Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing my regular opponent last night. Call him Mike. I was USSR and was having a good game but was unable to take advantage of scoring in the early war. The score was tight most of the game. He managed a South America control, I got a strong European domination... this was back and forth.

Going into turn 10 the score was at -7. Mike knew I was looking for Wargames and had used How I Learned to set the defcon to 5 earlier. I DID get Wargames in the deal! Mike headlined Missile Envy and stole it from me... so it was going to final scoring. After I played Iran Contra Scandal for the event his realignment setups weren't looking as good. In the end I managed to maintain some presence in SA, Dominated Central and Europe. He had a good domination in Africa and also managed to break a battleground in Asia at the last to score a domination there. Middle East was a wash. We began to tally the scores.

The VP marker danced back and forth until the score was at -5 with only Mike's Asia left. He has domination and one more battleground and says he can't believe he will lose by one point. I said "Mike, you have Afghanistan too." It was a draw. After all that, the score was zero.

Muahahahahahaaa!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Asia domination +4, 1 more battleground +1, Afghanistan +1= 6, perhaps you are misremembering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. It sounded wrong when I typed it but I didn't bother to check my numbers. You would think after 30 something games I could remember the scoring cards a bit better, but I fear my memory is not what it used to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you scored the China Card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get one VP for the China card at the beginning of the final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Iran-Contra was actually useful to you! I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Iran-Contra can be a very powerful card, especially if South America is still being contested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
So Iran-Contra was actually useful to you! I'm not sure I've ever seen that.

Iran-Contra is a ridiculously under-rated event. This is a great headline in Late War for the USSR.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the US also get -1 on their rolls on your realignments, so you now have a +1 advantage where it was even (pretty common in South American and parts of Africa).

This makes it much easier to knock them out of Venezuela, Brazil etc. or Angola, South Africa, Nigeria or Zaire. Even if you don't knock them out completely with one set of realignments, they'll usually have to respond by replacing the lost influence which means you are keeping tempo and can just try again next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Santos
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
[q="spartax"]

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the US also get -1 on their rolls on your realignments, so you now have a +1 advantage where it was even (pretty common in South American and parts of Africa).

This changes everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls