Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: Why face up discards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kalma kalma
msg tools
mb
Hi,

With couple of enjoyable games under my belt I ask this. Is there a particular reason why discards, say to increase the size or the population of a species, are to be placed face up into the discard pile?

Granted, I think, only the Phase 3: Play Cards in the rules mentions to discard cards face up onto the discard pile. But I've assumed you discard cards face up also when species goes extinct.

I've also assumed you discard cards individually one by one and not in piles of several cards when you show only the the top card but increase population and/or size multiple times.

Why there is not a rule to discard cards face down to deter card counting? Just to make a distinction between the Discard Pile and the Trait Card Pile? One could distinct between the two easily in other ways too. Or is the face up discard better for tournament play(with card counting)?

I'm just honestly curious what's the reason for the face up discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes it easier to distinguish between the draw & discard pile. As for card counters: don't play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing in the rules that says you can't count cards whistle

In fact I'd say it's a definite feature of the game that there are predictable amounts of various cards. (i.e. realizing all the ambush/intelligence cards have been dumped so you don't need to mess with body size on warning call protected creatures) It's not that hard to track in your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
As for card counters: don't play with them.

iswearihaveajob wrote:
Nothing in the rules that says you can't count cards whistle

Aaaaand in this corner, on the up-and-up, MJC Aernout!

Aaaaand in this corner, insisting you can do whatever the rules don't say you can do, Swearington McIswearihaveajob!

midnight_reaper wrote:
All right, gentleman, you know the rules: keep it clean, and the most hilarious (counter)argument wins. Fight!

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Roeber
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I find the 'remove 40 random cards' rule to be a nice bonus in the two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game of mine, one player discarded a Carnivore trait to increase population the same turn he played a Carnivore trait on his species. We were misdirected by the discard into thinking that he wasn't going Carnivore this turn... not sure if it was his intention to trick us, but it was an interesting side effect of the "discard face up" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.