pay this cost before recruiting or fighting any other card. Put the revealed card on the bottom of the deck."

See the Bounty Hunters villain group, here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19944165#19944165
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Switched the bounty hunter as suggested! Yeah, as Syndicate explains, sorry I didn't put it up earlier, was distracted aha.

I've added two new cards above - Rakghouls Henchmen and Rakghoul Commanders in the Villains section.

Still refining some mechanics for them, as I want to represent how swarm-y Rakghouls are. These are my ideas currently, would welcome any suggestions:

Rakghoul Infestation: Still refining this mechanic, but the main idea at the moment is that it functions similar to Cross-Dimensional Rampage for now. May have it work instead like Rise of the Living Dead upon escape.
Rakghoul: In addition to buffing attack for each one, due to how quickly Rakghouls spread, when a new Rakghoul spawns, trigger it's ambush ability X times, X being the number of other Rakghoul cards on the battlefield. Alternative ideas are to have it function as this - for any Bystander or Hero captured by this card, place it in the battlefield instead as if played from the Villain deck. It's Attack is = to its cost; to represent them turning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've reconfigured in the main post what Rakghoul Infestation is going to be.

Instead of being a carbon copy of either Rise of the Living Dead or Cross-Dimensional Rampage, it's going to function like this - if the keyword is triggered (usually by an escape or strike etc.), then any Bystanders captured by anybody with that keyword become 'Rakghouls', having been infected and turned. They then remain on the spaces they are, and push any Villains further forward as if they had been played from the deck, and are worth their VP in attack - they get KO'd afterwards, they do not get rescued.

What do people think of that as a mechanic? It would be rare to have more than two or three bystanders turn this way, but I feel it represents the chaotic nature of rakghoul plagues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perhaps the largest update since the first post haha. Strap yourselves in folks!

I've added a new mechanic for this, which is the Star Wars version of Feast, called Rampage. For those unaware of that mechanic, it means that when it activates you KO the top card of the target's deck. I wanted to utilize this mechanic for some of the larger beasts in this game's arsenal, but they just squashed things rather than ate them, hence the name change! Some of the cards already uploaded have had certain mechanics replaced with this as a result as well.

Two new mechanics introduced into the game too:
Regenerates: This card must be defeated twice in a row to be removed from the battlefield.
- This was done to highlight how some beasts have risen right back up after being slain. It will be used for other villains and some Heroes down the line as well.
Infernal Council: You may only defeat one Villain per turn if a card with this keyword is on the battlefield.
- The mechanics in-game for facing this guys required everybody to face them 1v1 without any help or heals, otherwise everybody got a nasty debuff. This mechanic highlights that while also making playing with Soa a bit trickier.

I've also introduced a new set of cards to this expansion, called Battlefields. Playing off of a similar idea that's been on these boards called 'Battlegrounds' - such as New York City, Madripoor etc. - Battlefields create special conditions and are treated like a second Scheme, giving a thematic setting for where you are fighting. Five have been put in in the OP, with former Sith Capital Ziost, Republic Core World Corellia, the Warstalker battlefield of Denova, the hidden and mysterious Section X and the horrifying Rakghoul Tunnels as the chosen five for this reveal.

I've added Soa, the Infernal One and The Shroud to the Masterminds. Soa's Thrall was added to Villain groups to compliment Soa. The Shroud has been behind most of the major black market and underworld crises over the last few decades. He has rarely been seen, never killed in truth, and has caused some of the largest corporation bankruptics and civilization collapses for sheer interest and intrigue. Hopefully his tactics reflect that!

Soa is an ancient Rakatan Warlord who was imprisoned over 20,000 years ago. He conquered systems, ruling from Korriban before King Adas overthrew the Rakata. He is an immensely powerful force user able to conjure Mind Traps, Ball Lightning and collapse entire buildings on a whim. He is definitely the Galactus of this game mechanics-wise, and probably one of the lesser liked Masterminds simply for that fact haha. His Thrall is some of the ghastliest creations, made from pure Force Alchemy or pieced from numerous machines. His 'Infernal Council' were his chosen Sith that ruled his territories, placed in stasis with him in the Eternity Vault prison.

His Thrall:

Sith Assassins, Imperial Agents, Monolith and Eternal Defence Drones have been added to the Henchmen rows.

Two new schemes have been added as well - Soa's attempted escape from the Eternity Vault is one, as is the Battle of Denova - where our Heroes try to take down Kephess and his Warstalkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards now added, didn't realise how long it would take me to copy them in aha. Also added an explanation on the OP for the 'Reinforcements' ability mentioned on the Ziost battlefield, though I'll explain it here as well:

If there are any Villains with this keyword in adjacent battlefield spaces, you must beat their total added attack value to defeat them. In short, you cannot defeat these guys one on one, you have to beat them and their allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on filling out the Hero roster, and although I promised a post earlier, I've stuck to refining them before posting them up. 7 Heroes are coming up in the morning, along with several other cards too, get prepared thread followers! .
In the meantime, I wanted to put a question to you guys:

Once I've covered the main players of this period, I'm aiming to expand into the immensely expansive territory of the Old Republic era. I've already got Lords Farfalla and Hoth images prepared for eventual cards, but I wanted to see what you guys wanted . When I do, what sort of Heroes would people want to see covered? Or specific time periods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything past the Base of TOR, and barely any of that.

If you want suggestions that are Canon, The Clone Wars is a good era. The synergy of the Clones with the Jedi could be good, and there is plenty of background characters to go along with the main characters.

If you want suggestions that are now Legacy, Thrawn would be an interesting MM, but I'm not sure how much material would be there for the picking, its been awhile since I have read the books.
The New Jedi Order with the Yuuzhan Vong invasion (I REALLY hope they bring the Yuuzhan Vong back into the Canon) has a lot of really interesting characters and schemes. (For a tearjerker and a Scheme idea: Bring Down the Moon... to me one of the most heroic and well done Main character deaths in all entertainment, even it if it was one of my favorite characters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrawn is a guaranteed if IronSyndicate doesn't want to call dibs. I still mourn the loss of those books from the canon, some of my favourites. The character of Thrawn himself is one of my favourite characters ever, he's a guaranteed Ally-style card as well at some point. I'm a Chiss-fan at heart, might see a 'Empire of the Hand' faction if I get inspired haha.

Oh for the Bring Down The Moon, I would dedicate time to making sure that fulfilled all the needed emotions. Though that would definitely be a crossover with Syndicate I imagine .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tabbutt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Sorry I haven't been on in a few days now :( (Life has been a fresh slice of crazy) Your cards are looking really terrific so far!

Darth Bane would be awesome, if no one has mentioned him yet. Or how about Revan (he could be both a hero and a villain!), Bastila Shan, and what about Mandalorians? My knowledge is a bit narrow in focus, as the only Old Republic type stuff I know is from the old KOTOR games. I will think on it some more and try to give more ideas :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Edwards
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveistobe wrote:
Sorry I haven't been on in a few days now (Life has been a fresh slice of crazy) Your cards are looking really terrific so far!

Darth Bane would be awesome, if no one has mentioned him yet. Or how about Revan (he could be both a hero and a villain!), Bastila Shan, and what about Mandalorians? My knowledge is a bit narrow in focus, as the only Old Republic type stuff I know is from the old KOTOR games. I will think on it some more and try to give more ideas

No worries! Understandable, I've had my dissertation to tend with as I create these myself haha. Thankyou very much for the compliment as well .

Don't know why I never considered the KOTOR period! Revan would be an interesting case, appearing in three forms (spoilers for a future Mastermind on the OP in addition to what you suggested ). Mandalorians are getting a faction soon due to their presence in game, I don't see why it can't see some more love! Maybe two-form Canderous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tabbutt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are a genius :) That all sounds really awesome! Mandalorians in particular have always been very interesting to me, so the more the better haha

And good luck with your dissertation!!! That is not exactly a quick and easy thing to accomplish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |