Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh WOW!

I just stumbled over this as a mini-banner ad on the USCF website and went scurrying to learn about it -- there is a movie coming out in September called Pawn Sacrifice, about Bobby Fischer and the World Championship match with Boris Spassky, and starring Tobey Maguire!

Even the trailer is dynamic and exciting to me, and rings totally true:

The IMDb page is here.

I have not been to see a movie on the big screen in nearly 20 years, but right now I am so excited about this that I'm ready to pitch a tent on the sidewalk in front of the theater so I can buy the first ticket!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Box
Mexico
Querétaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - this looks like it has a lot of potential - thanks for flagging it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xobxela wrote:
.... this looks like it has a lot of potential ....

It remains to be seen how it holds up as a *movie*, and any movie buff can easily think of times when a trailer was better than the film, but at least the chess and competition scenes in the trailer look and feel.... "chessy".

I went power walking with my neighbor just after posting here and was trying to explain to him why I was so jazzed up, and just how cringe worthy most attempts are to portray chess in TV and films, but this one does indeed seem to have potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't there been a good documentary about Bobby Fischer recently. HBO I believe. With recent biopics in mind - Alan Türing - I wouldn't have too high expectations.

But if it's there I certainly go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be thrilled to no end if there are no technical errors in setting the board correctly.

Pretty tired of seeing a black square in the right-hand corner as h1 and the white Queen on e1 in the initial position.

The bar has been set low. Won't take much to become the "best" chess movie of all-time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:

The bar has been set low. Won't take much to become the "best" chess movie of all-time.

Searching for Bobby Fischer was quite good, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Searching for Bobby Fischer was quite good, I think.

I enjoyed it quite a lot too, enough to even get past what's-his-face chewing the scenery in his, erm, "dramatic interpretation" of Bruce Pandolfini. I had to watch eBay for years to find the DVD at a reasonable price, they stayed pretty high for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to seeing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.