Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for deck builders which allow you to not only place cards in your deck but also allows you to remove them.

The only games I know of are Dominion, Friday and A Few Acres of Snow. I don't count Legendary Encounters: Alien as only a few characters have the remove card ability and none of them in the first scenario.

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenon Profiteer ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The red cards in Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Arctic Scavengers you can trash card once per turn. These cards get shuffled into the junk pile. I like how the mechanic is implemented in a thematic way.

Are there deck builders that don't have some deck pruning mechanism? My only other deck builder is Star Realms which does this too. Seems necessary in this game type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
avanspronsen wrote:

Are there deck builders that don't have some deck pruning mechanism? My only other deck builder is Star Realms which does this too. Seems necessary in this game type.

I agree.. All the deck builders I've played usually start out with a set of starter cards, so pruning them out seems pretty essential in order to get your engine up and running.... otherwise the low value starter cards tend to choke the deck..

Of course, my experience in deck builders is limited to just a few Living Card Games (LCGs) and doesn't include any of the Collectible Card Games (CCG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avanspronsen wrote:

In Legendary Encounters you play a character and only a few characters have the special ability to prune their deck. Also, in A Few Acres of Snow, playing with the second edition rules you can put up to 5 cards in reserve but they can only be certain types of cards.

I bought Alien as I heard it was a deck builder and was kind of disappointed with not being able to prune your deck. It's still a fun game, but not really what I was expecting. I started this thread just so I don't get burned with another "deck builder".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains and Trains: Rising Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone and Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin have multiple ways to remove cards from your deck, most of which provide an effect or ability for the turn. (eg. "destroy one villager worth at least 1 gp to gain 4 gp.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game does this really nicely with its four factions. The Void faction specializes in monster-slaying and deck-thinning. Of course, if you go for Void cards, you're foregoing other cards of other factions to do so, and they have their own specialties and abilities. Decisions, decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DC Deck Building Games have a number of cards that allow players to remove cards from their decks throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rococo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Paperback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

Yes, in Nightfall your starter cards automatically remove themselves from the game after they attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oppedj02 wrote:
The DC Deck Building Games have a number of cards that allow players to remove cards from their decks throughout the game.

The Forever Evil set in particular is centered around card destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Surprised that no one mentioned Tanto Cuore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow and A Study in Emerald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Fzzzt!, Not strictly a deck builder, but has common/transferrable mechanisms. You buy robots which you add to your deck and production units you play on the table. Each round you get a random hand of 6 cards from all robots you own, but you can add one robot to each production unit you own between rounds to tune your robot deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in short: pretty much all of them!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
So, in short: pretty much all of them!

Exactly. Taking cards out is a pretty central mechanism in deckbuilders. It would be easier to list those that don't have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatepig wrote:
avanspronsen wrote:

In Legendary Encounters you play a character and only a few characters have the special ability to prune their deck. Also, in A Few Acres of Snow, playing with the second edition rules you can put up to 5 cards in reserve but they can only be certain types of cards.

I bought Alien as I heard it was a deck builder and was kind of disappointed with not being able to prune your deck. It's still a fun game, but not really what I was expecting. I started this thread just so I don't get burned with another "deck builder".

Don't forget the drone deck aliens that let you prune too. As LE tends to be longer than most deck builders, I never found the lower amount of pruning cards an annoyance. If you prefer some more power play, I can imagine it being a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.