Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is kind of unrelated but hear me out. I am making a dice box out of a $3 box I bought at Michael's. It is shaped like a treasure chest and I put some rad dark finish on it so it looks old but...

1. I want to make the actual brass/cheap metal components of the treasure chest look older/worn.

2. I want to know what kind of fake blood I can put on something that has been finished. I tried cutting my fingers but they are pretty tough so that was a no go. I cut my arm but its hard to make the blood drip onto the box. So I gave up on the whole cutting myself idea because it wasn't working.

Anyways any tips would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
nathairday wrote:

1. I want to make the actual brass/cheap metal components of the treasure chest look older/worn.

If we're talking about actual brass/metal components, I think it would be easier and more realistic (and probably more durable) to just weather the components directly, rather than painting them.

I don't have much experience with weathering stuff, so I can't really advise there.

nathairday wrote:

2. I want to know what kind of fake blood I can put on something that has been finished. I tried cutting my fingers but they are pretty tough so that was a no go. I cut my arm but its hard to make the blood drip onto the box. So I gave up on the whole cutting myself idea because it wasn't working.

I... applaud(?) your commitment to realism, but I don't think cutting yourself should ever be a solution to something like this.

You could try using red wine to stain the box, perhaps thickened a bit with something (flour? syrup?) to make it a bit tacky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah I know the box you mean; I was there the other day and tried to think of a use for them.

Just sandpaper or something would probably scuff the metal up fine.

Blood dries brownish. Just use a reddish dark brown paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get some brass or gold colored paint and dry brush the covers to make them look old!

Google warhammer painting dry brush techniques

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Google warhammer painting dry brush techniques

Sound advice. Drybrushing, in combination with a generous wash (paint diluted to the point where it gets slightly ridiculous) goes a long way creating a worn, used effect.

nathairday wrote:

The key word here is (or should be) "fake". Real blood probably doesn't do the trick, because of the scale of things.

scifiantihero wrote:
Blood dries brownish. Just use a reddish dark brown paint.

Another good advice. Do this after aforementioned drybrushing and washing. For the blood you might use slightly diluted paint and apply it carefully by stippling with a large flat brush, using only the tips of the hairs (which should be inflexible as to prevent "painting").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So here it is so far after the finish had been painted on.

I'm going to add the felt today to the inside and onto the bottom. Next I'll be adding leather straps to the sides to make it look rad. Then blood. Then some worn look. Then some fire damage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Blood on things other than clothing usually just ends up looking like a mystery stain. I wouldn't bother. Plus I don't think other people would be all that keen on handling your bodily fluids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Blood on things other than clothing usually just ends up looking like a mystery stain. I wouldn't bother. Plus I don't think other people would be all that keen on handling your bodily fluids.
The whole human blood idea has been thrown out. Fake blood it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get some salt water (glass of water, add salt) and paint it on the "brass" parts... then wait a day... I'm guessing that the salt will age the cheap brass quickly ... though.. I have some of those boxes and have never tried it... the brass tends to stay shiny otherwise... but it dents really easily and that can help it look older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try an antiquing medium or polish: http://painting-crafts.com/paints/painting-mediums/folkart-a...

Should be available at your same craft shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
cornixt wrote:
The whole human blood idea has been thrown out. Fake blood it is!

Plus, blood turns brown when it dries. It'll look like red blood for a day or two, if that. At that point it will look much like something else that comes out of a living body that most people want to have even less to do with than blood. Not sure why this is even a discussion that got to this point, hasn't anyone here literally ever seen dried blood before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to do something about those cross-head screws - a fairly modern invention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
As for the blood, there's a Citadel specialty paint called "Blood for the Blood God." When it dries it looks EXACTLY like wet blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls