Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Secret Wars, Volume 1» Forums » General

Subject: Sidekicks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All right so I have some questions on Sidekicks and how they interact with other cards, particularly Magik and Ultimate Spider (and any other heroes that has effects for 2 and 1 cost heroes). When you place a Sidekick back into it pile does that count as playing the card or is do you have to play it down and not place it back into the pile thus not getting its effect on the card but gain +1 attack for each one as per Magik's card?

The card doesn't say instead of playing this card put it back into the Sidekick stack so does that mean by doing so you have effective played the card and can generate attack from cards that the attack increases when 2 and 1 costs are played? Or do you have to not do the cards effect in order to count the card as played?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My read is that you play a Sidekick by placing it back onto the Sidekick stack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You "Play" it, but no longer "Have" it. Anything that counts cards you have, don't include Sidekicks or New Recruits. If it counts cards you've played, include them. Using the dodge effects of a card is not "Playing" it either.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that should cover all basses.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The card says 'you may return this card to the sidekick stack, if you do draw two cards' so I don't think you can consider it as being played. Playing is usually placing the card in front of you.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
32vini2 wrote:
The card says 'you may return this card to the sidekick stack, if you do draw two cards' so I don't think you can consider it as being played. Playing is usually placing the card in front of you.


Surely though in order to trigger the effect you have to play it first? If it were something that you did instead of playing it I would have expected it to say "Instead of playing this card" or in some other way specify that you don't play it. As examples; Teleport, you do something instead of playing it; Dodge, similar thing.

I see it as being the same way as timerron; you play the card, then move it as specified by the card text.

timerron wrote:
You "Play" it, but no longer "Have" it. Anything that counts cards you have, don't include Sidekicks or New Recruits. If it counts cards you've played, include them. Using the dodge effects of a card is not "Playing" it either.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that should cover all basses.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was thinking of just this question on my way to work today.

Presumably, a sidekick does count as a card you have until you 'play' it though, eg would be counted for Captain America's card before being 'played' but not after.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so if we establish that the card is played then how does it interact with say Elektra Uncommon who says, "You get +1 Attack for each Hero you played this turn that costs 1 or 2." Sidekicks are 2 cost and if we say they are played then they have to count for this or Ultimate Spider-Man's Rare or Symbiote Spider-Man's Uncommon, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGM wrote:
Okay so if we establish that the card is played then how does it interact with say Elektra Uncommon who says, "You get +1 Attack for each Hero you played this turn that costs 1 or 2." Sidekicks are 2 cost and if we say they are played then they have to count for this or Ultimate Spider-Man's Rare or Symbiote Spider-Man's Uncommon, right?

Whatever you do with a card after you play it is irrelevant to the fact that you did play it.

So if you play a card then it counts towards any card that says "for each XYZ card you played" even if that card leaves the table from in front of you; because you have played that card (you just also happen to have moved it to somewhere else.

HOWEVER it does not count towards heroes/cards that you "have" as you no longer have it in front of you or in your hand etc.

That's my take on it anyway. That seems the most logical to me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MasterGM wrote:
Okay so if we establish that the card is played then how does it interact with say Elektra Uncommon who says, "You get +1 Attack for each Hero you played this turn that costs 1 or 2." Sidekicks are 2 cost and if we say they are played then they have to count for this or Ultimate Spider-Man's Rare or Symbiote Spider-Man's Uncommon, right?
Yeah, why wouldn't they?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking, because it does make super powerful in Spider-Man decks and other onces as well. So I am just closing out the consensus in saying that the card is counted as being played by doing its effect and increases attack in the instance of Magik, Symbiote and Ultimate Spider-Man, and Elektra, but couldn't be counted for cards like Captian America for Color or Iron Fist for number because you no longer have it by the end of your hand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MasterGM wrote:
Just checking, because it does make super powerful in Spider-Man decks and other onces as well. So I am just closing out the consensus in saying that the card is counted as being played by doing its effect and increases attack in the instance of Magik, Symbiote and Ultimate Spider-Man, and Elektra, but couldn't be counted for cards like Captian America for Color or Iron Fist for number because you no longer have it by the end of your hand.
1) It's no different than New Recruits. Those juice Spidey and Elektra, too.

2) Play Cap or Iron Fist before you play the Sidekick. Although for Cap, you probably have other grey Heroes in your hand, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls