Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love Star Trek, but can't seem to pin down a definitive game of it. There always seems to be an issue, either with components or gameplay. Any recs out there? Something that I'm missing, or a promising future release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains comes closest for me. Cool-enough minis, thematic gameplay with lots of references to many of the series.

If you like TOS, I also have a lot of fun with Star Trek: The Adventure Game. Campy, silly, but very thematic and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best I know is Star Trek: Expeditions. Although it's supposed to be based on J.J. Abrams' reboot, it has nothing to do with that movie and actually feels a lot like an episode of the original series.

I must say I haven't played Fleet Captains, which is definitely more popular, but I dislike the idea of mixing captains, crews and ships from all different series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Captain Is Dead

Because Star Trek is about the people aboard the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say +1 to fleet captains. That is the most true to Star Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains is a very good game with cool minis. However, I don't know if it's just us but 3 of the ships got detached from their stands just by taking them out of the box... So the quality is not very good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what factor of Star Trek you enjoy.

If you enjoy the ship battles and ship portions of the game...AND can get past some rather terrible choices in components at times...Star Trek: Fleet Captains is an absolutely awesome game which many have already commented on.

If you prefer more of a crew cooperating to overcome a mission, Star Trek: Expeditions is actually a pretty awesome game, also mentioned above. Unfortunately it only really has one mission overall...so...that can get a little tiresome...perhaps.

Not really startrek, but some consider it a better star trek game than other star trek games...Battlestations seems to be one people used to talk about.

If you don't care as much about theme, and more about gameplay, I pretty much love Star Trek: Catan as a game. If you enjoy Catan a LOT...you may actually like this game the most! But the top two have more of a startrek feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Star Trek: Expeditions . I can't understand why this game is rated so low by so many people. It really feels like an episode from TOS, and the replay is actually pretty good given the variety of potential incidents and encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can strongly recommend Federation Commander: Klingon Border. A great system with plenty of flavour. There are lots of scenarios available, everything from rescuing engineers from a moon before the local sun goes nova to seeking out Klingon saboteurs on a battleship!

Note that this is set in the 'Star Fleet' universe, an officially licensed spin-off set in the original series era (but a lot more militarised).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kai fai wong
United States
san gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains is great.i have high hope for Star Trek: Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a lot of Star Trek Five Year Mission now. It's a co-op, has good mechanisms and is hard to beat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the recs guys. There seem to be some new and planned releases which look exciting. I'll have to try out fleet captains. The components are what keep me from buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to recommend both Star Trek: Customizable Card Game (first edition) and Star Trek Customizable Card Game (Second Edition). I am biased though because I am on the design team for the former over at www.trekcc.org. (Big selling point is that both games are free to print and play these days!)

If you are looking for something more traditional, then Star Trek: Fleet Captains is not only my favorite Star Trek board game, but my favorite overall board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be looking out for Star Trek: Frontiers in 2016. A star trek re-skin of Mage Knight, with presumably some new mechanics and slightly shorter play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same high hopes for Star Trek: Frontiers here. Great potential and using Mage Knight Board Game's system in an altered way really makes sense for exploring and interacting with Star Trek's universe. Still, it's only potential so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Star Trek fan, more than Star wars, but I have to be honest here, most Star Trek licensed games I've played, especially video games, sucked. Paramount almost gives away the license to anyone just for profits.

The only sorta board game I liked was Star Fleet Battle, though technically it's more RPG, the only Star Trek video game I liked were Bridge Commander and Star Fleet Command.

I enjoy playing X-wing miniatures, I hate the crappy quality for Star Trek attack wing, it's like the company doesn't care, they just want to profit off the brand name.

So far I haven't found a Star Trek game I love, there are some OK ones, but nothing great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
The only sorta board game I liked was Star Fleet Battle, though technically it's more RPG, the only Star Trek video game I liked were Bridge Commander and Star Fleet Command.
Hold on, what about the Star Trek: Elite Force series ?

But you are right, it's hard to find any good Star Trek games, both in board game and video game format.

I still think that most of all the Hirogen have very much potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
ZeWildStar wrote:
Hold on, what about the Star Trek: Elite Force series ?

But you are right, it's hard to find any good Star Trek games, both in board game and video game format.

I still think that most of all the Hirogen have very much potential.

Elite Force was OK at best, there were lots of better shooters out there during that time. I did love the theme though, don't get me wrong, I did play MP online a number of times, but it really wasn't that good in the end. Other games out that time had more maps to offer, many had mods that had gravity on/off and transportation as well. BF2 was always my favorite to play online Quake Wars was another great game, had a Mech you can fight with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elite Force's strength is its singleplayer mode, which captures the atmosphere of the show(s) very well in my opinion. For shooter fans in general they were still solid shooters, but for Star Trek fans they were great: original voice actors, similar plot writing to the show, walking the corridors and talking to crew members, using tricorders... It was great -- for fans, who were able to appreciate and make sense of all the characters and details.

Okay, enough derailing on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
The best I know is Star Trek: Expeditions. Although it's supposed to be based on J.J. Abrams' reboot, it has nothing to do with that movie and actually feels a lot like an episode of the original series.

I must say I haven't played Fleet Captains, which is definitely more popular, but I dislike the idea of mixing captains, crews and ships from all different series.

When you play Fleet Captains you will not care. It's so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
I'm a huge Star Trek fan, more than Star wars, but I have to be honest here, most Star Trek licensed games I've played, especially video games, sucked. Paramount almost gives away the license to anyone just for profits.

I enjoy playing X-wing miniatures, I hate the crappy quality for Star Trek attack wing, it's like the company doesn't care, they just want to profit off the brand name.

So far I haven't found a Star Trek game I love, there are some OK ones, but nothing great

I absolutely loved SFC. It was absolutely awesome.

I didn't really enjoy Elite Force, normally preferred other shooters if I were to play one (Unreal, UR2003/2004, Quake Arena, Battlefield, CoD etc) at the time.

But I did enjoy Birth of the Federation. Granted, it WAS a MoO 2 ripoff (or was it basically a MoO Mod?), but I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls