Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I recently found Pitchcar mini and Disc Duelers (DD) for the same price (30 €) on an online store. Both can be played as a racing game, and take almost the same shelf space, but there are some differences. Pitchcar mini has wood tracks and plastic barriers but can only be played as a racing game; on the other hand DD has many characters with special abilities and the chance to play as fighting game (among other variants), but it has no tracks at all, you can build a circuit with anything on the table.

Considering that, which one would you prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fun!

Pitchar Mini is a more accessible game; you can get even non-gamers playing it in moments. The tracks also look pretty cool.

Disc Duelers, as you said, has many modes. We especially enjoy team battle games.

Umm...is 'BOTH' an option?

If what you want is racing, I'd go Pitchcar. An actual 3D track with rails is just cooler and allows a lot of skillful flicking. But you may also want to get the expansion with jumps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm obviously biased, but I really love Disc Duelers. Pitch Car delivers a terrific racing experience, but odds are you'll need to buy a lot more track and components and such before you feel like you've got a complete set there - most people I know who have nice PC setups have spent a couple hundred on the various boxes.

For $30, Disc Duelers is as good as it gets in dexterity games

(plus, if you shoot me a message, I'll hook you up with sweet promo cards for the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
PitchCar gets better the more you expand it (which means the games won't be comparable in price for long). Disc Duelers is done out of the box and you don't need to worry about expanding. Plus there is a lot of content in Disc Duelers so expansions really wouldn't add much.

At the end of the day, you sacrifice a specialized game that does what it does very well (PitchCar) for a "jack of all trades/master of none" game (Disc Duelers). If you want the non-expandability and multiple play options, DD is probably the better choice.

On the flip side, I sold off Disc Duelers but have no intention of ever selling off PitchCar Mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disc Duelers is officially the game that drew me into dexterity games. the components are great quality. It's a relatively small box. There are a ton of characters and item combos to try that will keep the game fresh. Being a sandbox game, I've had a lot of fun designing my own variants. I cut out custom terrain. I even have plans to construct my own version of Flick'em Up in the World of Indines theme. The artwork is Fábio Fontes, which is a big plus, in my opinion. I'll also note that the guys at Level99 are good to their customers.

I haven't actually played Pitchcar. I assume that the tracks are pretty cool and it's on my wish list to maybe grab one of these days. That's all I can really say about it. Maybe try reading the rules for both games a see which one has more gameplay mechanics that are for you?

My vote is for Disc Duelers, but my opinion is probably less valid than those who have played both. I do really love Disc Duelers though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Tirado
Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you, guys. Unfortunately my budget can't afford both (mostly because the shopping cart is somehow full with other games). I'll get DD and see how it works as a racing game, if it don't fit my expectations, I might get Pitchcar.

jayahre wrote:

(plus, if you shoot me a message, I'll hook you up with sweet promo cards for the game!)

This was a big part of the dealbreaker for Pichtar, JR. Are you on the sales team? If not, please let Brad know your excellent work. I'll send you a GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you've had a good time with Disc Duelers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone else that should stumble upon this thread down the road:

- If a good racing game is the primary interest definitely get PitchCar or PitchCar Mini.

- If a sandbox arena battle game is of interest go for Disc Duelers.

I've run both Disc Duelers Racing Variant and PitchCar at conventions and as a racing game PitchCar is far superior in my opinion. Even with the Racing variant it still plays more like a brawl game that just happens to have a different winning condition.

Disc Duelers shines brightest in the arena battle format, though to be honest I'd actually recommend Catacombs over DD now that it's back in print.

Only reason I'm keeping DD is because it's got a much smaller footprint that is easier to travel with and works as a team game rather than one vs many when playing with more than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.