Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to get several games in during the WBC. Excellent game, and a great time was had by all.

There was one situation that threw us...

In turn 'A', the Soviets invade Turkey but do not conquer it.
Later in turn 'A', the Axis attack Istanbul (and take it) causing a Partition in Turkey.
Neither conquers Turkey on turn 'A'.

In turn 'B', the Soviets go first and declare war on the Axis. At the end of the Soviet turn 'B', Turkey is still not conquered.

What happens to Turkey's relationships? Do they throw in with the Axis turning the Partition into an Intervention? Even though the Axis attacked them?

Do they stay an armed Neutral against both sides?

This has to be a rare situation, but it really did come up.

Thanks for a great game!
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers wrote:
I was fortunate enough to get several games in during the WBC. Excellent game, and a great time was had by all.

There was one situation that threw us...

In turn 'A', the Soviets invade Turkey but do not conquer it.
Later in turn 'A', the Axis attack Istanbul (and take it) causing a Partition in Turkey.
Neither conquers Turkey on turn 'A'.

In turn 'B', the Soviets go first and declare war on the Axis. At the end of the Soviet turn 'B', Turkey is still not conquered.

What happens to Turkey's relationships? Do they throw in with the Axis turning the Partition into an Intervention? Even though the Axis attacked them?

Do they stay an armed Neutral against both sides?

This has to be a rare situation, but it really did come up.

Thanks for a great game!
Bill

Bill,

Thanks, really glad you like it.

Wow, don't remember this ever happening in testing (at least to me).

I would rule that since the Axis is occupying Turkish territory (Istanbul) Intervention is triggered at the end of the [Axis] Movement phase (exchange units). However, even if this ruling is disputed, the Axis can surely trigger Intervention by occupying ANOTHER area of Turkey (Izmir?) in a subsequent Movement phase.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I just asked a similar question without searching...shame on me.

Craig, wouldn't it make sense that Turkey would side with the Faction that hadn't violated its neutrality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Yes it would make sense.

The question for me is: is it worth another rule?
This is an edge case to the max IMO.

Is having the 2nd Intervenor gain the allegiance of the victim after a DoW THAT bad?

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure. Haven't played enough to feel that one out. I would say for clarity you could say "Intervention: An enemy of the violator can convert...by moving a ground unit into its territory (even from within the armed neutral)."

That removes the ambiguity that I experienced, but doesn't add a rule that explains how one chooses which country the armed neutral "sides" with during a partition that then has a DoW break out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls