United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know the name of the artist behind all the pieces done in this style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woah. No idea who that is, but it's a pretty amazing picture. What is that bad guy? It almost looks like a Wet Nurse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's from this update. It's not mentioned by name. Probably not anything that's been revealed. Might not even be anything specific.

This is just the first piece I saw in the KD:M gallery here on BGG. This artist has done a ton of the art assets for this game though (ie. Spidercules, Dung Beetle Knight, Slenderman are some examples I see browsing the KS updates). I just really love their style and I'm hoping to figure out their name to maybe buy some new art for the house, KD:M-related or otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zephyr40k wrote:
Woah. No idea who that is, but it's a pretty amazing picture. What is that bad guy? It almost looks like a Wet Nurse.

Definitely not a Wet Nurse, lol. But yeah, the monster may not be anything specific, and we definitely haven't seen anything that fits its profile.

This is the art for the Nemesis Encounter rules, and none of the known Nemesis Monsters look like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Lokman Lam, Danny Cruz and Yasmine Putri have done art for the game and the range of miniatures.
I don't know them too much to tell if any of them is the author of that piece.
There's probably more authors doing art for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, Lokman Lam seems to mainly do the concept art for the survivors and pinups as well as a lot of card art, Danny Cruz seems to do concept art for the monsters, and Yasmine Putri does a bit of both.

The BGG page credits Jon Troy Nickel and Lorinda Tomko who seem to do sculpts and resource cards, respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
If I were a betting man I'd say Yasmine Putri , and it looks like her work, but no way to know for sure without asking Adam or waiting for the book (might not even know then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Troy Nickel is a 3D artist.
He's done the 3D renders of some of the miniatures of the Kingdom Death range.
Lorinda Tomko however is an illustrator. Looking at some of her images on the web it's possible she did that piece but I can't say for sure.
Maybe we should start a contest.
The winner receives a visit of the Gorm. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Bernado wrote:
Jon Troy Nickel is a 3D artist.
He's done the 3D renders of some of the miniatures of the Kingdom Death range.
Lorinda Tomko however is an illustrator. Looking at some of her images on the web it's possible she did that piece but I can't say for sure.
Maybe we should start a contest.
The winner receives a visit of the Gorm. gulp

You might be right, Yasmine usually does single character art, so it's probably more likely Lorinda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure who the artist is - but I think the monster in the Phoenix. The hand look like they match, and the size of it looks about right. Just speculation at this point, though. I think I also see a beak! This makes me think the Phoenix might be a nemesis under certain circumstances? This combined with one of the events that can be seen at the GenCon booth suggests this I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
HaleysRedComet wrote:
Not sure who the artist is - but I think the monster in the Phoenix. The hand look like they match, and the size of it looks about right. Just speculation at this point, though. I think I also see a beak! This makes me think the Phoenix might be a nemesis under certain circumstances? This combined with one of the events that can be seen at the GenCon booth suggests this I think.

What? I'm sorry, but how are you getting "Phoenix" out of that silhouette of a clearly bipedal, 2-armed, no-winged monster about half the size of the Phoenix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Elyklord wrote:
HaleysRedComet wrote:

What? I'm sorry, but how are you getting "Phoenix" out of that silhouette of a clearly bipedal, 2-armed, no-winged monster about half the size of the Phoenix?

Don't forget it's holding a lantern, and it's in the nemesis part of the book, a nemesis we haven't seen yet obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The head and hand shape looks about the same, and the size looks about right. The "spikes" on top could be the "fingernails" at the ends of the wings, who knows if they fold up in a weird way or if the angle of the monster is messing with what we see. Also - the thing has a human face inside it's mouth, so who knows if it is actually a human with bird features and therefore possibly bipedal or a bird with a human face in it's mouth. This is just me looking at what we have seen so far and guessing that -if- it is a monster we have seen so far it would be the Phoenix. Don't forget - there is an image of the event associated with the Phoenix that may suggest it could be a nemesis fight.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The text says that the settlement finds a feather, and one of the outcomes says something about an oncoming trial. To me - this says that the Phoenix is coming for the settlement.

Just speculation at this point, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, here is the gallery with the image I am referring to. Spoilers ahead.

http://imgur.com/a/4SxfI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw that image. But in one of the interviews with Adam, he points to a story event in the book that(spoiler):

...occurs during the 2nd Lantern Year. The event has a spread similar to that Phoenix event, and is called "Endless Screams" or something. After the event, you add the Screaming Antelope to the lineup of huntable monsters.

So I'm thinking that the Phoenix event
is the event that adds the Phoenix to the list of huntable monsters, which would take into account the "trial" thing.

Adam has been pretty clear that specific Monsters are Nemesis monsters and are not normally huntable, and we haven't seen any mention yet of the Phoenix being one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in agreement with Kyle here, but thanks for that link. I hadn't seen those photos yet. Nothing I've seen of GenCon actually provided that clear of a shot of the game text. So legible. Much excite. Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
HaleysRedComet wrote:
The head and hand shape looks about the same, and the size looks about right. The "spikes" on top could be the "fingernails" at the ends of the wings, who knows if they fold up in a weird way or if the angle of the monster is messing with what we see. Also - the thing has a human face inside it's mouth, so who knows if it is actually a human with bird features and therefore possibly bipedal or a bird with a human face in it's mouth. This is just me looking at what we have seen so far and guessing that -if- it is a monster we have seen so far it would be the Phoenix. Don't forget - there is an image of the event associated with the Phoenix that may suggest it could be a nemesis fight.
The text says that the settlement finds a feather, and one of the outcomes says something about an oncoming trial. To me - this says that the Phoenix is coming for the settlement.

The Phoenix isn't a nemesis, so why would the art for the nemesis section of the book be a Phoenix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevertellmetheodds wrote:
HaleysRedComet wrote:

The Phoenix isn't a nemesis, so why would the art for the nemesis section of the book be a Phoenix?

I mean - is there anything concrete saying it cannot be both a nemesis and a hunt-able monster as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
HaleysRedComet wrote:
I mean - is there anything concrete saying it cannot be both a nemesis and a hunt-able monster as well?

It hasn't been put in those exact words but there are plenty of indicators.

1. Certain monsters are specifically called Nemesis monsters - there has been nothing that says "any monster can cause a Nemesis encounter"

2. In the TechRaptor demo:

...there was an Innovation shown called the Heart Flute. If you played it, you roll a d10 and it would either kill you, add a Nemesis Encounter to the next Lantern Year, or allow you to choose a Nemesis monster and immediately encounter it.

You wouldn't need something like the Heart Flute if Nemesis Monsters were normally huntable.

That said, there do seem to be cases where you can have an unexpected encounter with Monsters while you are out hunting. One note in a playtest log said that while hunting a Screaming Antelope, there had been a chance that they'd run into a Lvl 3 White Lion. And the Manhunter has been described as a Nemesis that can show up while you are in the middle of fighting something else.

So do I think a Phoenix could show up unexpectedly during a hunt? Yes. We already know this can happen when using the Lonely Tree expansion.

Do I think a Phoenix would ever be considered a Nemesis Monster or be part of the very specific Nemesis Encounter rules? No, we've seen no evidence of overlap between "huntable" and "nemesis," the two seem to be very distinct classes of creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Marcs
msg tools
mb
Sooooo... about that artist ?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artist I don't know.

The monster is a Butcher with spindly arms. Looks like it mutated and grew somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
Artist I don't know.

The monster is a Butcher with spindly arms. Looks like it mutated and grew somehow.

I definitely don't think it is anything from the core game, it doesn't look like the Butcher, Kings Man or Hand. I think it's just supposed to be representative of a Nemesis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
LL6869 wrote:
Artist I don't know.

I definitely don't think it is anything from the core game, it doesn't look like the Butcher, Kings Man or Hand. I think it's just supposed to be representative of a Nemesis

The Butcher grows in power with the settlement. Look at the silhouette of the Butcher's helm and you can see the jaw, armored nose and distinctive back spikes. It's just a lvl 3 Butcher
(Maybe he steals lanterns to fuel that large one he has.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I still think the shadow looks more like a Wetnurse than a Butcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
The things that people see in this image is starting to become comical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.