4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Legendary Encounters or Galaxy Defenders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

Comparing Legendary: Encounters (Alien and Predator) to Galaxy Defenders, I have some questions:

- Which one is more thematic and has better narrative/immersion?
- LE playtime is 45 minutes, GD is 120 minutes according to BGG. Is that true?
- Which one scales better, since both games have the same player count?
- I assume that LE is more accessible to casual gamers because the rules seem simpler?
- Which one provides a deeper experience (more decisions/strategy)

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are fairly different games outside of the fact that they are co-ops with an alien theme. Galaxy Defenders is basically a dungeon crawler while Legendary functions more like a battle in various locations. LE is easier to learn and play but requires as much setup as GD really because it's a lot of cards to sort. I think LE are more horror than they are alien and they can be very brutal. GD as I said is a dungeon crawl that just uses aliens. The times are about accurate. I like both games a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I can only answer a few of the questions specific to LE

- Which one is more thematic and has better narrative/immersion? LE has an enemy deck (the hive) which contains events and hazards from the movies and creatures as well. Each movie is broken down into a 3 part mission with objectives for moving through the major events of the movie. For example, in Alien the Nostromo receives an SOS from an alien ship and was instructed to head to the source. This is simulated by needing to hear the SOS (find 2 cards in the hive deck.) The flavor text on the cards including their names can be fun. I have a house rule that all cards featuring Bill Paxton's character from Aliens has to be read aloud in character to be played.

- LE playtime is 45 minutes. Is that true? In my experience, the games are typically 1 hr with 3 people. It runs a little longer with more people, but not much, since the enemy deck that you fight only gets 3 extra cards to encounter per player added. If someone dies early, we usually just reset and try again. Nobody wants to sit there for 30-40 mins while everyone else plays. My group tried to play with the alien player (someone dies and comes back as the alien), but it's basically just there to end the game in a round or two.

- Which one scales better, since both games have the same player count? LE can be played with 5, but since it is a deck builder, you get fewer turns to build up your deck. There are ways to play so that the decks build faster, but the experience with 2 players is vastly different from 5. This isn't so much a problem as simply something to be aware of.

- I assume that LE is more accessible to casual gamers because the rules seem simpler? I have introduced it to my family of nongamers and with the exception of an aunt who has trouble reading small text, everyone caught on pretty quickly.

- Which one provides a deeper experience (more decisions/strategy) At the end of the day, LE is a deckbuilder. If you have played one deckbuilder, you really have played them all. With the PVP added in predator and the traitors from Alien, there is sufficient variety to shake things up in the game. There can be good strategy coordinating who builds their deck a particular way and how. This becomes much more pronounced in LE Predator because of changes in how certain cards work.

I spent about $50 on my copy of LE:Alien and another ~$70 getting Predator at GenCon. I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of Alien ($1.25 per play currently) and expect to get a similar value from Predator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers

Would Galaxy Defenders be accessible to Casual Gamers when at least one experienced gamer knows all the rules? Or would they still be overwhelmed at deciding what to do - without being bossed around by experienced gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls