Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have a bit of an ulterior motive for kicking off this year's Midcon thread. But for more, see below.

For those that don't know, Midcon is one of the biggest UK games conventions, and it takes place every November (the 13th-15th inclusive this year) at the brilliant Hallmark Hotel in the middle of Derby. The recent years have drawn overwhelmingly good reviews, thanks to the hardworking committee, a hotel that can't do too much to accommodate us, and - of course - a solid 72 hours of gaming.

So please use this thread to announce your attendance, match-make with some longer/rarer games you'd really like to play, offer lifts, and generally banter about the beer and other plans.

You can (and you should!) book your attendance at this year's con through the website:

http://www.fbgames.co.uk/Midcon/default.htm

To quote Paul's excellent blurb from last year:

Quote:
For those who have been to The UK Games Expo the main differences with MidCon are;

There are fewer than 200 people at this shindig.

It's all about playing games (and drinking, talking about nothing in particular, going out for meals, sleep as an option). That's playing games that you or others have brought with you, not games someone is trying to sell you.

There is a shop selling games (Spirit games all the way from Burton) and a bring and buy. That's the full extent of commercial activities.

There is a perception that MidCon is a Diplomacy tournament. This was a major part of the early events, but I've not played the game at the con since 1985, so it's hardly compulsory. There will be a Dip tournament there, which is usually a single board with game starts on each of the 3 days, usually featuring the same players in a different order each time. They will be delighted to let you play, and will offer you plenty of help and advice during the game (such nice people).

If you want to attend for just 1 day that's fine, pay your fee on arrival and join in. Saturday gives you the longest games session, although Friday at noon-ish to bedtime and Sunday at 10 to about 6 are decent length sessions. Also if you want the whole 3 days but don't want a hotel room that's also fine. You will save money by paying your con fee (which pays for the incredibly expensive rooms we hire for the playing of the games) in advance, but can pay on arrival.

Plus, I'd like to take the opportunity to advertise the first ever Midcon Kniziathon, having just gotten the green light from the committee.

What is a Kniziathon? It's an opportunity not just to play your choice of Reiner Knizia's best games, but an opportunity to do so and win prizes! Play the games, submit the winners, and I'll manipulate them through an over-complicated Excel algorithm which will produce a running score. The people who score the most will win some games, kindly contributed by www.knizia.de !

The Kniziathon appeals: over at [geeklist=195004]this geeklist[/geeklist] is the list of games I'm currently planning to contribute to the Kniziathon. Obviously, the more games the better, so if people are able to lend copies of Knizia games that are not on the list (and, even better, hang around and teach them), I'd be very grateful. Certainly pint-of-beer grateful (hint, hint).

The event is planned to take place on the Sunday of Midcon, 15th November, 10am-4pm (nominally), and the lovely committee peeps have promised us a room too!

The Kniziathon will be a completely optional part of Midcon, but I'd like as many people as possible to turn up, obviously! My advice is to play plenty of non-Knizia games on Friday and Saturday to whet your thirst for sessions of Modern Art, Taj Mahal, Tigris & Euphrates and other classics on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be going and whoosh second post, I feel honoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm pleased it got beyond 1st post...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after I tried out ManorCon this year and loved it (even wrote a blog report on it), I'm keen to do MidCon as well even if the travel/accomodation will cost a bit more.

Does anyone have an update as to the pricing of the Thursday 12th nights yet though??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Well after I tried out ManorCon this year and loved it (even wrote a blog report on it), I'm keen to do MidCon as well even if the travel/accomodation will cost a bit more.

Does anyone have an update as to the pricing of the Thursday 12th nights yet though??

Also considering it, as I *didn't* go to ManorCon and am kicking myself for it!

Do we have to perform any wizardry or use a magic coupon or passphrase to get the stated hotel rates for the Con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harrington
United Kingdom
Hertford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
farmergiles wrote:
Well after I tried out ManorCon this year and loved it (even wrote a blog report on it), I'm keen to do MidCon as well even if the travel/accommodation will cost a bit more.

Thursday night room rates confirmed

An increasing number of people are now turning up for the con one day early to take advantage of the fact that the con starts on Friday much earlier than it used to.

The numbers are not large enough for the Hallmark to offer the same cheap rate they offer for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but the hotel has agreed to offer a discount on its regular rates.

Long story short, the room rates for Thursday are £5 above the standard con rates. You can book directly via the hotel; phone 'em up and ask for the Thursday night room rate and, just to be on the safe side, check what that room rate is. I am assuming it is +£5 per room, but it might be per person.

I reckon there were about 20 or so Thursday nighters there last year.

Cheers,

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiendish wrote:
farmergiles wrote:
Well after I tried out ManorCon this year and loved it (even wrote a blog report on it), I'm keen to do MidCon as well even if the travel/accommodation will cost a bit more.

Thursday night room rates confirmed

An increasing number of people are now turning up for the con one day early to take advantage of the fact that the con starts on Friday much earlier than it used to.

The numbers are not large enough for the Hallmark to offer the same cheap rate they offer for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but the hotel has agreed to offer a discount on its regular rates.

Long story short, the room rates for Thursday are £5 above the standard con rates. You can book directly via the hotel; phone 'em up and ask for the Thursday night room rate and, just to be on the safe side, check what that room rate is. I am assuming it is +£5 per room, but it might be per person.

I reckon there were about 20 or so Thursday nighters there last year.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for confirming it. If I am free for it, it'd make sense for me to come up on the Thursday night from work so it's good to know what to expect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. It's a 3 hour plus journey and I ain't making that on Friday morning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...I wasn't PLANNING on coming up on Thursday...

But I might do if there are some games going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I left straight after work, I wouldn't arrive till probably 8pm at earliest with the traffic. Let's say 9pm to be more realistic - if I'm in a game at that point it ain't going to be a long one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun M
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tempted by this, but I've never been to games con before...is there anything I need to be aware of before I commit? Do I need to bring games with me? (not that I've got many as I'm fairly new to whole modern tabletop gaming thingy) And does it matter that I don't know most of the games on the Kniziathon list??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Knizia list is just a gimmick, you can play any games you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun M
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that'd be the case, but decided it was best to check first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
The Knizia list is just a gimmick, you can play any games you choose!

a) I'll clarify that the Kniziathon is only one day out of three, completely optional, and will of course be Knizia games only. I'd like to think of it as a bit more than a gimmick, more an opportunity to explore the games of one of the premium designers and with an opportunity to win free stuff!

b) The games on the Geeklist are the ones in my collection which I will be bringing along to kick-start the event. I really want/need all owners of Knizia games to bring theirs along as well, and be willing to teach them. This particularly applies to some of the 'big boys' that I don't own: Ra, Amun-Re and Samurai. If you're going to bring them along, please add them to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok gimmick is wrong word but I only like one Knizia game anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Ok gimmick is wrong word but I only like one Knizia game anyway!

I would suggest that's because you haven't tried enough of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I hope to find more, let's see, looking at his most notable games.

Ones I've played but didn't like............Modern Art. . . . Through the Desert. . . . Priests of Ra. . . Lord of the Rings. . . Ingenious. . . . Colossal Arena. . . well that one was ok.

However I've really enjoyed Tigris & Euphrates since FFG reprinted it, enough to make my Top 75. :-)

It's nothing personal, I just am a big fan of theme in my games usually though I do proper abstract games too. I have a similar thing with Stefan Feld - I love Amerigo, but am "meh" about his other stuff so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice on the Kniziathon - use a spreadsheet to do the scoring! It rapidly gets out of hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoraceHonkyHorn wrote:
Very tempted by this, but I've never been to games con before...is there anything I need to be aware of before I commit? Do I need to bring games with me? (not that I've got many as I'm fairly new to whole modern tabletop gaming thingy) And does it matter that I don't know most of the games on the Kniziathon list??

You definitely don't need to bring games - people bring plenty of games and will lend out their games to complete strangers all through the event if required. If you want to play something obscure or long out of print you might need your own copy, but the top few hundred in the BGG rankings will be easy to find.

Not knowing the rules to games is an expected event - unless you're playing an old favourite with your usual group there will always be someone at the table who needs a rules explanation. At Manorcon last month (an OK but not as good as MidCon event) in 3 days I played 1 game without having to go through the rules.

Here's a guide for people who haven't been to a UK con before. The MidCon website also has a download of last year's con booklet and some useful links.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/919344/fancy-going-con-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byll The Captain
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Worcs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be going. Is it 2 years I've been saying I'm bound to play a game that
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
is playing in at some point in the weekend. I'm not planning on arriving until Friday afternoon.
Creature.
Habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
byll wrote:
I'll be going. Is it 2 years I've been saying I'm bound to play a game that
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
is playing in at some point in the weekend. I'm not planning on arriving until Friday afternoon.
Creature.
Habit.

Well, we do play games together every Friday. It's probably not obligatory to carry on the trend into Midcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kniziathon Update

Wow - thanks a lot to those wonderful folks at Knizia games. A huge parcel arrived today with postcards, certificates, signed photos and no less than SIX signed games to give away as prizes.

There's no going back now!

What I need now is a few more of those big-name games. Please bring along your Knizias and lend them to the 'Thon for the day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Kniziathon Update

Wow - thanks a lot to those wonderful folks at Knizia games. A huge parcel arrived today with postcards, certificates, signed photos and no less than SIX signed games to give away as prizes.

What I need now is a few more of those big-name games. Please bring along your Knizias and lend them to the 'Thon for the day!

Did it include the new Hobbit game and expansion? (I took part in a Kniziathon earlier this year. Got the Japanese themed Escalation! game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
ousgg wrote:
Kniziathon Update

Did it include the new Hobbit game and expansion? (I took part in a Kniziathon earlier this year. Got the Japanese themed Escalation! game )

Sadly not. A couple of a good games, a couple of family games, and a couple of kids games. Probably a bit of filler, but when you're only expecting three games, there's no complaining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do we have to sign up to the Kniziathon or just roll up on the day? Which day of the con is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |