Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the same question on the Kickstarter, but I thought I'd get more responses here.

I just decided to back the Kickstarter. However, I only want one expansion. I don't want to pay for a second expansion, and the game is unlikely to see enough plays to warrant two expansions anytime soon. My gaming group tends to run 4+. Most people seem to like Merchants better, but with 2 players. People say that Farmers is made for more players, so does it really help more than Merchants, and does it even address a big problem to begin with?

Which one is best for 4+ and also less complicated? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants. The contracts mitigate the luck of Winter tile draw and availability.

Both are great, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
Yeah, if I had to choose only one I would go with Merchants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Yeah, if I had to choose only one I would go with Merchants.

Echoed. Merchants turned the game from something I mostly just admired into something that I want to play.

EDIT: To be fair, though, I have never played with 5-6 players. With 4 though I stand by my statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go counter to the above: Farmers for bigger groups.

Merchants makes the game deeper. Farmers offers more tiles to randomize. In smaller groups, more tiles aren't needed and, in fact, won't be good due to diluting the pool.

edit: plus, the promo IS for Farmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a real problem in running out of tiles in a 4+ game? How many are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Is there a real problem in running out of tiles in a 4+ game? How many are there?

No, you never run out, but in the base game with 6 players you'll use every tile. The more tiles you add, the more game-setup variety there is. That attribute is less important to me, but yeah Farmers has more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Another vote for "Merchants usually gets my recommendation, but for larger groups Farmers has a lot of value and might be the better choice".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thanks everyone. I think I will go with Merchants this time around. I'm sure I can get my hands on Farmers at some point if I really feel like I need the variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls