8 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Augmenting Federation of Sol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
One thing always bothered me about Rex, this being awesome Sol bombardment ships, which, no matter how cool they look, don't actually help Sol very much- Sol ability to inform in advance about movement rarely proves useful.

Many players said that Sol are the least attractive race to play, and I agree with them. I believe they are the weakest race.

So, we tried to boost the Sol morale, ruling that instead of just looking top card of bombardment deck, they look first 2 cards, and put one of them at the bottom of the deck- they do this at the beginning of a round- this way the Sol actually have some control over the fleet, so they could feel the fleet really belongs to them, not just flying aimlessly around.

Anyway we tried it and it turned out really good, nobody complained about this ability, and the Sol player was satisfied.

The other idea could be giving Sol some protection from bombardment, but I consider it would be too much if they were just immune to it...

How do you feel about this all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It not bad. I think the Sol are suppose to be like cockroaches. Since the game is shortened from the original rex, this ability does not really shine.

I like the idea that if at anytime they have no strategy cards in their hand they draw one. It may be a little strong, but it goes with their theme of enduring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
take eacy
msg tools
I actually rather like the idea of choosing the top two bombardment cards (people can start to figure out the order of the cards otherwise)! Maybe you could remove the selected bombardment card from play until all the bombardment cards are used? This could help temper the ability and not make it so the Sol player overpicks high value numbers. You could probably tune this to maybe just resetting the deck when there is 1 card left (leave a mystery for the last choice but also some sense of control/prediction for the other players)

I don't know if you checked out the stats , but it seems like Sol and Letnev need the most help in 6p games. But in 4p Sol seems to shine. Any thoughts on helping Letnev shine?

Stats linked below (not mine, but I think great for discussing balance)

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20017104#20017104

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I actually rather like the idea of choosing the top two bombardment cards (people can start to figure out the order of the cards otherwise)!

Note that you're supposed to shuffle the six-card bombardment deck after each turn. It's essentially the equivalent of a six-sided die, but by having it as a deck it's easier to "roll" in secret and allow Sol to look at the result. Players shouldn't be able to predict that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
take eacy
msg tools
Whoops - thanks for correcting me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Sol has a strong game presence, but the victory condition is however, very potent. When you can just deploy 15 guys onto the top left stronghold and sacrifice them all on turn 8, it's really hard for anyone to hold it.

The other thing strong about it is that whereas other players have to work harder to achieve victory by controlling more strongholds, Sol's victory condition doesn't change. You just need the bottom and top left strongholds to be empty or controlled by Sol. I've won a good amount of games as Sol from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the possible abilities the fremen had in Dune was having only half their troops killed from an oncoming Storm.

As the fremen had become Sol, and the Storm the Fleet, I wonder if anyone tried to see what effect this has on game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One of the possible abilities the fremen had in Dune was having only half their troops killed from an oncoming Storm.

If you try this, I would suggest making it shared with the Fremen/Sol allies too.

The big gap for Sol is in the ally department. Their ally power is very weak compared to other players. Until you get close to the 8th turn, there's not as much value to teaming with Sol.

An alternate possibility:

What if Sol and allies could generate further income from picking Influence up off the board?

i.e.
For each 2 influence that Sol picks up during the Collection phase, each of Sol's allies receive 1 influence from the bank.

For each 2 influence that a Sol ally picks up during the Collection phase, Sol receives 1 influence from the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.