Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Windsor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everybody

I'm relocating to Switzerland (Zurich/Luzern region) with my job. Any wargamers in the area?

Most of my collection is going into storage here in California, but bringing an assortment of my faves from GMT, MMP, etc. I'm mostly a solo gamer but would be interested in meeting any others or clubs in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I work for a Swiss company and may move at some point but still currently located in the U.S.

I would suggest looking for an opponent on Vassal engine forum. I expect that with some diligence, you can develope a network of folks out there. All the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Windsor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
Chris, I work for a Swiss company and may move at some point but still currently located in the U.S.

I would suggest looking for an opponent on Vassal engine forum. I expect that with some diligence, you can develope a network of folks out there. All the best.

Thanks Jeb, I'll try that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
More Vassal Players here on the geek

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/194500/vassalcyberboardsy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

I am intersted, got lots of games just gathering dust on my shelf, due to lack of players. I live in Zürich. PM me if interested. And good luck with your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for a Swiss company and come over every couple of months. Usually I have a free evening. Would always be based in Zurich though - either Sihl area or out in Rüschlikon. I would be up for a game.

The Swiss geeks can probably work out who I might work for now. whistle

I see there are also Guild pages for both Luzern and Zuerich Zurich and Luzern - the links are to a few game stores and clubs and at least one active MeetUp group.

Hardcore wargamers might be thin on the ground though, you may have to work on converting the Swiss eurogamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:

Hardcore wargamers might be thin on the ground though, you may have to work on converting the Swiss eurogamers.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, the Swiss are very good at converting euros whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Hey Chris,

I am intersted, got lots of games just gathering dust on my shelf, due to lack of players. I live in Zürich. PM me if interested. And good luck with your move.

I think it may be more to do with the size of your collection than just lack of players! Impressively comprehensive collection of quality games you have there!

I might be up for a game one evening too, if that is all right.

P.S. The third possibility is you need to employ a cleaner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notquitekarpov wrote:
coralsaw wrote:
Hey Chris,

I think it may be more to do with the size of your collection than just lack of players! Impressively comprehensive collection of quality games you have there!

I might be up for a game one evening too, if that is all right.

P.S. The third possibility is you need to employ a cleaner.

Cool, up for it. We can also combine both cleaning and gaming.. Euros conversion work too, Eddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Windsor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, good to know there are some wargamers in the area! I'm moving next month, will trying getting in touch sometime in September. Also wondering if there are any local game shops nearby? Cheers. Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Windsor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:
Stratosaur wrote:
Thanks guys, good to know there are some wargamers in the area! I'm moving next month, will trying getting in touch sometime in September. Also wondering if there are any local game shops nearby? Cheers. Chris.

Hi Chris,

No local game shops that I know of selling wargames. There is a fellow who sells older wargames==I think near Zurich, but that's out of his home. Buying war games is problematic here. My Swiss gaming buddies all told me to "go to Germany" when I asked.

There are wargamers in Switzerland, but they are a bit thin on the ground.
Keep in mind Switzerland is a small country with excellent transportation. I wouldn't hesitate at all traveling from Basel to Zurich to play a game (and have done).

If you're open to playing Euros you'll find a bigger audience--but there are a few hardcore wargamers about--I'm one. :)

I went through the same thing you're doing when I moved here. Once you're settled please get in contact and we can compare notes.

I see you have a lot of the "1914" series from GMT. I'm designing a game in the series, and I could sure use a play tester on the ground here if you're interested.

Hi Paul, sounds great and I will definitely get in touch with you after I'm settled in. Also, I would be most interested in helping playlist your "1914" game...really enjoy that series, and as you've probably gathered from my collection, WW1 is a particular period of interest for me.
Regards, Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live near Baden AG.

Edit: I now live next to Olten, and would be happy to get in contact with wargamers in Switzerland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Guild for Switzerland

Since BGG doesn't allow new Country-Forums, and not even new Threads on the Europe-level of the forums, I present you: The Guild of Switzerland

Join the guild and make this the place where fellow geeks find answers to questions concerning anything gaming-related in Switzerland.
It's no specific for wargames, but come and join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
Luzern
Luzern (de)
flag msg tools
Hi there!

I live in Luzern and i am an Europhile though i am opened to try new games and always up for a game evening!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Iannone
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul, Chris,
I'm also based in Basel, and love to play war games. I also have a few on my own, but never manage to play them due to lack of players (most people here play euro only). And time, actually.

I also happen to know a few more people, here in Basel as well, that like the same genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls