United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have all enjoyed games where you work your way up to a final boss fight at the end, well this game is not that game. This game is an entire series of boss fights!

Boss Gauntlet is a co-op/solitaire children's game designed to help with simple math and logic decisions, where players will have a small hand of cards (2-3) to choose a hero from, and apply it to the current boss monster.

Once the boss monster has been defeated (by applying the right number of matching attack cards) the next boss appears! Do you think you and your friends can make it all the way to the end of the gauntlet?

Components:
12 Boss Cards
36 Hero Cards
Rule Book

Players: 1-4
Time: 10 min
Ages: 4+

Download Link: https://goo.gl/xGvlUZ

-------

This is a game my at the time 4 year old really wanted to do, but we never got around to making it happen in full effect. So now I'll work with him (now 6) to finish this out.

Current phase: Ready for plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Boss Gauntlet - Rules Formation {2015 Children's Game Contest}
Very cool! I love that your son is working with you on the design. I'm excited to play this with my kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Boss Gauntlet - Rules Formation {2015 Children's Game Contest}
Ok, I've finally gotten my son to sit with me long enough to hammer out some ideas here and make the game a reality. I've updated the original post with a download link. But here is the link for ease as well

https://goo.gl/6t5oJo

There is some color in the file, but they aren't necessary - feel free to print in black and white, as it will not affect any game decisions. The colors are just there to make things a little more interesting to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Boss Gauntlet {2015 Children's Game Contest - Components Ready}
The cards look great! I'll print this up and try it soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to try to print this today. Love that it is 1-4 players. Great job on cards and rules so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear guys! All of my testing so far has been with 2 players me and my son who helped make it.

There are a couple scenarios that came up that aren't covered in the rule book yet.

"What if I don't want to play anything I have on the current boss?"
In that case, you discard one of the 3 cards you are holding, to ensure that you still have 2 cards at the end of your turn.

"What if I want to replace a hero that's already applied to the boss, with a new one?"
Just play the new one over the top, and the new one counts - the old one does not.

Also, if the hero deck runs out - you didn't make it.

I'll get these things into the rulebook as soon as I am able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the rules update Justin. I figured when the deck runs out, the game ends. I was going to ask what happens if you loose against a boss since the current rules said you have to play a card.
I thought maybe the boss gets shuffled back in and players lose those heroes. However, since you can choose to discard a card or cover a card, this won't happen. It is printed and cut so I will try it this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only got a chance to play many solo games so far but I think that version might need to be adjusted some how. I understand The contest is for at least two, a parent and child, so I guess that isn't a big deal.

The the best game I had was 3 boss left. With more players, there will be more cards out to play so chances are better I would think. For solo, I may suggest to lower the values or remove the dragon and wyvern or give the player a larger hand.

I will get back when it is played with more players. Really like the style of the game, placing the heroes around the boss in multiple places to defeat. Even without a win, Boss Gauntlet is very enjoyable. Congratulations to both of you for the design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Chad!

I too have noticed that it's a bit too hard. We have yet to win either, and our best was with 3 bosses left.

The 16 difficulty bosses were much harder than I had expected them to be. I might drop them down to 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay,

I've updated the game slightly. The chance of success was VERY low previously, and I've adjusted that a bit. I bumped the power level of a few Hero cards up. I've also did a little bit of wiggling around where the number values are for heros.

I've also nerfed the two 16 difficulty bosses down to 12.

Rules have been updated to account for the changes, and to include discarding and playing over an existing hero.

Download here: https://goo.gl/xGvlUZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've come up with an alternate play mode that seems to be a nice twist and still fun. I call it "Strategy Mode"

To play in strategy mode you lay out all 12 bosses into a 4 column x 3 row grid, all next to each other.

X X X X
X X X X
X X X X

The basic ides is still the same players get the same 2 card hands and draw and play one. however, you can only play heroes on exposed edges of the board.

Meaning you have to slowly pick your way into the grid and eliminate all the bosses.

Placing a hero in an area where it touches multiple bosses, means that hero applies to all touched bosses and stays in the field until all the bosses it's fighting are defeated.

This mode is a bit easier, but has a higher cognitive load at the start and can seem a little overwhelming to children. However my son got the hang of it after a couple turns and really enjoyed this mode as well.

It's not in the rule book yet, but I wanted to see what everybody thought of the additional play mode.

-Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try and play this next week. I like the direction you're going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also printed it, I'll try it with my son
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've translated the rules in french.

Edit: my son crafted the game almost by himself (laminate the cards and cut them, I helped with corner rounding), he is currently playing solo and seems to enjoy it (I ear "I beat him", "wow that's a big one".... sounds)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!

I'm glad that your son seems to be enjoying the game!

And thanks for the translation of the rules, very awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romuald chapeau
France
Flers en Escrebieux
NORD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I'll try your game this evening and have a question : hero's color doesn't matter? it's only illustrating?

I think I'll play solo with your grid version with Minotaur, Land Shark, Hydra and Dubious Treant on the edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, Thank you for taking the time to play the game!

Secondly, you are correct - Hero Color does not matter for the game rules, i's purely for illustration.

I'm interested to hear your opinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romuald chapeau
France
Flers en Escrebieux
NORD
flag msg tools
mbmb

We run a game with my wife and find it very pleasant. Too easy for adults, but I'll try my 6-old nephew playing it.

So I ran a solo game with your grid and Minotaur, Land Shark, Hydra and Dubious Treant on the edges. Not sure it made the game harder.
I chose to discard hero cards when they are used against a defeated Boss.
I succeeded on turn 24 and really enjoyed it. I think I have an easy "dungeon" because of getting my third hero on turn 4, and second sword Champ on turn 8, and second bow Champ on turn 9.

I love this mode (although this is Children Contest) and for sure I will play it again, probably adjusting difficulty levels of the weakest Boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oladola oladola
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Invalid links

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg6vgzvvm1enbo6/BossGauntlet-v2.pd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oladola oladola
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide