United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the staff cards wordings are pretty straight forward

e.g. "If played on a UK directed Offensive on the US Track +1 Strength".

Not much room for ambiguity there. It has to do with a specific issue that this card is being played on.

Same with "If Churchill is still active at this Conference, -2 Strength"

This refers to a general environment (Churchill being active) that affects the card.

Now comes the trickier ones, for example, Ernest Bevin
"If Pol-Mil issue on Soviet Track, -1 strength"

Does this refer to this card being used on a Pol-Mil issue that is on the Soviet track, or does the presence of a Pol-Mil issue on the Soviet track cause -1 Strength to this card no matter hat issue it is being used on?

There are a number of these that do not state, "If played on". Many can be read either as a set of conditions affecting the card (a general environment affecting the card) or could be read as if they are referring specifically to the issue being played on.

Id there a rule of thumb as to how to interpret these cases?

Some of the others
"If issue is on US Track +2 strength"
"If Strategic material issue on US or UK track, +3 Strength"
"If issue is on Soviet Track or Churchill is active in a conference, +1 Strngth"

Lastly, a specific question about Harry Hopkins, "If Strtegic Material issue and Roosevelt alive, Hopkins can have a strength from 1-6 at Roosevelt's option" Does that mean that you can set it to any value from 1 to 6 or that you use a die roll (guessing the former, but just want to make sure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rind
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was just about to start a thread asking your last question (Harry Hopkins). I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where you would not select the maximum value (that is, if the card mechanic is selection instead of a die roll) because I thought you could choose to end the movement of Strategic Materials in the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Some of the staff cards wordings are pretty straight forward

e.g. "If played on a UK directed Offensive on the US Track +1 Strength".

Not much room for ambiguity there. It has to do with a specific issue that this card is being played on.

Same with "If Churchill is still active at this Conference, -2 Strength"

This refers to a general environment (Churchill being active) that affects the card.

Now comes the trickier ones, for example, Ernest Bevin
"If Pol-Mil issue on Soviet Track, -1 strength"

Does this refer to this card being used on a Pol-Mil issue that is on the Soviet track, or does the presence of a Pol-Mil issue on the Soviet track cause -1 Strength to this card no matter hat issue it is being used on?

There are a number of these that do not state, "If played on". Many can be read either as a set of conditions affecting the card (a general environment affecting the card) or could be read as if they are referring specifically to the issue being played on.

Id there a rule of thumb as to how to interpret these cases?

Some of the others
"If issue is on US Track +2 strength"
"If Strategic material issue on US or UK track, +3 Strength"
"If issue is on Soviet Track or Churchill is active in a conference, +1 Strngth"

Lastly, a specific question about Harry Hopkins, "If Strtegic Material issue and Roosevelt alive, Hopkins can have a strength from 1-6 at Roosevelt's option" Does that mean that you can set it to any value from 1 to 6 or that you use a die roll (guessing the former, but just want to make sure).

In all situations the reference to an attribute is if it is played on the issue mentioned in the location mentioned in the text. There is no situation where you play on another issue and the issue mentioned is on the track has any impact.

Harry Hopkins is a 1-6 when played on the strategic issue so you can land it on the center of the table if you so desire.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark has stated somewhere that all effects that mention an issue are meant to be activated if played advancing or debating that specific issue only.

.... Too kate

.... lllllllll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Venus - Ari Brown
badge
This Is Your Brain On Music - Daniel J. Leviton
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
.... Too kate
... and a key's width off to the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rutgerseng wrote:
I was just about to start a thread asking your last question (Harry Hopkins). I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where you would not select the maximum value (that is, if the card mechanic is selection instead of a die roll) because I thought you could choose to end the movement of Strategic Materials in the center.

Only second front and USSR declares war on japan can normally be stopped in the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rind
United States
California
flag msg tools
Benji68 wrote:

Only second front and USSR declares war on japan can normally be stopped in the center.

Thank you for that clarification. When I read 5.27, I lumped Strat. Mat. in with the 2 conditional issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also the back of the markers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the only staff card that I'm unsure of is Sir Andrew Cunningham: If European Leadership Change, +2 Strength. The wording is a bit odd, but I have assumed that it's +2 when advancing the European Leadership issue. Not sure if that's correct or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
I believe the only staff card that I'm unsure of is Sir Andrew Cunningham: If European Leadership Change, +2 Strength. The wording is a bit odd, but I have assumed that it's +2 when advancing the European Leadership issue. Not sure if that's correct or not.
Again, only as an obsessed back-seat driver until my copy arrives this week, that's the way I'd read that card. 3.28 even mentions shorthand being used for titles of the issue on the cards as necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls