John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of the skirmish game so I set up random scenarios and played both sides using the suggested starter units and cards.

I was looking at some of the upcoming packs and got a crazy idea to try the Bantha Rider out using what I could make out from the deployment card in the FFG promo materials. I gave Fenn Signis the heave-ho and added the Bantha Rider to my rebel squad (I know I'd need a skirmish upgrade card to use him but I didn't mess with it this time).

So he was a lot of fun! Stomping around everywhere is great, especially with speed 5. Running up on top of a bunch of stormtroopers, pushing them aside with Trample (dealing 1 dmg) and then using the Stampede special action to do 1 red die worth of damage to up to 3 adjacent hostile figures is just plain fun. I even used him to force Vader to squeeze out into a different room than Diala as she was trying to carry an objective marker buying her an extra round.

Of course, he is a damage magnet with 21 health and no defense dice so if your opponent spends a whole turn focusing fire on him he's toast. It might be hard to show restraint with a rampaging bantha but maybe if you can rein him in a bit and only commit him into the fray once the shooting has started he can really clear out lots of low-health enemies and push around the tougher ones.

The tough question is whether it's worth $20 msrp (or $15 online price). I probably won't play enough IA (skirmish and campaign together) to make it worthwhile for me. But I bet anyone that plays a lot will enjoy it -- it probably comes with some fun missions and skirmish cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'd buy it just for the model!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed...instabuy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. even if he is totally worthless, I'd still buy it for the model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
Really looking forward to this.
Scum seems like they could use the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this:

Saska Theft
Bantha ride (you can bring it cuz of saska)
MHD-19
CPO
Loku Kanaloa
Mak eshka'rey
Gideon Argus

Block a corridor with the bantha. step right behind it with MHD and C3PO. MHD will heal it, CPO will give it an evade. Step behind the droids with Mak'eshka and Loku. These figures can shoot through your figures. Focus Mak eshka with CPO, focus Loku with Argus. They will shoot extremely far with the focus, but they need it, because the bantha is 3 space long and the droid occupy an other space.

Move slowly: Go 3 with the bantha, Argus can move Loku using an action, so Loku will be able to shoot with his special. CPO has movement 3, so he can follow the bantha and focus mak eshka as well.

Result: Bantha will shot, trample and defend your figures by blocking los. You can shoot through the bantha and the droids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Bantha Rider because when I put it on the board, my girlfriend (my only skirmish opponent so far) gets worried. He did have a bullseye on his back, though.

However, I also brought him out early in a Campaign Mission (I won't say which one), and even though there was a lot of interior in that mission, there was enough of a bottleneck in the exterior spaces that I was able to pile on some damage to the rebels. They were too busy trying to get inside to worry about killing him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.