Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: It's not you, it's me -OR- Why I haven't played STAW in a year rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My basement flooded recently and so I had to evacuate all my board games and such. As I was packing up my STAW stuff, it dawned on me that I don't think I've played a game at all in 2015. In fact, I think I haven't really played a game in nearly a year.

I know this game has had its drama, but I still like it. Even with WORF and over powered combos, I think there is a really fun game here. Truth be told, I don't care about the controversies about WORF, or podcasts, or other such things. In theory, I really want to play.

But in reality building a fleet, setting everything up, and cleaning everything up when finished is a pain. And that is if I can get someone to play with me.

So, my Attack Wing stuff sits unplayed. I've kept up with getting expansions through wave 15. I really want to get the Kreetchta and Thunderchild, but I'm asking myself "Why?" I'm not really playing. Is it worth collecting just to sit in a box?

I'm curious... who else still really likes the game, wants to play, but hasn't for a long time? What are you going to do? Keep on collecting or slowly fade away or something else?

EDIT TO ADD...

For those who drifted away and then got back into it, what brought you back in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm kind of in a similar way with the game. I make the occasional OP event in the area when I'm free but mostly my stuff stays in it's box like X-Wing and I play D&D Attack Wing. That said I was a Trekkie growing up and I like the core mechanics and scenarios that come packaged with the expansion so I've still been buying expansions as I know that if there comes a time when I can't get to events and have no money for other games there exists a solid game with all 3 flight path system games that I can get out and play with friends or family. I've been making a point of learning some quick builds and will likely keep them ready to go when time is constrained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely have time to play anymore due to my work schedule and two children under two. Nowadays, I just purchase the ships I like instead of everything that comes out. I stopped chasing OP ships on eBay unless it's something I REALLY want. My collection is large enough at this point to have ample choices. I only play casually so to expediate play, I just make some relatively equal powered (usually thematic) lists in Spacedock in my spare time at work or my lunch break. On the off chance I have time/interest to play, I let the other players choose amongst the pre-made lists and battle it out or play a scenario. I'd really like to try a draft format but that would take more time than I currently have. My wallet certainly appreciates the diminished purchase rate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer is a busy time and I haven't had a chance to play too many games since most of the time schedules don't line up or movies/etc sidetrack everything and we don't get a chance to play.

That being said when I walk by my cabinet and see this:

Then I get the urge to play and attempt to get a game or two going every month or so. I guess in some ways I do collect some of these ships to "sit in a box"... granted a nice glass box.

Just because you may not buy a ship or two or any for awhile doesn't mean the game is "dead" just on-hold; most full blown table top games don't get releases every month so it is normal to hit that "point" where you just start buying the bits you want.

Now, on the other hand, what you could do is post a bit more on the forums here, listen to the various podcasts, watch the videos on State of the Federation and Wandering Inn Studios channel to get your mojo going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one hell of a set of beautiful ships in a glass box!

I usually don't like washes on Fed ships, as they are supposed to look prestine all the time, but your pic just there makes me overthink my point of view.

Sorry for off-topic rambling, just impressed here.

On topic, we have had quite a number of long term pauses in gameplay, although we have had a game or two this year already. So, I'd say don't give up on the game - and even if you do, don't let go of your collection. Keep it and use it in a few years (?) time, to have a friendly casual game of STAW and remember the good old times, when WK turned out a wave of somewhat flawed ships every month and we couldn't keep up with the pace.

Once the game is history, we'll all miss these days now, filled with pondering, hoping, bickering and anticipating of things yet to come (and to get angry about^^).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
Then I get the urge to play and attempt to get a game or two going every month or so. I guess in some ways I do collect some of these ships to "sit in a box"... granted a nice glass box.
That Constellation is truly remarkable. Is it a repaint of the Micro Machines sculpt, or something else? Either way, I don't think I've ever seen a miniature do that specific class as much justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amperglyph wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:
That Constellation is truly remarkable. Is it a repaint of the Micro Machines sculpt, or something else? Either way, I don't think I've ever seen a miniature do that specific class as much justice.

Thanks and I agree, after scouring the internet this was the best thign I could come up with, below is what the MM model looks like normally.

However, it is actually one of my worst repaints ironically due to the fact that the micro machines model is a weird kind of rubber with really hard to remove mold lines since it was like trimming one of those white erasers zombie

In case anybody is wondering the OS Enterprise shown was this:

Bought off eBay in 2014, it is a bit bigger than the Refit but it is still much better than the teeny-prize. Search this "Starfleet Heavy Cruiser Fasa Trek StarFleet Battles" if you want one.

Sorry to derail the thread. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan VanDeventer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I run a game store in Florida and run all the STAW events so I only get to play when teaching new players, helping a player try out a mission with a ship expansion (very rare), when someone wants to challenge my Worlds list in the store, and when I go to Worlds. This year I have got to personally teach 2 new players, play in Worlds, and accept 1 challenge.
The game is fun and I enjoy all of the expansions. I don't get to play often but when I do I make it worthwhile. Until then, I focus on the new players and create cool events to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other games I play, so it tends to be OPs only at the moment that I play. Simply because for my other half and some friends, STAW isn't their thing and we're more likely to reach for a standard board game...

Plus some of the games are other miniatures games like Armada and Imperial Assault - and there are only so many hours in the day! I like them all and so share out how much time each one gets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have always like the X-Wing minis more than STAW. But I'm a bigger Trek fan and the scenarios in the game and the diversity of ships is what pulled me into Attack Wing.

I love the look of the Star Wars Armada stuff. I haven't bought into it because I have so much STAW, but I honestly think I'd like Armada more. It is more of the kind of game I think I want Attack Wing to be. If I were to start from scratch and have to choose between the two, I think I'd probably go Armada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am getting back into it now because I found a storage solution that allows me to quickly pull the ship I want and play. Also, the borg have died down, I play Attack Wing for the Star Trek and the Borg have always been my least favorite part of Star Trek, plus it was not any fun playing them.the only problem is in Cleveland area the OPs we sparse, but I recently found one in Cleveland Heights so looking forward to trying that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kahlessthedude wrote:
...but I recently found one in Cleveland Heights so looking forward to trying that out.

You talking Critical Hit? That's where I play! Love that store, Greg and Grant are awesome. You're coming to Year of Hell in September?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScornMandark wrote:
Kahlessthedude wrote:
...but I recently found one in Cleveland Heights so looking forward to trying that out.

You talking Critical Hit? That's where I play! Love that store, Greg and Grant are awesome. You're coming to Year of Hell in September?

Yes, I just saw they have a game on Wizkids for September (already registered, and am excited to play again (have not played since January when the last OP was at Recess in North Olmstead). I am excited about checking out the store as well. I love supporting stores that hosts OPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome - it's a great place, I really hope you dig it too. See you at the OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drktron wrote:
I rarely have time to play anymore due to my work schedule and two children under two. Nowadays, I just purchase the ships I like instead of everything that comes out. I stopped chasing OP ships on eBay unless it's something I REALLY want. My collection is large enough at this point to have ample choices. I only play casually so to expediate play, I just make some relatively equal powered (usually thematic) lists in Spacedock in my spare time at work or my lunch break. On the off chance I have time/interest to play, I let the other players choose amongst the pre-made lists and battle it out or play a scenario. I'd really like to try a draft format but that would take more time than I currently have. My wallet certainly appreciates the diminished purchase rate!

I really like that idea. I might try to prepackage a couple of thematic fleets in one Plano box that would be easy to haul around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kahlessthedude wrote:
I am getting back into it now because I found a storage solution that allows me to quickly pull the ship I want and play. Also, the borg have died down, I play Attack Wing for the Star Trek and the Borg have always been my least favorite part of Star Trek, plus it was not any fun playing them.the only problem is in Cleveland area the OPs we sparse, but I recently found one in Cleveland Heights so looking forward to trying that out.

What's your storage solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midwest Razorback wrote:

For those who drifted away and then got back into it, what brought you back in?

I took about a half a year off STAW because of the Borg, crazy WORF rulings, game imbalances, and to play more FFG games like X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault.

Several things brought me back:

1. the Borg nerf which allows my Klingons to compete again

2. WORF is getting better (the very quick errata on Lure, for example)

3. The game is starting to balance out. I've seen competitive Romulan, Bajoran, Dominion, Fed, and Klingon fleets lately.

4. X-Wing and Armada are inferior to STAW, IMHO, because they're both just storyless, soul-less, purposeless battles. STAW scenarios, however, allow you to recreate and roleplay your favourite Star Trek episodes and some missions can ever be won without ever firing a single shot.

5. Two FLGS in my area play fleet pure or penalty pure, favouring thematic play over cut-throat powergaming, thus allowing more friendly, diverse, and fun matches.

6. I missed playing my Klingons!

7. The STAW players in Winnipeg are a top-notch, fun, friendly gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls