Subject: Shielding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Kane
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
I'm playing my first game and have resolved a combat which seems a little harsh to say the least: Four brigades of D'Erlon's Corp, each with 4 white dots (full strength) and supported by D'Erlon himself (at 2 stars) attack two British units, Somerset's cavalry at full strength (4 red dots) and some horse artillery (2 cannonballs) defending with a terrain bonus of 2. Showdown reveals combat values being 18/8 respectively. The application of the result will leave the British with either Somerset's cavalry on its last white dot or the horse artillery on 1 cannonball. The French lose a quarter of the 10 losses inflicted, which is 3, but these are easily absorbed by the 4 brigades resulting in no actual loss. I find the outcome of that combat very harsh on the British. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are the same kind of results I have seen in my games. I learned that you cannot stand out in low-modifier terrain with two units. About the only thing the British can do in your situation is try to mount a counterattack with Leader and artillery support to damage the French. Or target any French units (1 or 2 of them) in similar terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Kane
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
If we were playing with the optional rules, then the best chance for the British to inflict serious losses on my attacking French Corps (D'Erlon), would be to attack it with a mass cavalry charge using the Cavalry Charge bonus rule. Throw in a leader and some artillery and those 4 blocks would take some serious losses. They only have white dots on their strongest sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We use the Cavalry Charge rule for just such a situation. It keeps you honest, and there are less 4-step cavalry units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You cannot escape a step loss with white units if you need to take 3 hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If there were 4 units of 4-steps, all with white dots, then I believe they could absorb up to 4 hits without losing a step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Then I must have misunderstood the whole loss taking process. Two hits is needed to reduce a white side unit, right? Then if you have to suffer three hits, surely you reduce one unit to cover two hits, but the third is ignored if the largest unit is still white? Anything else would be very confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Delirium_EU wrote:
Then I must have misunderstood the whole loss taking process. Two hits is needed to reduce a white side unit, right? Then if you have to suffer three hits, surely you reduce one unit to cover two hits, but the third is ignored if the largest unit is still white? Anything else would be very confusing.

No.
Read the thread on loss taking. There is a logical reason for why it is done that way. The rule is not perfectly clear but the clarifications the designer provided make it abundantly clear.

Carry on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Okay, now I understand but I have to say I do not like the mechanic. In any case this has to be FAQ'ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delirium_EU wrote:
Okay, now I understand but I have to say I do not like the mechanic. In any case this has to be FAQ'ed.

It's in the FAQ document I'm preparing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Delirium_EU wrote:

Its just different. It takes into consideration a lot of different things. Each block is not a dumb blockk= to ABC. EAch block is a Brigade of men of different training, different morale, different leadership.
Thus as you fight the losses inflicted show that better units of equal stature absorb more with taking less damage.

The trouble I had coming into this game is that I brought the baggage of every other basic dumbed down block game with me. There is a lot of thought and subtlety here. For instance - one block does 3 red, 2 red 2 white then 1 black versus a similar cav unit being much more fragile.

We played again last nite, and the way to do this is pop the little mini blocks down and allocate the hits, that way... makes it much clearer. Have fun buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you do recognize how the combat system can be very brutal on a weak defender. However, you will find over the course of many plays that it is actually the French (who have lower strength values per unit) who are very vulnerable to army Demoralization (or the loss of 10 units). The Anglo-Allied player can use his nasty, fast cavalry units and available leaders plus one artillery unit to lay low French penetrations especially by weak cavalry units.

Still, Waterloo 200 is a blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.