David Nadler
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
This game is basically "hell, yeah!" awesome for anybody who at all likes the Legendary deckbuilding mechanics. It's actually two games in one - a pure co-op where you are the team of humans trying to survive the Predator, and a pure competitive game where you are a team of predators competing to hunt human prey. This isn't a half-assed "two-games-in-one!" deal either, where they try to pass off a rules variant as though it were an entirely different game - the box comes with entirely separate sets of cards for each mode of play - only the playmat and the 12-card starting decks are shared. I suppose this is what happens when you only have two movies to work with instead of the four you had for the Aliens version, but whatever the reason I'm entirely a fan of how they approached this.

The co-op "humans" mode is like a 2nd edition of what they did with the Aliens game, with the cards and rules even more finely tuned to provide a solid challenge. I liked Legendary Aliens, and I think Legendary Predator does a better job at the co-op game even using just half of what's in the box. They also include the concept of a "minor victory", where actually killing the Predator is considered a major win, but escaping with your life is considered to be at least not losing. In one game we played, the "Get to the Choppa!" objective came out during a timeframe where the entire team was nearly dead and enemies were swarming us. I decided that escape was better than certain defeat, as did my wife. The final member of our party thought he'd try to tough it out a few turns, and then was killed on the turn that he finally decided to escape with the rest of us.

The game really shines when it goes back to its roots as a competitive deckbuilder in "Predator" mode. Unlike the original Legendary, however, where the theme of being a superhero team saving the world, yet inexplicably trying to backstab and/or outdo each other for points, this game makes perfect sense as a competition between equals. You acquire upgrades and hunt prey for honor points. If you get hit, you draw strikes that either inflict damage (that adds up to be potentially fatal) or dishonor (negative points). You can get hit by cards on the table OR by your fellow predators, who now have access to cards with a special "Duel" keyword that enables them to use their attack power directly on another player, forcing them to draw additional strikes. If you manage to kill another player, you take their character card as points for having successfully hunted them.

The game ends if either the "Ultimate Prey" gets hunted successfully (guaranteed to be somewhere in the lower third of the deck), or if a predator dies - at which point he sets off his self-destruct, giving the remaining players one more round each. A dead player can still win if they have the most honor points. About half the games I've played have ended due to a predator dying, and the other half to the Ultimate Prey getting taken down. Generally if a predator dies, he probably got his ass kicked by Jesse "The Body" Ventura. That's just how it goes.

The cards in this version of the game aren't stuck trying to do double duty as a coop-petitive game - they are designed to be played as a winner-take-all competition. You attack each other, force discards, and even can focus on healing and avoiding strikes and letting the humans kick the other players' butts for you. I really like what they did with this.

This is currently my favorite two deckbuilding games, combined into a single box. I hadn't even heard of this before going to Gencon, but I'm very happy to have braved the line to pick up a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Amey
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome review. Thanks for posting. This one has definitely been on my radar for the past few weeks, just waiting on some more feedback (and the actual retail release, of course!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
any news on how (if at all) can it be combined with aliens?

I liked aliens but to me it also felt like it was missing some variety and depth... a lot of times the turns were basically played automatically, with no interesting choice to be made.
I always thought that adding some expansion with more mechanics would fix this, but then I was surprised by the fact that predator was announced as a stand alone game. Especially compared to the marvel legendary version and all the expansions that its getting.
So I am looking forward to this not only for the predator content, but also hoping that it somehow "fixes" aliens for me. Am I wrong to have such hopes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Maravola
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MastroLindo wrote:

I liked aliens but to me it also felt like it was missing some variety and depth... a lot of times the turns were basically played automatically, with no interesting choice to be made.
I always thought that adding some expansion with more mechanics would fix this, but then I was surprised by the fact that predator was announced as a stand alone game. Especially compared to the marvel legendary version and all the expansions that its getting.
So I am looking forward to this not only for the predator content, but also hoping that it somehow "fixes" aliens for me. Am I wrong to have such hopes?

I don't know how much this will "fix" Alien, except when playing as Predators hunting the aliens, but I think that there are some great new mechanics that we will see included in the next Alien expansion due later this year. One of the nice differences between the two games is that the human role cards for predator all give strikes instead of stars, which are needed. Several have abilities that are triggered when your team coordinated with you. Then you have the new abilities- Showboat and Brothers in Arms. If you build around them, they can be very powerful. We had a player get to 21 strike in a single turn using these abilities- then he revealed the predator enemy that ends the activation immediately upon reveal- it was epic.

tlr I think that the ideas from this game will be found in the expansion for aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Show us some card images!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Christmas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the Game Mat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MastroLindo wrote:

I agree, for me the problem was if you got a couple of good cards early on in the scenario the game was over...like I got 2xdillon cards very early in the alien3 game.and not a single alien reached the combat area.
I know it was rare but once you do that you start seeing the weakness in the game.im hoping pred is a more varied game.and not just aliens with different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.