Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Compatibility rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use both expansions together in Elder Sign or at least some of their content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. GoA does use the blessing/curse on a small number of cards, but also there are things like items/spells that spawn gates from UF that you probably would prefer not to get. The Other Worlds are all relevant/valid except for any it says to replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other World cards, investigators, Ancient Ones, items, spells, allies, blessings/curses and monsters can be used together (for the most part). Adventure cards, Mythos cards and skills and events are not meant to be used together (although there are variants). I recommend both expansions, but if you are going to get only one, get Gates of Arkham. It's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember also there's backwards compatibility: you may use small cards, investigators and almost all the AOs coming with GoA in museum mode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but... lots of the contents are not inter-compatible. So much so that if you plan on playing Museum mode, most of Gates won't be used; if you plan on using the Gates adventure cards, you won't be using the Museum cards (including UF's).

That is not acceptable to me. I came up with simple variant that will allow you to use all the ~100 Museum adventure cards that would ordinarily be out of the game when using the Gates adventures:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18915815#18915815
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
That is not acceptable to me. I came up with simple variant that will allow you to use all the ~100 Museum adventure cards that would ordinarily be out of the game when using the Gates adventures

Wondering what you'll do in case they decide the next expansion is neither Arkham nor Museum (not trolling: I'm seriously curious)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol who are you to troll, J.

I have thought about that. And by that, I mean I have tried not to think of that. It could simply be un-sustainable.

I have no idea what to anticipate for the next expansion, but if it's another paradigm shift that's just as good as Gates, I'll have to think extra hard on it. And if it takes place somewhere other than Arkham, well... I may have to allow a die roll to decide where my Elder Sign game will take place this time.

Sky's the limit.
Is the next expansion going to be The Sky expansion!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Sky's the limit.

What about the Outskirts?

kungfro wrote:
Is the next expansion going to be The Sky expansion!?

Lol, could be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this already but don't know how it would all flush out but i had some ideas.

What if you replaced the gates of arkham card with a train station card where you can spend trophies to go to other locations. Maybe you start in normal GoA mode with 6 adventures in arkham, but you can add maybe 2 locations for dunwich or 2 for innsmouth.

Downside is it would start to sprawl on the table a bit (like its big brother) and balance would need to be considered. Maybe midnight effects and portals opening only happen in those locations if an investigator is in the town. Maybe portals tally up regardless of location for mythos effects etc. maybe you can only have 1 portal cap in the other towns.

for example: arkham could have 6 adventures with up to 3 portals, innsmouth and dunwhich 2 adventures with 1 portal. this could get you up to 15 cards on the table and it would be busy but it would also be pretty epic. this would make some AO super hard to fight and some mythos cards brutal if you let the portals run a muck.

You could have other neat effects too like sub counters that can trigger the dunwhich horror to appear.

ways to expand the game in a logical way are available...board space might be the enemy though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

it'd be a little more complicated than that, I'm afraid. If you add locations, you basically change two very important parameters:

a) number of potential locks, that increases
b) number of potential monsters on the same adventure, that dilutes

Opening the board to different combos and covering a bigger surface could be fun, but some more rules are needed to have everything working properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh for sure that is why i mentioned it would need to be balanced. it is far from a complete idea. I was just giving an example of a way to integrate further expansions with the current game. It would really make it feel more like AH which i think is cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written out the Promo Ancient Ones and have enjoyed adding them to the host of enemies. How do you think it would go if I added the ones from Gates of Arkham, and just change the gate icons to monster icons? Has anyone tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gate icons in non-Streets of Arkham mode is covered by the rules: treat those as a -1 San for each investigator (panel 5 of the rules, under "New Doom Icon"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Gate icons in non-Streets of Arkham mode is covered by the rules: treat those as a -1 San for each investigator (panel 5 of the rules, under "New Doom Icon"
Awesome! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls