Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was sucked into two core sets for XWing. It ended up ultimately being a good decision for gameplay. I'm hearing whispers of needing 2 core sets of IA to play in skirmish games. I can't afford two core sets. I can barely afford one. So, are the Rebels and Imperials balanced out of the box in skirmishes? What about in competitive play?

Thanks for the help!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they're fine. You don't need 2 cores, especially with all the new expansions coming out.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Stark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
Yes, they're fine. You don't need 2 cores, especially with all the new expansions coming out.

-shnar

Yep. You're perfectly fine with just one base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hadz
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Definitely not. I'd go so far as to say that SW:IA is the best 1x core set experience that FFG has produced to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
You can always look online to find people selling more Officers and Royal Guards if you really want.

However with all the expansions coming you shouldn't need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Possible those whispers came from Hoth introducing four-player skirmish, in which case that might need two sets to be really workable. Might well not thing, depends how they do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Needing 2 cores for skirmish was really about getting more officers, troopers, and guards (at least in my experience)

With the new Pass rule being added to Skirmish the game now favors smaller forces instead of the original rules so 1 core set should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What made you want 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
Deano2099 wrote:
Possible those whispers came from Hoth introducing four-player skirmish, in which case that might need two sets to be really workable. Might well not thing, depends how they do it.

That's a good point. If you want to play four player Skirmish with your friends and supply armies for everyone, well, that's going to get expensive.

I'm hoping the Wookie Warriors will be a good alternative to the reliance on Royal Guards in most lists as they will be far easier to buy in the clam shell packs.
Additionally, the rule change to activations makes expensive unique characters more useful so you shouldn't need to stock up on Officers to move your Royal Guards/Wookies.

I should however state that I've never properly given Skirmish a go yet. I played two rounds with the suggested core set teams with a friend where we swapped teams. In that game the Imperial list was a lot stronger but never made use of any of the expansions.

One final question of course would be do you want to play Skirmish or do you want to compete in Skirmish tournaments? The answer to that will directly effect the need to buy another core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno EspiƱal
Portugal
Lagos
Faro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i did talk about 2 core sets being "needed" to play skirmish just for unique command cards... i know they are probably easy to buy on their own in other countries... not on mine...cards like Pummel and Regroup and Slippery Target... ok you can make house rules on their use...
I've been playing with one core set only and i love it... i just feel it a little unbalenced but maybe is just a question of strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls