United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The advertisements are slowing ramping up for this new series on BBCA. They seem to find time so squeeze in a couple ads in between the Doctor Who and Top Gear slots.

My understanding is that it's based on a book (series?), and is set in Anglo-Saxon England.

Does anyone else know much about the source material? Main characters? Overarching themes? Gotta see if this series is worth taking up DVR space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMDB wrote:
The Last Kingdom is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Warlord Chronicles.

That, at least, sounds promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernard Cornwell's book series? Might be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw the trailer.

Square shields?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
Just saw the trailer.

Square shields?
Oh dear. The books are very historically accurate*, and a lot of attention is given to the shield wall in combat, and the use of round shields - it looks like that has been ditched by this production, which may not bode well for the rest of the plot.

*one of the joys of the books is the author includes an epilogue discussing the historical realities, and where he has taken liberties with the facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did ANYONE use square shields, anywhere?

I've seen elongated rectangles & ellipses, round, and "kite" or "heater", but never a square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:

I've seen elongated rectangles & ellipses, round, and "kite" or "heater", but never a square.

Just because it was never drawn doesn't necessarily mean they never existed. In the pre-Industrial world, variations existed in most things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:

Having watched the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-LUPGNXb78 it is hard to see if the shields are squares or rectangles. Also in the very next scene it shows a long shield wall round shields so I think people's fears can be assuaged that they aren't taking too many liberties.

As for the use of square/rectangular shields at this time, it was wide spread.

The Rus people, who then transformed into the Russians, were a group of Vikings that sailed down the Dnieper River and decided to stay at a little town called Kiev. One of their first chieftains had the fantastic name Oleg the Wizard! (Why can't modern celebraties name their children more like that, sounds far better than Apple) They predominately used square/rectangular shields. Some evidence suggests that these shields came from the shipboard combat that they initially practiced as Vikings.

Also there is evidence that the Irish used small square/rectangular shield. Although the shields in the trailer didn't look that small.

For further reading I'd suggest the Osprey set of books. Also Armies of the Dark Ages by Ian Heath has some good information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TunzaG wrote:
"Having watched the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-LUPGNXb78 it information.

That looks a bit more promising. I watched this trailer.

And thought "GROAN"

And while the shields aren't square like I originally thought last night, (it had been a long day) I don't recall seeing shields like that mentioned anywhere in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The books are very good. If the show stays true to the writing, prepare to be very irritated with King Alfred. He's a pill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls